Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In-Game I assume. I expect there is lots of cosmetic IAP in that game, it's how they make their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Someone on Reddit got Crash Bandicoot and Wolfenstein 2 early and is posting first impressions here.

Sounds pretty good. Getting Wolf 2 to play as well as he's saying on a portable console is insane, whoever did the port (Panic Button?) is top notch by my reckoning.

• Advertisement

Fortnite 4.5 is out on Switch today, improving performance, adding "Playground" mode, adding new weapons and more.

Playground mode gives you an hour to explore, practice building, play with your friends and learn where all the chests are.

Patch Notes: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/patch-notes/v4-5
    (Scroll down to Battle Royale)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/fortnite_v4_5_arrives_today_with_new_weapons_modes_and_improved_switch_performance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rhyme wrote: »
    Someone on Reddit got Crash Bandicoot and Wolfenstein 2 early and is posting first impressions here.

Sounds pretty good. Getting Wolf 2 to play as well as he's saying on a portable console is insane, whoever did the port (Panic Button?) is top notch by my reckoning.

I wonder if Wolfenstein 2 worth the premium, buying it on the Switch for what will be top money, or spending less getting it on another format with DLC included?
    It's only around €22 on the PS4, and the DLC is probably another €20 or so.
    But then, Wolfenstein 2 on the go...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I wonder if Wolfenstein 2 worth the premium, buying it on the Switch for what will be top money, or spending less getting it on another format with DLC included?

That's the question at the heat of this, is portability worth the drop in value of the 'deal'. For some, yes. For others, no. I think the big guyers will be people with a Switch but no other console and no pc that can play it. Within that group might be parents of kids with the Switch who want something more adult (within their own closed profile of course). I'd like to hear from that group as it's probably bigger than I think;

Kid gets Switch and Mario. Parent, behind the scenes, gets DOOM, Skyrim and Wolfenstein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

I wouldn't say so. I didn't even think it was worth it on PS4.

The game is easy to complete within 12 hours or so and once you've hit all the main story beats then they aren't worth going back to. The story isn't that great, in my opinion.

The past couple of years worth of releases of so many great open world titles has kind of clouded how I would compare the cost of games. BotW with 150+ hours at 60 Euro vs Wolfenstein 2 with 20 to 30 hours max at 60 euro just makes Wolfenstein feel unappealing.

I am also unconvinced that games like Doom and Wolfenstein (and possible future games in this kind of "cinematic storytelling" style) are well suited to portable mode.

If these were being released side by side then MAYBE I would go for the Switch version. Getting the Switch version 9 months after the first release when the game is already 50 to 60% off on PS is just... blegh.

I think the biggest disappointment for me with some of these AAA ports (Skyrim, Doom, FIFA) is that the don't offer any Switch exclusive content (besides portable mode) to make up for the other shortcomings.

A nice prologue chapter or and extra main story chapter or 2 or an additional weapon or character or anything might sway me but currently it's just
    graphically inferior, more expensive and late to the party BUT it's portable.

Despite all that I still think Switch Skyrim is the absolute best version of the game and they should really REALLY do Fallout 3 and New Vegas!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The argument of the value of a game being tied, or not, to the games length is one that has been had over on the games forum for ages, certainly it has popped up too on the Arcade and Retro forum too.
    Yes, it's great to be caught up in a game like Skyrim for so long, but at the same time this shouldn't dilute the attraction of Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation, which is much much shorter.
    I go to the pictures and blow €20 on tickets and snacks for 2 hours of entertainment, but I wouldn't have a problem spending €50/60 on a game that delivers 15 hours entertainment, particularly if, like Wolfenstein on the PS4, it was an exceptional fps.
    A great example of this was Titanfall 2, that game at full price was worth every penny, representing the premium first person shooter experience of this generation, despite not being that long.

I see your point about portable mode and cinematic gaming, but then you can just dock it!
    That said, if Wolfenstein II can make the jump to the Switch, there really is no excuse not to bring tons of other non-Switch titles along.

Does the Switch version include the DLC? Or is it in a season pass?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Figment review, colourful looking isometric puzzle adventure:

Super Bomberman R, the game that keeps on giving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Super Bomberman R, the game that keeps on giving!

Doesn't even mention the Switch as a console at the end! Shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Does the Switch version include the DLC? Or is it in a season pass?

Just the base game for now. I expect the dlc will be purchase-able at a later point. Depending on base game sales.

