Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

Amazon Italy seems to suggest that Dark Souls will get a release on 31st August.
    https://www.amazon.it/Dark-Souls-Remastered-PlayStation-4/dp/B079NCC8KT

which is 3 months after other platforms, disappointingly.

I've been waiting for this for ages, i never played these first time around and only got in a small bit of bloodborne on my ps4 before my baby was born and i dropped it in favour of a switch.

EDIT: found on resetera: https://www.resetera.com/threads/bloodborne-2-sunset-overdrive-2-dreams-release-date-more-leaked-by-amazon-italy.52711/)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Amazon Italy seems to suggest that Dark Souls will get a release on 31st August.
    https://www.amazon.it/Dark-Souls-Remastered-PlayStation-4/dp/B079NCC8KT

which is 3 months after other platforms, disappointingly.

I've been waiting for this for ages, i never played these first time around and only got in a small bit of bloodborne on my ps4 before my baby was born and i dropped it in favour of a switch.

EDIT: found on resetera: https://www.resetera.com/threads/bloodborne-2-sunset-overdrive-2-dreams-release-date-more-leaked-by-amazon-italy.52711/)

About time.
    Also, my GS order of Solaire is taking an age to come!
    Bloodborne is the game of this hardware generation, BotW and MO not withstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Velocity 2X is coming out next month on Switch.
    Seems to have been very well regarded when it originally came out on PS4/Vita.
    I like the look of it.

Original trailer below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Taito releasing 'Ninja Warriors Again' for Switch in 2019. A nice, hidden gem for the SNES. Looks like it'll updated etc like Wild Guns Reloaded.

https://gematsu.com/2018/07/ninja-warriors-again-announced-for-switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »
    Velocity 2X is coming out next month on Switch.
    Seems to have been very well regarded when it originally came out on PS4/Vita.
    I like the look of it.

Original trailer below.

I had it on the Vita, and I quite enjoyed it. I never got around to finishing it, but it was a decent game. That said, I hope it's priced well. Anything more than a tenner and I doubt I'd bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

3rd party headset display compatible with Switch and mobile phones, not VR. 120" virtual screen size @ 1280 x 800, £156. Not my cup of tea tbh.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/random_nintendo_switch_is_getting_its_own_vr-style_headset_but_theres_a_catch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Andrew76 wrote: »
    3rd party headset display compatible with Switch and mobile phones, not VR. 120" virtual screen size @ 1280 x 800, £156. Not my cup of tea tbh.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/07/random_nintendo_switch_is_getting_its_own_vr-style_headset_but_theres_a_catch

Can't see many people spending the money tbh

Hotline Miami Double pack on Switch would be beast

And Broforce! Loved that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Rhyme wrote: »
    That makes me a bit sad. I watch Let's Play videos on SomethingAwful of games I am awful at or can't play due to not having the appropriate console and the majority of these people are very good at games from practice and intuition. The majority of those people make their videos in the evenings or at the weekends around their full-time job. Gaming is their hobby and passion.

Then there are people who play games for their job and are bad at them. I don't know.

Back to Switch Games New and Releases. Pre-ordered Okami HD last night, very reasonable price. The game downloaded and it tore me apart as I knew, tucked away in my Switch is the game but I can't play it. My wife couldn't help but laugh at my (childish) sad face.

Debating between playing the Octopath Traveller demo again over the weekend or buying Crash Bandicoot. Anyone experience any input lag on the latter? That would be the main thing that would make me not buy it.

Did you play Hollow Knight yet? I'm loving it so far and very reasonable at €15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you play Hollow Knight yet? I'm loving it so far and very reasonable at €15.

I've heard that it's hard as balls but very good. I'll look at a few gameplay videos before I take the plunge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,329 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I've heard that it's hard as balls but very good. I'll look at a few gameplay videos before I take the plunge.

It's not that hard. If you take your time it's very manageable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Debating between playing the Octopath Traveller demo again over the weekend or buying Crash Bandicoot. Anyone experience any input lag on the latter? That would be the main thing that would make me not buy it.

I don't know about the input lag. I have it on PS4 and it seems to run fine. It's also so goddamn difficult!

Would be nice to have it portable but I already have Mario Odyssey and DK Tropical Freeze so I've got my platformer bases covered for a while.

If it's turn based you're after then I quite liked Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Darkest Dungeon is a good turn based game too, in my opinion.

As others have said, Hollow Knight is one of the absolute best releases in the last while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think its hard as balls, its not unfair or stupid hard you just need to pay attention. I've diabolical reaction times but am managing okay, its similarish to Dark Souls combat style of stay safe until you know when to attack safely. Smarts, attention and a little patience are all you need to power through though imo. If you're sloppy, then yes, te game will tear you to pieces.

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I don't know about the input lag. I have it on PS4 and it seems to run fine. It's also so goddamn difficult!

Would be nice to have it portable but I already have Mario Odyssey and DK Tropical Freeze so I've got my platformer bases covered for a while.

If it's turn based you're after then I quite liked Battle Chasers: Nightwar

Darkest Dungeon is a good turn based game too, in my opinion.

As others have said, Hollow Knight is one of the absolute best releases in the last while.

