Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There are 6 different modes (solo, duo, squads and some variants).
    I think the button to change mode is X or Y when you're on the "Get Ready" screen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I had one go of Fortnite last night and ran around not having a clue what to do. Everyone I tried shooting at seemed to be on my team?!

I'll give it another go when I'm not so tired!

If someone is on your team they'll have a white arrow/marker above their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,026 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Somewhat translated.

"Assist trophy. As the camera gets closer and closer to the live performers, the range of fighting becomes narrower. Please be careful not to listen to live!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I had one go of Fortnite last night and ran around not having a clue what to do. Everyone I tried shooting at seemed to be on my team?!

Had a few games earlier. Bitta craic. Got #1 of 99 players in my second game. I'll enjoy that fluke now before people get too good!

• Advertisement

FORTNITE ON NINTENDO SWITCH HAS BEEN DOWNLOADED 2 MILLION TIMES IN ITS FIRST DAY

http://ign.com/articles/2018/06/13/e3-2018-fortnite-on-nintendo-switch-has-been-downloaded-2-million-times-in-its-first-day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭SeanHarty

jester77 wrote: »

Is that "star bundle" with zelda at the discounted rate or will there be more off tomorrow? Looks like a good deal.

Nintendo expects Switch ports to arrive much sooner starting next year

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17460528/nintendo-switch-multiplatform-games-delay-fortnite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I'm hopeless at this fortnite. How do you play it:) all I have is this axe thing and then I run around and die!

• Advertisement

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm hopeless at this fortnite. How do you play it:) all I have is this axe thing and then I run around and die!

Been playing a while on ps4 best tips I can give are...

1. Wait until the far side of the map, loads of people jump straight away.
    2. Drop in locations with no name, there will still be good loot in houses especially the attic.
    3. Don't go to tilted towers.
    4. Learn how to build and fast! It will give you an edge on fights and with it being brand new a lot of people won't be that good at it yet! Get ahead of the crowd!
    5. Use the storm and edge of the map to your advantage! Keep it covering your six and you won't have to worry about it! Also the storm is slow moving at first and doesn't do a lot of damage so don't panic if it creeps up on you.
    6. Have fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

SeanHarty wrote: »

2. Drop in locations with no name, there will still be good loot in houses especially the attic.
    4. Learn how to build and fast! It will give you an edge on fights and with it being brand new a lot of people won't be that good at it yet! Get ahead of the crowd!
    5. Use the storm and edge of the map to your advantage! Keep it covering your six and you won't have to worry about it! Also the storm is slow moving at first and doesn't do a lot of damage so don't panic if it creeps up on you.
    6. Have fun!

The game is cross platform so your likely to be up against people who've been playing for a while though aren't you?

I've been playing 50v50 tonight. Found it a little easier to stay alive for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I play a lot on x box right now and gave switch a go. Poor thing wasn't used since January.
    For what it is, its okay port, on the other and very hard to play in handheld mode. Its a good point to start for new comers as there are a lot of new players. I started a month ago on xbox and 7 year olds were crushing me ( still are, but at least I can bite back ). Not so much on Switch, unless you run in in to skins. A good lash of of veterans smurfing on switch too.

I would recommend watching a few vidoes to get a grip and concept what to do. Go to a few locations to learn loot spawns and then have a at least one spot in each corner of map where you feel comfortable.
    As others say: go to busy places for now to learn combat, but I would highly suggest to avoid Tilted towers. You wont learn anything there as its cluster ****. Shifty shafts, retail park, anarchy fields, lonely lodge etc. Traffic is busy there, but its not mad and you can learn more in 1v1, instead of getting shot by 7 people of towers.

And most importantly: switch controller layout to "builder pro". Its the only way to play. Do it now, before you get used to standard layout and then will need to relearn everything.

You can filter it to just have your platform as far as I know?

Think that's the default anyway?

I could be wrong though!

Why Nintendo didn’t show Metroid Prime 4 at E3
    When’s the next time we’ll see it?

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2018/6/13/17460856/nintendo-metroid-prime-4-not-at-e3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

SeanHarty wrote: »

6. Have fun!

Good advice.

A lot of non named places have amazing loot. Craters are good source too. For very long time the northern crater was my drop off location as you could get 3 chests in there with very little traffic. Next to it house with loot and one chest. Its a great vantage location to move in to motel and you will be geared for fight.
    Very true about working the edge, never run to the center. I would even say, that best place to hang around is between storm and next circle, then slowly move in when storms starts closing in.
    Building is very important, for new players I would recommend to at least learn how to build a simple ramp with a wall before engagements. Even that little elevation will help, well, it wont help vs veteran, but new player most likely will just stand in the middle of field and try shoot at you while you are in cover.

Another one: on switch, for new players I would recommend squads. Not because someone will carry you, but because solos are filled with good players. New players favour squads. You might get lucky and get a vet, so fallowing him and seeing what he does will help learn faster.