It's a weird one it looks great but i already have it on PS4 and couldn't get around to finishing it. It just didn't grab me like the first one did. I loved that.

Mr E wrote: »
    Fortnite 4.5 is out on Switch today, improving performance, adding "Playground" mode, adding new weapons and more.

In case anyone is wondering, playground mode had issues and was disabled shortly after launch. Hopefully they can get it up and running soon.

Had a 2nd place on solo last night. Pretty proud of that. The win is just around the corner. :)

chrislad wrote: »
    Doesn't even mention the Switch as a console at the end! Shocking!

That is just weird!

I own it for the Switch but have spent all of 20 minutes on it since then!
    I must pop it on for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Had a 2nd place on solo last night. Pretty proud of that. The win is just around the corner. :)

It's a bit annoying that stats aren't being tracked on the switch. Having much more success on switch than xbox so wouldn't mind if they buffed out my career stats :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

The argument of the value of a game being tied, or not, to the games length is one that has been had over on the games forum for ages, certainly it has popped up too on the Arcade and Retro forum too.
    Yes, it's great to be caught up in a game like Skyrim for so long, but at the same time this shouldn't dilute the attraction of Metal Gear Solid on the Playstation, which is much much shorter.
    I go to the pictures and blow €20 on tickets and snacks for 2 hours of entertainment, but I wouldn't have a problem spending €50/60 on a game that delivers 15 hours entertainment, particularly if, like Wolfenstein on the PS4, it was an exceptional fps.
    A great example of this was Titanfall 2, that game at full price was worth every penny, representing the premium first person shooter experience of this generation, despite not being that long.

I see your point about portable mode and cinematic gaming, but then you can just dock it!
    That said, if Wolfenstein II can make the jump to the Switch, there really is no excuse not to bring tons of other non-Switch titles along.

Yeah, ultimately, you are right. A good game is a good game and the price is what it is.

It's just the way I feel about the "AAA" scene these days. I sat down with God of War and was done within a week and although the game is great actually I was left thinking "is this it" and feel like I got more out of Far Cry 5.

To be fair one persons mindless, Ubisoft style, busy work, filler can be someone elses 7pm to 10pm after work every day for 3 months. :D

• Advertisement

King Reggie discussing some of the potential Eshop adjustments for Switch upcoming

https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-committed-to-improving-switch-eshop-curation-says-coo/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Moto GP 2018 is out now. Gameplay apparently is good. Graphics are supposed to be a tad blurry. But a decent version of the game. Will wait for reviews on this.

Moto GP 2018 is out now. Gameplay apparently is good. Graphics are supposed to be a tad blurry. But a decent version of the game. Will wait for reviews on this.
    All the posts out there are the same regurgitated press release.
    But it seems that the PS4/XB1 are also slightly off with a locked 30fps.
    Also, no option to map the throttle/brake to the right thumb stick on any version of it, which will impact particularly on the Switch version.

Apologies it if was mentioned already, but you can sign up for a beta of Arena of Valor on the Switch here:

I just got a Beta Code for this (and I applied just before I posted here).
    Hopefully some of you got a code too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

I just got a Beta Code for this (and I applied just before I posted here).
    Hopefully some of you got a code too.

I just got one too! Looking forward to getting home and trying it!

A tweet just posted on Reddit seems to lend some truth that Ubisoft have created a game engine specifically for the Nintendo Switch. I'd call that good news :) Even a few Far Cry or Assassin Creed ports would be very welcome.

"We've created a new engine just for our project, called "Codename: SnowFX"
    It's an engine created especially for Nintendo Switch, supports new features and visuals. We're working on it since two years now and the results are pretty interresting. We'll showcase this engine ASAP !"

Text pasted from the Reddit discussion as I can't access the original tweet from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Very unlikely, but imagine horizon zero dawn port for switch. Id be MIA for months!

Very unlikely, but imagine horizon zero dawn port for switch. Id be MIA for months!

That'd be some shift. It'd bring some serious (second hand) muscle to the Switch as well. There was plenty of whiffs of such things on the Wii-U with Assassins' Creed etc so it'd be more than welcome now.

I tend to stop buying and playing games entirely when life pops its head up so there are huge slots of time in the past ten years where games passed me by. The opportunity to go back to those empty slots would be very welcome.

Feckin' life. Always getting in the way. :o

• Advertisement

Advertisement