Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What was with them wasting ammo instead of going for glory kills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Rhyme wrote: »
    Especially seeing as this game doesn't look all that great (from what I've seen so far). If previews and reviews change my mind, I'll be in there like swimwear as I loved the first game and liked the second a lot.

Thinking of 2019, all those Final Fantasy games should help buoy up the console as well. Yes they are re-releases but they are important ones. FF9 and FF12 will keep me busy for a good long time :) (the rest... who knows)

I can't wait for the FF games - FFIX, X, and XII for me. Probably go for XII first as I've never played it. Slightly disappointed that we don't have VIII, as it's one of my favourites, despite some of the quirks and the deux ex machina story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

chrislad wrote: »
    I can't wait for the FF games - FFIX, X, and XII for me. Probably go for XII first as I've never played it. Slightly disappointed that we don't have VIII, as it's one of my favourites, despite some of the quirks and the deux ex machina story.

Me too. I loved FF VIII when it came out first, got it for Christmas and I remember playing it with wonder and amazement. Did I read something about them losing the source code for it and that this is why it isn’t getting a re-release? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,018 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I watched the Digital Foundry revisit of Doom earlier. If there's one word to sum it up, it's "marginal". Version 1.1 seemed to make the biggest improvements. They're full of praise for Panic Button and say they almost see it as a challenge to see what else they can eke out of the limited hardware and that there'll probably be future updates yet. I'm wondering if there is a new Switch next year, will Panic Button and other developers work on upgrade patches for older games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    Did you actually read the articles linked?
    They are a statement on selling on crowded digital stores in general. That a dev can't bank on selling on one such store and have success.
    It's certainly not specifically aimed at the Nintendo Switch and the bold type is pure clickbait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Any potential revision to the switch next year will likely be HDD space, battery, WiFi , block known pirating issues and stuff like that. I don't expect any improvement to the chipset this early in its life.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did you actually read the articles linked?
    They are a statement on selling on crowded digital stores in general. That a dev can't bank on selling on one such store and have success.
    It's certainly not specifically aimed at the Nintendo Switch and the bold type is pure clickbait.

Of course I read it. They specifically mention the Nintendo eShop. And the bold type is the headline, the same as I do for every article I link to.
    The conversation then shifted to the Nintendo Switch eShop, which many are hailing as a haven, albeit a crowded one, for indie developers. DualShockers asked Thunder Lotus if they believed this to be true and while they did compliment the storefront, they pointed out how important visibility and marketing is, especially now that the eShop has gotten so crowded:

“It certainly has been in our experience, but the market is evolving rapidly. We don’t believe any system or eShop can be taken for granted anymore, as far as release profitability is concerned. There’s no shortage of great games in general – and great indie games in particular – on any storefront at this point. So if a dev or publisher’s marketing plan is one point: “Release on Nintendo eShop, stat.”, that’s risky, to say the least.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Ohhh. I might have to get those controllers.

Mad Age & This Guy for Nintendo Switch - Offcial Trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4zP1iQP9w
    This is the age of steam. This is the time of unprecedented technology development never seen before. This is the era of science, research, and inventions. However, this world has also another side, the side not everyone is aware of. This world is full of mad scientists who plan to use modern technology for the evil purpose – they want to take over the world. But when evil and deception grow in strength, he will appear. He is the secret agent of an elite unit which has to make sure that the newest science inventions do not fall into the wrong hands.

Mad Age & This Guy is a dynamic arcade game that combines many elements from the best classic games you remember and love.

You will meet a lot of enemies on your way through the world of caves, ice and villains’ fortresses. Be aware of robots driven by most advanced steam technology and dozens of various traps! Get back the stolen plans and make evil lose again!

Main features:
    • 54 challenging levels
    • 3 Worlds to explore
    • Thrilling story with this Guy, Mad Scientist, Angry robots and the Duck
    • Fire and Explosions and more explosions and bombs
    • Steampunk setting
    • 10 hours of gameplay
    • Steampunk piano crazy music
    • Pixel-art graphics
    • Very addictive – what! it’s 3am!

It launches here in Europe on Christmas Eve, 24th December. The Americans have to wait a nearly further 2 weeks, 4th January 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Anyone else strangely interested in Fitness Boxing? Wish it wasn't €50 though (€39 in South Africa)
    Must try the demo. :)

SQUARE ENIX PRESENTS Jump Fiesta 2019 Stage 【12/22 (Saturday)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCGTNPAx2MU&feature=youtu.be

Jump Fiesta is on at the minute in Japan. Square Enix are supposed to give an update on Dragon Quest XI S for Switch. You never know, they might actually show it at long last. That particular segment starts in about a couple of hours. It may be something to keep an eye on. I'll be out for the count.

