Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Don't hold back Banjo, tell us what you really think!

Sorry I'm just sick of that article getting recycled into my chrome feeding tray! (No offense intended to the poster on here) It was the same with two years of "the WiiU is dead... The WiiU is dead.... The WiiU is.....etc etc" until eventually it was "see? I told you it was dead!"

(This bit contains mild GoT spoiler!)
    Admittedly I did the same thing with my constant "they're showing
    Maisie's boobs
    this week!" threads for the last 7 years in the Game of Thrones forum. But I was right! Eventually!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Starlink update will land on April 30th, apparently, and consist of 2 parts:
    A) a Crimson Moon update for all platforms which is free and adds racing missions, challenges and new faction missions, and
    B) a paid DLC which will bring three additional Star Fox pilots and related missions/content. No UK/euro pricing that I've seen so far but $12 seems to be the US price so knowing the usual videogame exchange rates it'll be about the same in Euro or sterling...

Notably Ubisoft are also releasing a PC version on the same day along with additional pilots and presumably ships & weapons. Hopefully this means that there might be further free additional content updates in future. It'd be nice given that the game's design specifically precludes earning new weapons or ships by grinding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Super Mario Maker 2 releases on 28 June.

Been an interesting month or so from Nintendo. Loads of announcements and dates (1st and 3rd party) that would usually have been in a Direct.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1121171963001606145?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Gonna trade in my switch tomorrow. Just not giving it the love it deserves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Virtua Racing is finally out on the Japanese eShop!
    Downloading as we speak!
    Woohoo!
    Only a tenner as well!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Quick game there, very nice indeed.
    Obviously a port of the arcade game, so none of the extra stuff present in the Saturn and 32x ports, which is a slight disappointment.
    Otherwise it's as smooth as you like and controls very well.
    The offline multi-player looks interesting, seems it can cater for up to eight players on one Switch, which would be amazing!
    Don't know how the draw distance or frame rate would react, however.
    Also slightly jarring is just how far things have come since 92, especially in the rendering, or lack thereof, of both human figures and course backgrounds.
    But, otherwise, it's seems pretty great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

fixxxer wrote: »
    If the price was right, a Switch lite would be a good addition to the market. I don't think that Nintendo will do the price right though.

Price will be the exact same as the current version.

The new version is just a hardware update to combat piracy. Thats it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo Switch New Models Won’t Be Announced At E3, CEO Confirms

https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-models-announced-e3/

That doesn't mean a new Switch model isn't coming before the end of the year. If I remember correctly, the DS Lite went from its announcement to its release in literally 5 weeks in Japan. Though it was about 4 to 5 months for the rest of the world, depending on the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd put money on the cheaper, kid-friendly model being released to coincide with Pokémon Sword and Shield. It'll be a tougher, more robust model in line with the 2DS and will sell millions to kids and their parents.

And there's nothing to say they couldn't announce a new Switch model BEFORE E3. Pokemon isn't just Nintendo's property, I'd say Game Freak and Creatures would like Sword and Shield to have as big a reach as possible. The Switch is at the very least €100 more expensive than previous handhelds were when Pokemon games released. The cheaper hardware was what in part allowed the series to have monstrous sales.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Super Mario Maker 2 releases on 28 June.

Been an interesting month or so from Nintendo. Loads of announcements and dates (1st and 3rd party) that would usually have been in a Direct.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1121171963001606145?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E3

Pre-order to get this stylus:

H2x1_SuperMarioMaker2_Stylus_image950w.jpg

sligeach wrote: »
    And there's nothing to say they couldn't announce a new Switch model BEFORE E3. Pokemon isn't just Nintendo's property, I'd say Game Freak and Creatures would like Sword and Shield to have as big a reach as possible. The Switch is at the very least €100 more expensive than previous handhelds were when Pokemon games released. The cheaper hardware was what in part allowed the series to have monstrous sales.

