Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can My Rent Increase?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently living in an apartment with the following happening over the last few leases:

2014:
    Moved in to property. Rent set at 1800 per month.

2015:
    Stayed in property with same roommates. Rent increased to 1950 per month.

2016:
    Stayed in property with new housemates. Signed new lease with same. Rent remained at 1950 per month.

The questions is, pursuant to the legislation on rental increases (http://www.moneyguideireland.com/new-rules-on-restricting-rent-increases.html), can the rent go up this year if:

a) All of us currently living here remain.
    b) One person leaves and we sign a new lease.

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Your rent stayed the same in 2016 as here is/was a 2 year rent freeze in place. If your apartment is in a rent pressure zone i.e. Dublin or Cork then the rent can be increased up to 4% once 12 months have passed from your last increase or in your case when your current fixed term lease is up. Who is living there has no bearing on it. In terms of when the part I've started is when the first signatory to the lease moved in/signed the lease.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Your rent stayed the same in 2016 as here is/was a 2 year rent freeze in place. If your apartment is in a rent pressure zone i.e. Dublin or Cork then the rent can be increased up to 4% once 12 months have passed from your last increase or in your case when your current fixed term lease is up. Who is living there has no bearing on it. In terms of when the part I've started is when the first signatory to the lease moved in/signed the lease.

The 2 year rent freeze came into place in January 2016. The OP has stated their rent was increased to 1950 in 2015. The landlord is entitled to review the rent 2 years hence from when it was last reviewed (i.e. the 2015 increase). When a review can happen- depends on when in 2015 the rent was increased- but almost certainly it is in 2017 at some stage (subject, of course, to the correct notice period being applied etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭meor

Thanks guys. Looks like there'll be a 4% increase so.

Advertisement