Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,328 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

keane2097 wrote: »
    That's good for you buddy, I'm proud of you and your nimble fingers :)

It's more I'm slow typing on Switch but sssssh :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Honestly this feigned inability to understand why a browser on the Switch would be great is bizarre.

So, people are pretending to believe that a Switch browser is irrelevant?

I would say that a browser on any gaming device is pretty much in the second tier of requirements of any console.
    I mean, it's a thing I guess, some people will get some use from it, but it's hardly one of those things that turns people away from a device and instead to buy something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, people are pretending to believe that a Switch browser is irrelevant?

I would say that a browser on any gaming device is pretty much in the second tier of requirements of any console.
    I mean, it's a thing I guess, some people will get some use from it, but it's hardly one of those things that turns people away from a device and instead to buy something else.

Of course it's in the second tier of requirements.

Some posters are questioning why anyone would want a browser on their Switch, others are saying they would like to have one. Maybe people genuinely don't see any value to it at all in which case they are not pretending but I originally found that hard to believe.

It is not enlightening to explain the functionality of phones or point out that the gaming part of the Switch is more important than the browser. I know what a phone is, I know the Switch is a hand held gaming console - thanks for making sure I wasn't labouring under any severe misapprehensions. It would be useful to me if it also had a basic web browser despite these game-changing new pieces of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If anyone owned a Wii U, then they'd know the benefits of a browser. Not just for browsing in general, but the amount of times I've been stuck in a game, tapped the home button, into the browser, found the solution and then back into the game, all done really quickly. It's really handy and I use the Wii U browser every day. I prefer it in many ways to using my phone that I'm typing out this message on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭geotrig

sligeach wrote: »
    If anyone owned a Wii U, then they'd know the benefits of a browser. Not just for browsing in general, but the amount of times I've been stuck in a game, tapped the home button, into the browser, found the solution and then back into the game, all done really quickly. It's really handy and I use the Wii U browser every day. I prefer it in many ways to using my phone that I'm typing out this message on now.

I found it hindered gameplay more than helped on the wiiu ,many a time i was delayed going back to playing and sometimes just didnt ,where as if im stuck now i just pick the phone up thats beside me !!!quick browse and back at it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

geotrig wrote: »
    i just pick the phone up thats beside me !!!quick browse and back at it !

This is my process as well.
    It would be much quicker on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Anything that encourages the lazy way out of playing should be discouraged imho ��

geotrig wrote: »
    I found it hindered gameplay more than helped on the wiiu ,many a time i was delayed going back to playing and sometimes just didnt ,where as if im stuck now i just pick the phone up thats beside me !!!quick browse and back at it !

That's patently not true. It's really quick and you don't have to switch devices to find an answer.

That's patently not true. It's really quick and you don't have to switch devices to find an answer.

He said "he" found it hindered so it is true for him.

In all my years of owning a console I've never once used a console browser to search for anything. It's much more cumbersome to navigate and type than a PC/phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I have used my PlayStation 3/4 web browser a grand total of one time in the last 12 years to see if I could get All4. Otherwise I pause the game and use my phone.

I think that Nintendo will make incremental changes to the Switch that will improve the system but not in a material way. I think this will be a smaller type upgrade than a Switch 2.0 upgrade that some people are suggesting. It's not going to be a DS - > 3DS scale of change.

Nintendo probably wouldn't care but if they put out a materially improved second version console within two years of launch, it's going to pïss off a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Nintendo probably wouldn't care but if they put out a materially improved second version console within two years of launch, it's going to pïss off a lot of people.

I just can't believe the reports that a more powerful Switch will be released next year. It would be ludicrous this close to the initial release. I certainly wouldn't support it.

It would basically shine light on the fact that the Wii U was their Alpha, the Switch was the Beta and the "new" Switch is what it should have always been, comparatively powerful with current gen systems.

A refresh is expected but they can't afford to jettison the current install base by making certain future third party games exclusive to the new model.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He said "he" found it hindered so it is true for him.

In all my years of owning a console I've never once used a console browser to search for anything. It's much more cumbersome to navigate and type than a PC/phone.

It's a standard, what happens on his Wii U is no different than to mine. Granted, a couple of games(e.g. BOTW) take a few seconds to return back, but it would be the same if you paused the game and returned back.

It's a standard, what happens on his Wii U is no different than to mine. Granted, a couple of games(e.g. BOTW) take a few seconds to return back, but it would be the same if you paused the game and returned back.