Translated notes from their Youtube page.
    14: 00 ~ 14: 50
    "Dragon Quest XI Passing Through the Time S" Special Stage S!
    Okamoto Hokuto (producer)
    Takeshi Uchikawa (Director)
    Yuji Horii (Game Design & Scenario)
    special guest
    MC: JOY (Talent)
    "Delivered with the series-born parents, Yuji Horii, Okamoto producer, Uchikawa Director, a follow-up report of Nintendo Switch ™ software" Dragon Quest XI Passing through Time S "officially decided to be released!
    pecial guests may also appear! What? "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

Mr E wrote: »
    Anyone else strangely interested in Fitness Boxing? Wish it wasn't €50 though (€39 in South Africa)
    Must try the demo. :)

I played the demo.
    It is a not as much fun version of Wii Fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sligeach wrote: »

Would love this. Massive Tekken fan. Maybe we'll get a tekken character on Smash. That would be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Personally, I think they can shove their 'fan demand' up their hole. This isn't a Wii u situation anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Personally, I think they can shove their 'fan demand' up their hole. This isn't a Wii u situation anymore.

Agree. There's enough of an install base to just release it.

With Street Fighter, Smash, Dragon Ball and Mortal Kombat on the way, the lack of a Tekken shouldn't cause any sleepless nights.

Have time to respond to this now. Chances are they've already made up their mind. I've said it elsewhere, not sure if I've said it here, but look at the stories and press releases about Nintendo's success, breaking records, million games sellers, fastest selling Nintendo game, 3 Switch games over 10 million. The thing is, it's Nintendo's success, not 3rd parties.

Ya, we hear from Indie developer saying their game sold well or best on Switch. There's reasons for that like it's less crowded, less major 3rd party competition, goodwill towards Indies, etc. Indie games cost less to make, sell for less and don't need gigantic sales to turn a profit. Look at the million sellers list on Switch:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Nintendo_Switch_video_games

We don't hear about 3rd parties selling millions. The 2 3rd party games on that list have input from Nintendo. I would have thought Minecraft has sold over a million, but that sells regardless of what platform it's on. It sold over a million on Wii U and got a DLC pack only last week. FIFA 18 has sold over a million, but a lot of the sales came after it was heavily discounted.

FIFA 19 tanked on Switch, it accounted for 1% of all platform sales during launch. EA have committed no other games, no rumours, nothing. I'm not sure FIFA 20 will get a Switch release even though the engine is there and it doesn't take much effort.

Companies have committed very little in terms of new games. It's mostly cash grab ports. Bethesda are trying somewhat, and they may have to win over some Nintendo fans, as they did practically nothing before. Panic Button are to be commended on their ports, they try and get the most out of the hardware.

Nintendo games sell because they're quality, they're exclusive and they've a loyal fanbase. 3rd parties are hampered, the game's aren't exclusive, cost more to port, don't have a diehard following, run and look worse, some have issues fitting on a cartridge, arrive later.

Anyway, Nintendo have a good relationship with Bandai Namco. Nintendo gave them a tonne of business over the years, I complained that we got very little in return, but it's finally paying off. If Tekken 7 is relatively easy to port, I'm sure we may see a future release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Pinch of salt time, but the Persona 5 R domain was updated today. Some people think it points to a Switch release on the way...

https://personacentral.com/persona-5-r-announcement-imminent-official-domain-updated/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

Noobish question here folks but where does one buy Eshop credit for the South Africa store. Would have thought it could be bought from Eshop but can't find an option.

Edit: oops just noticed I posted this in the wrong thread altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Mr E wrote: »
    Pinch of salt time, but the Persona 5 R domain was updated today. Some people think it points to a Switch release on the way...

https://personacentral.com/persona-5-r-announcement-imminent-official-domain-updated/

Great potential news for anybody who hasnt played it, dont think i could go through it again though, its sooooo long :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

skerry wrote: »
    Noobish question here folks but where does one buy Eshop credit for the South Africa store. Would have thought it could be bought from Eshop but can't find an option.

Edit: oops just noticed I posted this in the wrong thread altogether
    You can just set up an account and use an Irish Card - I use my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card and it works fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,326 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

deadl0ck wrote: »
    You can just set up an account and use an Irish Card - I use my Ulster Bank Visa Debit card and it works fine

Use Revolut for a better exchange rate and no FX transaction fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

nix wrote: »
    Great potential news for anybody who hasnt played it, dont think i could go through it again though, its sooooo long :D

I'd only play it again on the Switch. Loved it first time round but couldn't justify that kind of TV time again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭skerry

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Use Revolut for a better exchange rate and no FX transaction fees.

Cheers. I have account set up and use my Revolut card but the missus wanted to pick me up a gift card as a pressie. Probably be handier to just get her to top up my Revolut card and buy that way altogether.

• Advertisement

More Persona 5 Related Domains Registered, ‘Persona 5 S’, ‘Persona 5 M’, ‘Persona 5 B’

https://personacentral.com/more-persona-5-related-domains-registered-persona-5-s-persona-5-m-persona-5-b/

Maybe the Switch will get a port of Persona 5, I'll believe it when I see it.

Advertisement