Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Feckin Argos it was €48.99 last night switch tax to the max

I know I'm going to be roasted for this but ...

I don't get the appeal of turn based RPGs. Feels like you've spent all your money on a console/computer that's just not good enough to play real time games! Also, you need to dedicate so much time to them.

And JRPGs are just wwwaaayyyyy out there.

Can anyone recommend a good starting point? And not Pokémon or Mario and Luigi ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

nintendoo wrote: »

I don't get the appeal of turn based RPGs. Feels like you've spent all your money on a console/computer that's just not good enough to play real time games! Also, you need to dedicate so much time to them.

Can anyone recommend a good starting point? And not Pokémon or Mario and Luigi ...

I enjoyed Octopath Traveller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

To be honest if you don't like them then you aren't going to like even the best of them.

Maybe an action rpg would be a better starting point. Theres a few out there that let you pick between turn based and real time. Cant think of any off the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Im the same as you but I enjoyed both South Park games. Mostly cos the humour carries you through. Fun games.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I just saw the "upcoming in 2020" list - I'm in for No More Heroes 3 (haven't bothered with TSA as it sounded a bit disappointing) and Panzer Dragoon.

I'm also kind of curious about Speedrunners as I have it on Steam and reckon it could be a pretty good party game. (See also: Castle Crashers Remastered).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Played Speed Runners on Xbox as a party game with 3 mates a few times. It is class. Would highly recommend. Ive already pre purchased it on Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Outer Worlds is a day 1 purchase. Closest we'll get to Fallout on the Switch for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

If they do a good port of outer worlds its totally worth buying. Played through it on ps4. Great game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Any idea on release date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Any idea on release date?
    The Nintendo newsletter said Early 2020. Before March 31st according to Polygon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hopefully it's a halfway decent port, and not too much is lost in adaptation (it doesn't look the most technically demanding game out there - and if The Witcher can make it, there truly are no excuses anymore). I won't be touching it until there's at least some confirmation it's not a hack job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

I have Outer Worlds on the PC and I do enjoy it, it’s just hard to invest time into all these RPG games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Switch is giving me back my gaming time. Stealing 10 - 20 mins here and there adds up. I won't get the time to go to the office, boot up the Ps4 or PC and sit down without the kids kicking off. But i can grab 20 mins while peppa is on, 10 mins on the jacks, 20 mins before bed. Before long I've stacked hours in the Witcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Switch is helping me utilize my crippling insomnia 3am Fire Emblem here we gooooooo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Are rumours of a switch pro likely do you guys think

Been rumours about that since Day 1. So far, it's been nothing but clickbait based on Chinese whispers.

Having said that, I think it's likely (even inevitable) eventually.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

it will probably happen over the next year. I can't imagine Nintendo still trying to get decent 3rd party ports in two years time on the current version of switch when PS5 and Xbox Series X are heading comfortably into their first year. The Switch Pro probably won't be a huge leap in power but if it was a par with a standard ps4 or xbox one, then ports of third party games from current gen and next gen may be more possible.

At the same time I don't see Nintendo going back to seperate home console and mobile consoles, I think keeping the Switch formula and improving on power and performance is the way to go, especially with mobile/laptop chipsets catching up very quickly on desktop parts in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I really can't see a Switch Pro model arriving if it's going to cut off any existing owners from playing games that are not yet released. This March, the Switch will be 3 years old, that's too quick a turnover.

I could see a Switch Pro operating in the same way that the PS4 Pro did, with improved visuals and rendering over the standard PS4 but even new games still running on the older console.

A Switch Pro operating as a successor of the Switch and having games that won't run on the older model... not for a few more years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

Rhyme wrote: »
    I really can't see a Switch Pro model arriving if it's going to cut off any existing owners from playing games that are not yet released. This March, the Switch will be 3 years old, that's too quick a turnover.

I could see a Switch Pro operating in the same way that the PS4 Pro did, with improved visuals and rendering over the standard PS4 but even new games still running on the older console.

A Switch Pro operating as a successor of the Switch and having games that won't run on the older model... not for a few more years.

BOTW 1 and 2 at 60FPS would be nice.
    How much extra would that cost hardware wise ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

Bit of a pain that a switch pro might be out this year and I just bought one at Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

brevity wrote: »
    Bit of a pain that a switch pro might be out this year and I just bought one at Christmas

Gamestop might do another upgrade deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Yes. Probably to coincide with new Sony and Microsoft offerings. I don’t think it will be 4K though. Just a slightly bigger - Full HD - screen that plays at the same resolution as docked, and with bigger internal storage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't see it being more than a hardware refresh including a better battery, consistent frame rate and a higher undocked resolution, to match the docked.
    Anything more significant, upscaling aside, would be unwise prior to the Switch being replaced wholesale with a follow-up machine, but I imagine that will be a couple of years away yet, maybe by 2023.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So thinking a New 3DS situation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,626 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So thinking a New 3DS situation?

Yes, and keep in mind that while.some games saw a bump in performance, there was only a couple of N3DS specific titles, which excluded the majority of 3DS owners.
    I'd save the format divergence for the genuinely next Switch, rather than an updated one.
    Bigger screen, higher undocked resolution, better battery, more storage as standard, that's how I would guess a device released this year could look like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

[PEGI] The Turing Test | Nintendo Switch |

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IPbZtfh9mng
    The Turing Test is a challenging first-person puzzle game set on Jupiter’s moon, Europa. You are Ava Turing, an engineer for the International Space Agency (ISA) sent to discover the cause behind the disappearance of the ground crew stationed there.

Upon arrival a series of puzzles awaits you – tests which, according to the station’s AI, Tom, can only be solved by a human. These puzzles have apparently been set by the missing ground crew – but why have they created them and what are they hiding from?

In an evolving story based on mankind’s instinctual need to explore, protect and survive, you’ll delve deeper into Europa’s ice crusted-core and discover that the lines between man and machine begin to blur. Armed with the Energy Manipulation Tool (EMT), solve puzzles to open the way forward as you learn the true cost of human morality.

Coming to Nintendo Switch on Feb 7.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think 4k support would be definitely off the table with any possible switch pro release. A move to 4k would require an upgrade that is more powerful than a standard PS4 and that is not going to happen. A switch Pro may get us closer to standard xbox one or ps4 performance with more solid 30fps 1080p games.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone played Oddworld Strangers Wrath? Popped up on the Switch yesterday, and while am aware of it as a bit of a cult classic from the Oddworld franchise, I know nobody who has ever played it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm guessing a new switch would be a more powerful processor for games like The Witcher 3 and maybe Red Dead or GTA can't imagine 4k being an essential part but perhaps 4k output for optimal upscaling.

The faster processor would be badly needed could help with the crippling of the system for certain games

Advertisement