Well, that would play straight into a possible plan for a Pokemon release, making the host hardware a more kid pocket money/Santy Claus friendly price.

While you are correct to say that Pokemon is GameFreak not Nintendo, they are inextricably linked, and some sort of co-ordinated plan wouldn't be unsurprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers announced for Switch

A spin-off from the main game, apparently.
    Looks like a Musou game, which doesn't appeal to me at all. :(

https://nintendoeverything.com/persona-5-scramble-the-phantom-strikers-announced-for-switch/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mr E wrote: »
    Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers announced for Switch

A spin-off from the main game, apparently.
    Looks like a Musou game, which doesn't appeal to me at all. :(

https://nintendoeverything.com/persona-5-scramble-the-phantom-strikers-announced-for-switch/

Koei Tecmo are behind it, definitely a Musou game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Faacccccck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

This is not the Persona 5 game I was hoping for! Come on Atlus, don't do it like this (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Ugh, even with the Zelda link, I struggled to get through this type of game. Ah well.

Analysts say the 16.95 million figure, showing the number of units that arrived at retailers, looks small when compared with the number of units bought by consumers—a figure that is estimated by outside research firms such as Japan’s Gzbrain Inc. The difference hints Nintendo is getting ready to introduce new models, analysts said.

“The Switch’s sales were probably larger at retail stores than Nintendo’s shipment from its factories, and this suggests Nintendo is encouraging retail to reduce inventory ahead of new models,” said David Gibson, chief investment adviser at Japan-based equity research provider Astris Advisory.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendos-switch-sales-miss-analysts-expectations-11556188080
    Nintendo today said there are no plans to unveil new hardware at E3 in June.

What's interesting is that the Nikkei published a new article several hours after that statement was made public, repeating a "smaller Switch" is coming this summer:https://r.nikkei.com/article/DGXMZO44204990V20C19A4DTC000

Plenty of people convinced a new Switch model is launching soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

In fairness it is not in Nintendo’s interest to announce a ‘new’ Switch at this time, otherwise it will hit sales as people may wait for a new version. Better to just drop it when ready. It was the same for Sony with the slim version of the PS4, they adamantly denied its existence for months and then launched it!

There's been loads of leaks recently about Nintendo that turned out to be true, so it wouldn't surprise me if this is another one. It's something a lot of us predicted and Nintendo have form in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭breakfast roll

I'm looking at getting the switch. Should I wait for the rumoured new switch versions to come out later in the year, or just go ahead n purchase now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I'm looking at getting the switch. Should I wait for the rumoured new switch versions to come out later in the year, or just go ahead n purchase now?

Buy now regret later.

Or buy now, no regrets later.

The only commonality there is BUY NOW!

Buy now, trade in when the new one is announced?

It's all rumours. They may not release another SKU this year at all. No point in waiting.

They may be rumours at the point in time but it's definitely happening. 100%.

Yep, no argument here. The "when" is the main question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think it's fair to say that the only thing holding up the release of the new Switch is Breakfast Roll. If they continue to dither it will never get released. If they buy a Switch right now the new Switch will be announced in (entitlement to return for cosmetic reason +1) days.

Schrodinger's Breakfast Switch?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

If you're happy with the price and game catalogue available now (or for imminent release), buy it. Nobody here knows more than what's being peddled by rumourmongers (many of whom use said rumours to drive traffic to their sites, making them fairly biased in selling the rumour regardless of veracity).

• Advertisement

I think it will obviously be cheaper, it'll remove features like probably detachable Joy-Cons, remove the dock, possibly even the AC plug(wouldn't be the first time), remove HD Rumble, etc. But I also think it might improve some features, like a better kickstand, better control sticks and buttons, add a D pad, longer battery life, maybe access to the battery, move some of the ports, like the charging port up on top so it can charge and work in tabletop mode. You know what, they might even add a cheap camera. It could be smaller to reduce costs and improve portability.

Advertisement