Tell the truth... you only use the browser on your WiiU because it's the only one your parents/partner don't check the browser history.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Of course it's in the second tier of requirements.

Some posters are questioning why anyone would want a browser on their Switch, others are saying they would like to have one. Maybe people genuinely don't see any value to it at all in which case they are not pretending but I originally found that hard to believe.

It is not enlightening to explain the functionality of phones or point out that the gaming part of the Switch is more important than the browser. I know what a phone is, I know the Switch is a hand held gaming console - thanks for making sure I wasn't labouring under any severe misapprehensions. It would be useful to me if it also had a basic web browser despite these game-changing new pieces of information.

Hey, I wasn't trying to insult you, if I did it was a happy accident!
    Wakka, wakka, wakka!

No, but I can see why certain services are welcome on a device like the Switch.
    Despite having, frankly, loads of devices to use with Netflix and Plex I would still love to be able to use them on the Switch.
    Browser, not so much, as my phone is mostly used for it's browser function, and while I would never use this function on a gaming machine I am not so "Theory of Mind" that I can't imagine that others would.

At the same time, the frustration with the lack of AAA titles from 3rd parties is such that this is where my consternation is invested, rather than where the feck is Netflix/Plex.

I do think too that there are those who are recreationally insulted and offended, who find that their online persona is invested heavily in finding things to be p1ssed off about, and that can turn the heat up over issues like Netflix, browsers, cloud saves and so on, creating a hot spot of anger on a topic that possibly isn't as relevant or important as things like an underpowered and vulnerable hardware option or the propensity of ports on the Switch.

But no, it's really subjective, if the lack of a browser option is annoying you I completely understand.
    It's odd then that no one has released their own on the eShop, given how popular it might be.

I still own a WiiU, but the browser was never a thing I used on the system.
    At the same time, I recall you saying you used it a lot, as it was one of your main ways to access the internet.
    I recall too this appearing quite incredible but, on reflection, it's your experience and who am I to disagree or think it's odd.

I suppose Nintendo make a call of what their console represents, in terms of function and branding.
    They limit/hobble possibilities deliberately in order to funnel the user experience towards their own end user goals, and this can be frustrating for those of us that want something else.
    But we have to buy into this "vision" when we buy a console.
    It's not an open system, it's closed, and it's part of why it's Nintendo and not just another PC/Linux box.
    We buy into the end user experience Nintendo deliver because time has taught us it's value to us.
    And we have to accept then that some of their decisions aren't always the ones we like.
    Won't stop us wishing though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Damn, no switch tax reductions in #Budget2019

Grassey wrote: »
    Damn, no switch tax reductions in #Budget2019

If you buy an ebook on it you'll only pay 9% vat rather than the previous 23% !!

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I just can't believe the reports that a more powerful Switch will be released next year. It would be ludicrous this close to the initial release. I certainly wouldn't support it.

It would basically shine light on the fact that the Wii U was their Alpha, the Switch was the Beta and the "new" Switch is what it should have always been, comparatively powerful with current gen systems.

A refresh is expected but they can't afford to jettison the current install base by making certain future third party games exclusive to the new model.

I hope for several reasons the rumoured new Switch coming in 2019 is true and that it provides a significant boost in power. Maybe then some Switch owners will get a modicum sense of what it was like to be a Wii U owner. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening as it would fracture the user base.

I hope for several reasons the rumoured new Switch coming in 2019 is true and that it provides a significant boost in power. Maybe then some Switch owners will get a modicum sense of what it was like to be a Wii U owner. Unfortunately, I can't see it happening as it would fracture the user base.

You don't even sound a little bitter :pac:

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You don't even sound a little bitter :pac:

Really? I thought I made it plainly evident. ;)
    bJ9thnlEQ1IbwptWt8QidcwLg68=.gif

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Epic Games Partner to Distribute Fortnite: Deep Freeze Bundle
    The Worldwide Phenomenon Fortnite Will Be Available on Store Shelves Holiday 2018

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Epic Games today announced Fortnite: Deep Freeze Bundle, a special retail version for the wildly popular action building game, Fortnite Battle Royale. Through the worldwide retail distribution partnership, Fortnite: Deep Freeze Bundle will be available for Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro, and the Xbox One family of devices including the Xbox One X beginning Nov. 13, 2018 with a MSRP of $29.99. Players can also purchase and download the Fortnite: Deep Freeze Bundle digitally through the in-game store and first-party digital marketplaces.

