Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Moonlighter | Nintendo Switch Release Date Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mW3PSp4IM
    5th November.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Stick of Truth is pushing it for €40. I’ll get it on sale eventually.

RIPSTONE GAMES TO BRING SNOOKER 19 TO PC, PLAYSTATION 4, XBOX ONE AND NINTENDO SWITCH

https://invisioncommunity.co.uk/ripstone-games-to-bring-snooker-19-to-pc-playstation-4-xbox-one-and-nintendo-switch/

Switch related, not directly news.

Huawei: Mate 20 X Smartphone Better Gaming Device Than Nintendo Switch

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/huawei-mate-20-x-nintendo-switch-1202982720/

I heard Newstalk briefly mention this yesterday before it was officially unveiled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

sligeach wrote: »

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/huawei-mate-20-x-nintendo-switch-1202982720/

I heard Newstalk briefly mention this yesterday before it was officially unveiled.

The president of a company says his thing is better than another thing. Thanks for the non-story.

By 'Switch-related' you meant 'tied by the thinnest possible thread but I hate the Switch so lol fuk it' yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Cannot wait to play BoTW and Mario Odessy on this......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,328 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ah here. A smartphone will never be a better gaming device than an actual gaming device.

Rhyme wrote: »
    The president of a company says his thing is better than another thing. Thanks for the non-story.

By 'Switch-related' you meant 'tied by the thinnest possible thread but I hate the Switch so lol fuk it' yes?

Go rant to all the gaming sites and specifically the Nintendo sites for reporting this "non-story".

https://www.google.ie/search?q=nintendo+switch+huawei&hl=en-IE&gbv=2&prmd=nisv&tbas=0&source=lnt&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL2Y_E2I3eAhWKW8AKHUxCC-IQpwUIHg&biw=360&bih=512#ip=1

And there's many more besides, GoNintendo, NintendoEverything, MyNintendoNews, etc that haven't shown up in the Google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Go rant to all the gaming sites and specifically the Nintendo sites for reporting this "non-story".

https://www.google.ie/search?q=nintendo+switch+huawei&hl=en-IE&gbv=2&prmd=nisv&tbas=0&source=lnt&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjL2Y_E2I3eAhWKW8AKHUxCC-IQpwUIHg&biw=360&bih=512#ip=1

And there's many more besides, GoNintendo, NintendoEverything, MyNintendoNews, etc that haven't shown up in the Google search.

It's more the tenuous link to Nintendo that I've a trouble with, if they'd made the comparison to the Vita, I'd expect the same response from the SONY forum; a hearty "who gives a crap".

For context, I'm actually quite fond of Huawei, my last two phones have been by them and my first recommendation would be for them over other brands. That they are challenging gaming consoles is a good thing as phone companies always seem to be a few steps ahead when it comes to miniaturisation of chipsets and hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

That yoke costs a grand too!

• Advertisement

Wasteland 2: Director’s Cut - Gameplay Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRpqs1n-od8

Pac1Man wrote: »
    That yoke costs a grand too!

That programme yesterday was comparing the top 5 phones on the market that you can buy in a shop, they ranged from €700 to €1,400 I think. It's bonkers how someone could spend so much on something that could break easily or be stolen. Every few months there's a more powerful phone. But then again, we spend thousands on gaming. And they were saying you can get the phones on plans.

Dropping the Switch name is them trying to get attention. I don't think that gamepad add-on looks great, it reminds me a little of the Circle Pad Pro for 3DS.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Wasteland 2 is an excellent game, at least on PC. Reviews for switch are good but not great, mostly down to the interface.

SNK 40th ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION - Free DLC Bundle 1 (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=z5ahPzjFwBg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rhyme wrote: »
    It's more the tenuous link to Nintendo that I've a trouble with, if they'd made the comparison to the Vita, I'd expect the same response from the SONY forum; a hearty "who gives a crap".

For context, I'm actually quite fond of Huawei, my last two phones have been by them and my first recommendation would be for them over other brands. That they are challenging gaming consoles is a good thing as phone companies always seem to be a few steps ahead when it comes to miniaturisation of chipsets and hardware.

It's really a headline grabber for the Huawei handset, rather than a Nintendo headline.
    I wonder if Apple forums were reporting the roasting by a competitor, maybe so.
    Either way, you pay for what you get.
    Maybe a fairer comparison would be a €320 handset and the Switch.
    A top line handset is probably pushing amazing performance but then you'll pay plenty for same.

