Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mario 64 got a partial update on DS, right? I wonder if this version will build upon that or be a full remaster from the ground up. Ditto Sunshine. Never could play, or even watch, N64 games due to the awful frame-rate. Early 3D era was an eyeball tester :D

I don't really want a remastered Mario 64, as in full of new textures and the like.
    As much as it was welcome to have Mario 64 on the DS, there were so many changes that weren't always that welcome.
    Perhaps, as long as they give the option to just play the original with slightly sharper visuals, then I'd be happy.
    As for the rest, the Galaxy twins and Sunshine would be fantastic to see, not to mention Super Mario 3D World.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I already own Sunshine and Galaxy, and got my playthrough of Mario 64 done on the Wii via the Store version. So this collection doesn't really appeal to me. But I appreciate I'm a minority, and it's a good idea to make them available to a wider audience.

If nothing else, at least this reminds me that for whatever reason I never did finish Galaxy, and it's probably a good choice to fill the void left by having finished all the stuff I'm going to finish in Odyssey...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't really want a remastered Mario 64, as in full of new textures and the like.
    As much as it was welcome to have Mario 64 on the DS, there were so many changes that weren't always that welcome.
    Perhaps, as long as they give the option to just play the original with slightly sharper visuals, then I'd be happy.
    As for the rest, the Galaxy twins and Sunshine would be fantastic to see, not to mention Super Mario 3D World.

Oh? What changes were made that you felt lessened the experience? I had read the original camera wasn't always the best. Can't imagine though they'd release without some kind of graphical refinement and upgrade; no more than the original Mario All-Stars did the same IIRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't think I replayed Mario 64 since I first finished it on the N64, but it was pretty much the template for so many games that came after. They may have improved on the implementation but Mario was the game that pretty much taught people how to use the camera in a 3D world and how to move. This was at a time when 3D games and controls were like Tomb Raider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The Outer Worlds releases for Switch on June 5th, physically and digitally. There will be a 6gb Day 1 patch.

https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/status/1244972974840528896?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Whether it gets a proper physical Switch release is another matter. That will require a 32GB cartridge and would likely need Nintendo to subsidise some of that cost.

It was 38.5GB on other platforms. With a day one patch of 6GB, it doesn't sound like they've done any compression and despite seemingly using a 32GB cartridge(they got a massive backlash for the previously planned code in a box), it's still a borked release.

Edit: Unless they compressed it to fit on a 16GB cartridge plus another 6GB download patch on day 1. Either way, it's still another botched physical release. And with that much compression there may be very noticeable differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Be interesting to see how it runs and what the performance is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pixelburp wrote: »
    According to EuroGamer, the titles will be Galaxy, Mario 64 & Sunshine as the 3 remasters for an "All Stars 2" collection.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-31-more-details-emerge-on-nintendos-mario-remasters

I've never played any of those so it's great news for me.

insert fry **shut up and take my money gif**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,323 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    It was 38.5GB on other platforms. With a day one patch of 6GB, it doesn't sound like they've done any compression and despite seemingly using a 32GB cartridge(they got a massive backlash for the previously planned code in a box), it's still a borked release.

Edit: Unless they compressed it to fit on a 16GB cartridge plus another 6GB download patch on day 1. Either way, it's still another botched physical release. And with that much compression there may be very noticeable differences.

It was only 21/22GB preload or something like that on PS4 because I remember seeing it on my brothers PS4 when it was 40+ on my PC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

On that Mario news my guess would be

THEY FOOLED YOU GOOD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Corholio wrote: »
    The Outer Worlds releases for Switch on June 5th, physically and digitally. There will be a 6gb Day 1 patch.

https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/status/1244972974840528896?s=19

Nice, I started it on Xbox and really liked it. But wanted to hold off for the switch version so I have a better chance of finishing it.

On that Mario news my guess would be

THEY FOOLED YOU GOOD

That's what some people are saying now. That it's an early April Fool's prank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A joke like that would raise some bad consumer sentiment against Nintendo.
    It's not a "Haha, you fooled us" joke. It's a "Ah you're a shower of **** *** **** **** **** ***********, Nintendo. I hate you" joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »
    A joke like that would raise some bad consumer sentiment against Nintendo.
    It's not a "Haha, you fooled us" joke. It's a "Ah you're a shower of **** *** **** **** **** ***********, Nintendo. I hate you" joke.

A now Sligeach... wait, you're not him! The Nintendo hate! I'm all confused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I've been debating whether I should post that since I seen it last night I remember the gamesmaster one of sonic vs mario in a beat em up back in the 90s

Games and April Fools are a time honoured tradition. Ripe for catching people off guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I really hope it's not an April Fools thing. I don't think it's the time for that kind of joke, I know it's very small in the grand scale of things, but Mario is very joyful and something to look forward to in a tough time. Using it as a joke seems in bad taste this year.

I remember when I was a lot younger and less cynical, some magazine published a cheat about how to get blood in MK on SNES (the mega drive had blood, it was a big deal).

The cheat involved a long process of winning a flawless round, losing one, doing a series of button presses as the third round started and then winning that. What should have raised my suspicion, you had to put a penny on the corner of the cartridge. So it would trick the console into thinking it was the earlier build on a heavier cartridge.

They didn't reveal it was an April Fools until the next issue a month later!!!!

Edit: I found a scan of it https://images.app.goo.gl/1XNqGX24QXtNAWyc8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

April Fools jokes, especially those by companies, should be funny. Saying you're going to do something that EVERYBODY wants you to do, then going "April Fools" would be an awful kick in the face, especially given the current climate of sh!t.

Saying that those Mario games are just a rumour. And then later tomorrow say April Fools they are real and in the store right now, is the kind of April Fools I could get behind.

• Advertisement

Could be real, could be bull****.
    We shall just have to wait, but it is a ridiculously good idea to see them out, although they would be better to have released them over the consoles lifetime, instead of seeing them compete against each other in the marketplace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

p75nbpw3g0iy.png

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Could be real, could be bull****.
    We shall just have to wait, but it is a ridiculously good idea to see them out, although they would be better to have released them over the consoles lifetime, instead of seeing them compete against each other in the marketplace.

From the rumours going around, it'll be a Super Mario All-Stars 2 type things, with three games on one cartridge/download, so they won't really be competing against each other.

CatInABox wrote: »
    From the rumours going around, it'll be a Super Mario All-Stars 2 type things, with three games on one cartridge/download, so they won't really be competing against each other.

They'll be competing for my heart!

Here I am. :) The rumours all sounds rather fanciful, don't they? Super Mario 3D World with new levels, a new Paper Mario where they've listened to fans and 4 remasters of old Mario games. Nintendo are not a generous company, quite the opposite in fact. They're the stingiest company around. I could never see them putting Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 in the one collection for €60. