Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,019 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Playing devil's advocate, the Huawei: Mate 20 X Smartphone isn't a dedicated gaming system. It's a top of the range smartphone that performs a number of different functions, gaming is just one string to its bow. The Switch is a dedicated gaming system and doesn't let people use any of the features that the Huawei phone does. It could do some of them, but Nintendo won't allow it.

I'd also argue that the real cost of a Switch isn't €330, but closer to €500 before even buying a game. That's my opinion. I don't see that Huawei phone being successful in terms of gaming, it's a marketing means of trying to entice potential customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,328 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    I'd also argue that the real cost of a Switch isn't €330, but closer to €500 before even buying a game. .

How do you make that out? What costs €170 before even buying a game :confused:

Pro controller(€80), proper sized SD memory card(let's say €60, could be more) and tempered glass screen protector(€10), though that's by far the cheapest of the lot. Plus Nintendo Switch Online(€20).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,328 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pro controller(€80), proper sized SD memory card(let's say €60, could be more) and tempered glass screen protector(€10), though that's by far the cheapest of the lot. Plus Nintendo Switch Online(€20).

You don't need any of those to play the Switch.

If you're counting them in the cost of one though you might as well include the cost of credit/bill, cover and screen protector in the cost of the phone. Also if you need a pro controller for the switch you'll probably as well add one to the phone so you can play on that as well.

Yup to about €1500 for the phone then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd disagree on this. While I eventually got a Pro Controller, I managed the first year without needing one. The memory card again isn't that important if you're buying physical games, and they're not crazy expensive. I paid less than 60 for a 200gb one from Amazon, and I've seen 128gb as low as 25. Switch Online isn't exactly essential at the moment unless you play paid games online (so really Mario Kart, and Rocket League) - the likes of Paladins, Fortnite, Warframe etc are all free to play, both in cost of the game, and to play online.

I'll give you the screen protector though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

ssb has been low quality resolution before with n64 ssb and gamecube ssb and 3ds , but switch maybe low low quality resolution but its has twice ram of the wiiu, the switch has twice of gigahertz of wiiu and graphics card is more powerful then the wiiu one and the switch games cartridges are twice size of wiiu bluray discs and 3 time clock speed of bluray discs put it all together the switch is far more superior compare to the wiiu ssb with 80 characters ssb to choose from with 16 for starters and rest of 80 to unlock while playing the game. According to specs SSBU is most powerful and biggest ssb ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

SD cards seem to have dropped in price the last year. I would say that you need one and a screen protector long term.
    You don't need a pro if you play mainly handheld.
    I would say that regarding the phones price that the vast majority of people I know are on contract with a network so you don't have the pay the full price for phones now.
    I don't know why people are so bothered about a phone company saying their product is more powerful than a switch. It's not like the Switch is going to be abandoned. It's a sign of it's success when phone and VR manufacturers are looking at what the Switch is doing.
    Going forward I envisage a lot of console games are going to be playable from phones/mobile devices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Comes with controllers
    SD cards are not that expensive and no need for a screen protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Speaking of SD cards, the new Huawei Mate series recently announced use a new nano sd card. Those will be fairly expensive too I'd imagine seeing as how very few companies actually produce them, further adding to the cost. They do look like a seriously good range of phones though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

9LslHYh.jpg

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I have a combined total of 64GB of space on my Switch and have just been deleting titles as necessary. Believe in the digital age people!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/06/sakurai_is_well_aware_that_you_want_waluigi_in_smash_bros_ultimate_says_reggie

we could be getting waluigi as ssb newcomer instead of assist trophy for ssbu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In my fevered dreams, Solaire will be a playable character in SSBU....

i dought there will be dlc s for ssb u they have not announce any dlcs for it yet, you are saving 130 euro for ssbu its worth every penny, 80 for dlcs + 50 for 3ds version = 130 euro

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    In my fevered dreams, Solaire will be a playable character in SSBU....

:P

Apparently performs and looks great in hand held mode especially.
    I've a couple of work trips coming up early next year so saving it for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Be the jaysus 9.5 seems a little too high doesn't it? Don't think he mentioned the supposedly awful audio compression either. Probably giving it a high score just because "muh portability".

mario54324 wrote: »
    Be the jaysus 9.5 seems a little too high doesn't it? Don't think he mentioned the supposedly awful audio compression either. Probably giving it a high score just because "muh portability".

Apparently the audio compression was for the Network test only, though there are some reports saying the release code still has issues, hopefully it'll be patched out, Dark Souls is a regularly patched title on the other formats so the Switch will hopefully be no different.

OSI wrote: »
    Is it me or was there a good bit of frame drop in the game footage?

I'd wait for Digital Foundry to confirm performance / graphical fidelity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

OSI wrote: »
    Is it me or was there a good bit of frame drop in the game footage?

I noticed a lot of framerate issues with the network beta. Dont expect it to improve a huge amount with the final release.
    It's still a lot smoother than the PS3 version.

The review I watched felt the frame rate of the release code was pretty rock solid at 30fps.
    Not that much to wait for, you either want to play Dark Souls on the go or only play it at home in one of the other releases, the former has one option on the Switch, the other has plenty of choices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭mario54324

Picked up Dark Souls today (it's my first game in the series). Only played 10 mins but it's fun. Performance is decent so far, audio is a little wonky.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1053666894685880320

No surprise, was never given a release date.

Edit: Moved a piece of news to a more appropriate thread.

I'd wait for Digital Foundry to confirm performance / graphical fidelity.

On that note:

the latest update gives you voice chat on headphones with every game but Nintendo wanted keep this quite

the voice chat works everygame with headphones wireless and mircophone only usb only on the switch including splatoon 2 and mario kart according to nintendo life

wargroove maps are Identical to super mario bros 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Smertrius wrote: »
    the latest update gives you voice chat on headphones with every game but Nintendo wanted keep this quite

the voice chat works everygame with headphones wireless and mircophone only usb only on the switch including splatoon 2 and mario kart according to nintendo life

wargroove maps are Identical to super mario bros 3

The what now??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Rogue Legacy coming to Switch, out next month

https://nintendoeverything.com/rogue-legacy-coming-to-switch-out-next-month/

Out this day fortnight. :):)
    I put hours and hours and hours into this on the PC. Brilliant game.

(A few days after Diablo III and a few days before Moonlighter.... November is a good month)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »
    Rogue Legacy coming to Switch, out next month

https://nintendoeverything.com/rogue-legacy-coming-to-switch-out-next-month/

Out this day fortnight. :):)
    I put hours and hours and hours into this on the PC. Brilliant game.

(A few days after Diablo III and a few days before Moonlighter.... November is a good month)

Very good game, but depends on price for me. I had it on the Vita and played it a good bit, but I don't know if I'd play it again

Advertisement