Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oven not working or oven switch?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I will call an electrician but am looking for some advice until then.
    We have a freestanding oven and hob and they are powered by a red switch in wall. I went to turn it on this morning and nothing. The switch light didn't glow red as normal.
    Has anyone had this before? Am hoping it's just a fuse or something and not the oven itself that needs replacing!

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the light on the switch isn't working, It's not likely to be an oven fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Most likely the wall switch or the trip switch at the fusebox needs replacing. A good electrician should have you sorted in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

Thank you, yeah the light didn't come on at all! Will call electrician in morning, guess it's take away for dinner:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Had that just before Christmas . Electrician replaced the switch and everything was working again :)
    We survived the take away, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Thank you, yeah the light didn't come on at all! Will call electrician in morning, guess it's take away for dinner:-)

Might be a stupid question but have you checked the fuseboard to see if any of the fuses or mcb's have tripped before you call an electrician and pay him to flick a switch?
    The oven will be on its own mcb/fuse.

• Advertisement

aido79 wrote:
    Might be a stupid question but have you checked the fuseboard to see if any of the fuses or mcb's have tripped before you call an electrician and pay him to flick a switch? The oven will be on its own mcb/fuse.

Ha ha I did, well I called my husband at work and he told me to check and it hasn't tripped.

Had that just before Christmas . Electrician replaced the switch and everything was working again :)
    We survived the take away, too.

Cheshire Cat do you mind if I ask how much he charged? He's coming out tomorrow and want to have a rough idea.
    Thank you

He fixed another minor issue, too it wasn't just the switch. I paid €60.- that included the switch he supplied. I'm based in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He fixed another minor issue, too it wasn't just the switch. I paid €60.- that included the switch he supplied. I'm based in Galway.

Can I assume that he did not provide you with a vat receipt?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Can I assume that he did not provide you with a vat receipt?

I did get a receipt. Have to find it and have a closer look.

• Advertisement
Advertisement