Lastly, handheld gaming in the main will run happily on a 3DS, resolution aside, though I still prefer the 3DS over gaming on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Phones will probably be tailored to play more extensive games going forward when you see concepts like xCloud and where streaming might be headed going forward.
    Still they have twitch & can play Fortnite now right which is enough for some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That programme yesterday was comparing the top 5 phones on the market that you can buy in a shop, they ranged from €700 to €1,400 I think. It's bonkers how someone could spend so much on something that could break easily or be stolen. Every few months there's a more powerful phone. But then again, we spend thousands on gaming. And they were saying you can get the phones on plans.

Dropping the Switch name is them trying to get attention. I don't think that gamepad add-on looks great, it reminds me a little of the Circle Pad Pro for 3DS.

There was an awesome click-on Moto mod for the Moto Z (presumably z2 compatible) that gave it the same button layout as a switch, along with better battery life, comparable chipset, more memory, qhd screen with virtually no bezel. I just looked out my window, the world is dark so I don't think that set it alight and neither will this. The games weren't there, so it was really just for hardcore on the go emulation fanatics. Shame really, as I bought the Z and the switch around the same time, would have loved to do some side by sides.

Will get interesting when Google's game streaming gains traction but I'd say we're at least 2 phone cycles away from that, and another 3-5 before the architecture it drives pushes most of your phone's hardware grunt requirements to the cloud.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ERG89 wrote: »
    Phones will probably be tailored to play more extensive games going forward when you see concepts like xCloud and where streaming might be headed going forward.
    Still they have twitch & can play Fortnite now right which is enough for some.

Can't we all just.... Get along....

People will play games on their phones, but lots of people predicted the demise of handheld gaming with the arrival of the iPhone and the appstore... and the DS/3DS happened.
    Angry Birds anyone? No?
    New Super Mario Bros though, plenty of takers.

The Huawei is a nice unit but it's no N-Gage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The Huawei is a nice unit but it's no N-Gage.

I had the second version of the N-gage. It was beautiful ;_;

Let's take a moment to spare a thought for our fallen brother. :(

800px-Nokia-NGage-LL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Live with honor, die with glory, old friend.

Nokia-NGage-QD.jpg

Hmm, two different models. Kind of like that awkward moment when Tom Hanks broke the bad news to the wrong Private Ryan. :D

What a heap of sh1te.
    And I speak as an owner of one still.
    Also owned one their earlier smart phones that used the same OS, awful things.

The Room - Launch Trailer (Nintendo Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Oi2VObdq2w
    The Room is a physical puzzler wrapped inside a mystery game where you are transported into a unique space that blends stunning visuals with intriguing problems to solve. A mysterious invitation leads to the attic of an abandoned house. In the room is a cast-iron safe laced with strange carvings and on top, a note from your distant companion. It promises something ancient and astonishing concealed in the iron chamber - you need only find a way in.​

The Room has been rebuilt from the ground up specifically for Nintendo Switch to utilise both the touch screen and the Joy-Con controllers. Use the intuitive touch screen controls to solve puzzles in handheld mode or utilise the Joy-Con controllers in newly implemented motion control in TV mode.

First released in September 2012, The Room swiftly climbed the charts and reached #1 in over 60 countries. It has won multiple awards including ‘iPad Game of the Year 2012’ from Apple, the BAFTA for British Game and the GDC Award for Best Handheld/Mobile Game. Players can now experience The Room for the first time on console, exclusively on Nintendo Switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    What a heap of sh1te.

I couldn't agree more. I foolishly bought the original one :rolleyes:

I see Dark Souls Remastered on the Japanese eshop on my Switch.
    Question is, would I have network issues buying from a different location?
    I know that Assassins Creed Odyssey is downloadable here, from the Japanese eshop, but not accessible as I am outside the territory.
    Would DS be the same, seeing as how important the network is??

I'll just have to wait until tomorrow, buy the physical copy instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

BDJW wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. I foolishly bought the original one :rolleyes:
    It had this going for it, which was nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Haha.

Sure it's more powerful than Switch and has a better battery life but no games announced and a 900 euro price tag? You could have a PS4 and a Switch and still have money left over for games at that price!

It's kind of mind boggling that even after all this time, and the many many failed devices and consoles that have been tried, folks still focus on the "power" aspect of gaming at the expense of... actual good games.

Even the Nokia N-Gage could have been great if they had actually developed good games for the thing. Instead it was supposed to play games like Tomb Raider and Call of Duty when it wasn't up to the task.

The thing about these devices is that you need to have the games to carry it through. Angry Birds is good fun but it's not nearly enough to justify a 900 euro device.

Isn't that even one of the main things that people appreciate about the Switch? The quality of the software library?

At least it answers the question of how much the Switch would have cost if it was built to rival the power of the PS4 and XBOX.

I'd say Sligeach would have flipped out if the Switch was 900 euro at launch PLUS the cost of a 1TB SD card (cos no way these big AAA games will be less that 50GB each) PLUS extra for the other half of the controller :pac:

Advertisement