Crash Bandicoot is something I've been wanting to get for a while, so delighted it came to the Switch. I had played it on and off on the PSOne years and years ago, but never finished them. I had no issue with input lag, BUT, and it seems to be a common opinion, Crash 1 had controls changed a bit, and it's made the game a bit more difficult. Most people advise to jump straight into Crash 2 and 3, and then come back to 1. I've played the first 10 levels of so of Crash 1, got really frustrating, losing 30 lives on one part, and Crash 2 just seems to be more fluid. It may be done to that fact that there was no analog input for Crash 1, where Crash 2 and 3 did have it. I'm about 7 levels into Crash 2, and it's definitely more fun than one, but still pretty challenging once you move past the first set of levels.

Some of the bosses are pretty hard, but the ones that are REALLY hard as balls are optional bosses. The main story line bosses are all manageable, even if you die a few times learning their tells and movements.

You're really doing yourself a disservice by not getting it, if you love Metroid or Castlevania, or the likes of Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, or Shadow Complex. If you hate those games, it may be something to avoid, but for me, as I've never gotten into the Dark Souls series, I found it challenging, but never unfair, and a joy to play thoughout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

chrislad wrote: »
    Some of the bosses are pretty hard, but the ones that are REALLY hard as balls are optional bosses. The main story line bosses are all manageable, even if you die a few times learning their tells and movements.

You're really doing yourself a disservice by not getting it, if you love Metroid or Castlevania, or the likes of Axiom Verge, Guacamelee, or Shadow Complex. If you hate those games, it may be something to avoid, but for me, as I've never gotten into the Dark Souls series, I found it challenging, but never unfair, and a joy to play thoughout.

I was a big fan of Castlevania and Metroid when I was younger but I've found I've become a different gamer these days. Frustration and repetition are not things I really put up with in games but I'm always willing to push myself for a worthwhile game. I'll put Hollow Knight on the watch list (it's a short list and everything on it gets bought eventually) and snag Crash Bandicoot when I get home today.

I was a big fan of Castlevania and Metroid when I was younger but I've found I've become a different gamer these days. Frustration and repetition are not things I really put up with in games but I'm always willing to push myself for a worthwhile game. I'll put Hollow Knight on the watch list (it's a short list and everything on it gets bought eventually) and snag Crash Bandicoot when I get home today.

I agree completely, which is why I've tried Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3, as well as Bloodbourne and never put more than 2 hours into any of them. I don't have time for that.

I've put close to 30 into Hollow Knight. "Dark Souls Metroid" is a lazy way of putting it. There's some frustrating parts, but it's open enough that you can do level up and get some new skills and make things easier.

Picked this up last night so I haven't had a proper chance to play it
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17537928/pocket-rumble-review-nintendo-switch

Pocket Rumble and it's a love letter to the under appreciated fighting games that appeared on the Neo Geo Pocket Color.
    I have one of these and many of the best games for it too, so I know that this is going to be a delight and, judging by the limited time I had with it, it's not going to disappoint.
    Plus, it's pretty cheap on the SA store as well.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm another who couldn't get into Dark Souls and yet despite Hollow Knight being quite punishing I can't put it down. The best two things I can say about the difficulty is that it's always your mistake when you die, and there's no satisfaction like it when you finally get good/lucky enough and beat a difficult boss.

I actually shouted and fist pumped earlier after beating a boss I had tried about 30 times. A 36 year old grown man fist pumping in his living room alone. It's that kind of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Totally agree about Hollow Knight - just over 15 hours in myself. It's a game the Switch was made for IMHO, just like the Steamworld games (whereas I recently sold my copy of Doom, after playing it for an hour and admiring what they did to get it to run; but really no need to have it on the Switch if you can play it on PC or elsewhere).

I'm totally Hollow Knight addicted right now, just want more of these types of games whenever this experience is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I hear people are getting bored of Wii U ports. Well how about, to freshen things up, Wii ports with very little apparent improvements!

Go Vacation, which was a genuinely quite fun multiplayer Wii game, is getting ported to the switch.

As I said, I liked the game on my Wii, but apart from upping the resolution there doesn't look much else new, which is pretty sh!te.
    Switch

Wii

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

2D Fighter Skullgirls coming to Switch

2D Fighter Skullgirls coming to Switch

That game looks nuts. Is it any good?

Some news about the content in Octopath Traveler on Siloconera. It might be considered spoilery.

Linky :
    (And yes, I did need to "spoiler" the url because the url itself is pretty descriptive of what's going on.)
    Nintendo France revealed a new tidbit regarding Octopath Traveler at Japan Expo 2018 in France. Masashi Takahashi, the game’s producer, and Yasunori Nishiki, its composer, appeared to announce four “secret” jobs. These are the Augur, Enchanter, Rune Lord and Warlord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That game looks nuts. Is it any good?

I just bought it on Steam a few days ago but I haven't tried it yet. It's widely regarded as a fantastic game for newcomers to the genre which is why I picked it up.

There are a few long YouTube videos out there explaining in detail why it is so good in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Skullgirls is great but its more like Blazblu in difficulty than something like street fighter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Pocket Rumble .... pretty cheap on the SA store as well.

FYI €6.84 in South Africa, €3.36 in Russia.

At that price, it would be rude not to. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

For whatever reason I ended up watching some Warframe conference. Coming to Switch, developed by Panic Button.

Advertisement