Thanks lads, I just got dunked in at the deep end, no tutorial or anything and I really hadn't a clue what to do. I'll watch a few videos and try learn a trick or two. For now I run around aimlessly, find a gun and then get shot before I can even take aim.
    I'm curious to see what all the fuss is about though.

Ok hands up who knew sligeach was actually Irish for sligo and pronounced sligo? You learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭Nollog

Ok hands up who knew sligeach was actually Irish for sligo and pronounced sligo? You learn something new everyday.

https://i.imgur.com/Q6qk4I0.jpg probably a few people.

What's going to blow your mind is he has his location set as "Leitrim".

453326.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

^^^ What film is Mr. Vagina Eyes starring in there? He played one of the characters in the under appreciated Until Dawn game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Pac1Man wrote: »
    ^^^ What film is Mr. Vagina Eyes starring in there? He played one of the characters in the under appreciated Until Dawn game.

It's the TV show Mr Robot (it's great)

Famitsu have reviewed Mario Tennis Aces. They scored it 33/40. Which when broken down, was three 8's and one 9.

Some details for Octopath Traveler regarding game length.
    • 50-60 hours for the main story
    • 80-100 if you complete all the sub-stories.
    • 3 hour time limit for the demo

https://old.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/8qw434/octopath_traveller_is_80100_hours_long_and_the/

Presumably you'd be able to get around the 3 hour limit (multiple save slots or profiles) but you'd only be able to carry over one save.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OctopathTraveller/comments/8qqzzk/new_prologue_demo_limited_to_3_hours_of_playtime/

https://youtu.be/8O-ZUXGcuWU?t=5h30m12s

Nintendo forgot to talk about its paid online service at E3
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is coming out this year, but Nintendo didn't say anything about the Nintendo Switch Online service you'll need to play it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-forgot-to-talk-about-its-paid-online-service-at-e3/

They raise an interesting observation about Nintendo's cumbersome online setup.
    Take the Splatoon 2 voice-chat setup for example. In order to chat with your team in an online match, you'll need to download the Nintendo Switch Online App on your phone, invite your friends to a phone-based VoIP chat, and then connect to your match. Want to hear game audio and voice comms in the same headset? You'll need to buy a complicated audio splitter to literally tether your console to your phone.

It's a messy, cumbersome experience and, frankly, it's not good enough.

Even Nintendo seems to agree: Look carefully at the consoles and headsets being used in this week's official Splatoon 2 World Championship, and you won't find the complicated adapter. In fact, the headsets the players are using seem to plug directly into the Switch dock's USB port.
    tumblr_pa6rbojreP1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Dfc6yCNVMAA7MPG.jpg

Competitors in the Splatoon 2 World Championship didn't have to use the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app for team voice chat -- so why should the rest of us?

I had to use different images than what's on CNET as they won't let me copy their links but it shows the same setup with not a phone in sight. It just goes to show it's doable but Nintendo won't allow it for whatever reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

As far as I know this is over LAN play in Splatoon 2. They've always allowed you to just plug a headset in to the Switch directly for LAN play....

Now to only allow for then to allow it during online play... ad Fortnite has shown can be done.

I think someone at Nintendo thought the app idea would make for a more complete, concrete feeling suite of online features that would come together as something that would feel very premium.

But it didn't come together like they imagined, and now it's too late to turn back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I think someone at Nintendo thought the app idea would make for a more complete, concrete feeling suite of online features that would come together as something that would feel very premium.

But it didn't come together like they imagined, and now it's too late to turn back.

Someone in Nintendo really just needs to show some leadership and say enough on this. They are forcing their customers to use a really terrible approach to an utterly basic requirement of console gaming for no appreciable reason.

They seem really tone deaf to things that will cause ill will amongst the people they are trying to sell their stuff to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sligeach wrote: »
    Nintendo forgot to talk about its paid online service at E3
    Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is coming out this year, but Nintendo didn't say anything about the Nintendo Switch Online service you'll need to play it.

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-forgot-to-talk-about-its-paid-online-service-at-e3/

They raise an interesting observation about Nintendo's cumbersome online setup.

I had to use different images than what's on CNET as they won't let me copy their links but it shows the same setup with not a phone in sight. It just goes to show it's doable but Nintendo won't allow it for whatever reasons.

Nintendo do allow it, they just don't themselves. Splatoon has always allowed it over LAN without the app and Fortnite supports voice chat without using the app, its been opened to third parties since April. Afaik newer Dev SKUs all carry it.

• Advertisement

Piracy was enabled today. I won't link to anything and from what I can tell it's been possible for quite a while, for free. It's a little convoluted so regular pirates wouldn't have known how, until now.

If you do look it up, know it's so easy for Nintendo to tell what you're doing.

Switch banwave should follow in a few weeks.

Advertisement