The Fortnite: Deep Freeze Bundle will include the Fortnite Battle Royale game, and premium content, including the Frostbite Outfit, Cold Front Glider, Chill-Axe Pickaxe, Freezing Point Back Bling, and 1,000 V-Bucks, which can be used to purchase in-game items, such as outfits and the Premium Battle Pass. In Fortnite Battle Royale, players squad up and compete to be the last one standing in 100-player PvP, where they’ll build cover, battle opponents, and survive the longest to earn their victory.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181009005416/en/Warner-Bros.-Interactive-Entertainment-Epic-Games-Partner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Epic Games Partner to Distribute Fortnite: Deep Freeze Bundle
    The Worldwide Phenomenon Fortnite Will Be Available on Store Shelves Holiday 2018

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181009005416/en/Warner-Bros.-Interactive-Entertainment-Epic-Games-Partner

talk about milking naive parents for something that is free, 1000 V-bucks = €10, and other cosmetic items are hardly worth another €20.

STARLINK: BATTLE FOR ATLAS SWITCH ICON, FILE SIZE, AND DIGITAL DELUXE EDITION DETAILS

Starlink: Battle for Atlas takes up 12.7GB of space on Nintendo Switch. By comparison, the PS4 version requires 17.12GB, making the game about 25% smaller on Nintendo Switch.
    starlink-battle-for-atlas-switch-icon-1.jpg

Standard

4 starships – Zenith, Neptune, Pulse, Lance
    6 pilots – Mason, Judge, Chase, Hunter, Levi, Razor
    12 weapons – Flamethrower, Frost Barrage, Shredder, Levitator, Volcano, Imploder, Iron Fist, Alt. Freeze Ray, Crusher, Super Gatling, Shockwave, Alt. Gauss
    Plus 1 extra pilot if you preorder – Startail
    Digital Deluxe Edition

5 starships – Zenith, Neptune, Pulse, Lance, Nadir
    9 pilots – Mason, Judge, Chase, Hunter, Levi, Razor, Shaid, Razor, Eli, Kharl
    15 weapons – Flamethrower, Frost Barrage, Shredder, Levitator, Volcano, Imploder, Iron Fist, Alt. Freeze Ray, Crusher, Super Gatling, Shockwave, Alt. Gauss, Hailstorm, Alt. Meteor, Nullifier
    Plus 1 pilot if you preorder – Startail

Starlink’s modular toys are not required to play the game.

https://nintendosoup.com/starlink-battle-for-atlas-switch-icon-file-size-and-digital-deluxe-edition-details/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

talk about milking naive parents for something that is free, 1000 V-bucks = €10, and other cosmetic items are hardly worth another €20.

They're not worth 20 but that's was they charge in game.. Skin is normally 1200, gliders are normally 1200 and pick axes are about 800 and those are not the highest rarity. This pack is good value relatively speaking, but not actually good value. That said, it's a free game and they have to make money somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The new NES games are out now (Solomons Key, Super Dodge Ball, NES Open Tournament Golf), plus one extra game called "The Legend of Zelda – Living the life of luxury!" - it's the same as the original Zelda, but you start with everything and a ton of rupees.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/surprise_a_special_version_of_the_legend_of_zelda_has_appeared_in_the_switchs_nes_library

OSI wrote: »
    Why would I want to play NES games on my Switch. If I really wanted them I'd just pull out my actual NES, they play much better on there.

/s

Well...
    I have a NES as well, and it's a terribly designed console!
    I much prefer my Famicom!
    But, yes, original hardware is the way to go, as most of us on the Arcade and Retro forum would agree.

But....

Having NES/Famicom games on the Switch is better than not having NES/Famicom games on the Switch.
    And there's always the chance that the games available have something you wanted to play but didn't have the cart of.
    Also, the save state system makes short bursts of play on the likes of SMB3 worthwhile.
    And, lastly, the ongoing expansion of the games on offer can only be a good thing with, hopefully, more systems to be introduced over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Just had a quick check and they are not showing up for me yet....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

chrislad wrote: »
    They're not worth 20 but that's was they charge in game.. Skin is normally 1200, gliders are normally 1200 and pick axes are about 800 and those are not the highest rarity. This pack is good value relatively speaking, but not actually good value. That said, it's a free game and they have to make money somehow.

I have more the problem with the fact that the are not advising the game is free and are stating that there is a voucher included to download the game? I mean this is a cheap trick and its a way or luring people that have no clue into buying it as a gift.

Advertisement