Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone sellers selling locked phones

Options
  • 15-01-2017 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

What is the point of selling locked phones when the sellers themselves can just unlock it and increase its value?

I see them say on adverts.ie - "sure, it's only a tenner or fifteen to unlock".
    If this were true dear seller (which it is not), how about you get it unlocked and add the cost to your phone price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

biko wrote: »
    What is the point of selling locked phones when the sellers themselves can just unlock it and increase its value?

If this were true dear seller (which it is not), how about you get it unlocked and add the cost to your phone price?

Too much hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

It's the equivalent of a car for sale that will "fly through the NCT"

Just unlock it. It limits buyers to those that are on that network. If it's locked and not to my network I'll just pass and find one unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

biko wrote:

Because the advantage is to sell to someone on the same network without incurring an unnecessary unlocking charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Seems to me that buying used phones is just a minefield of problems. Locks, blocked, broken, damaged, etc. Most of them aren't that much cheaper, and many are even dearer than new prices.

That said its hard to find any phone on sale new, that doesn't have know issues. Which the manufactures won't fix/patch.

The unlock is much easier for the first owner. I suspect many just can't be bothered. Most people haven't a clue how their phone works.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

biko wrote: »

It's a good cover story when you're selling a stolen phone which has been blacklisted.

Recent example in a thread over in Consumer Issues ..... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057693125

• Advertisement
Advertisement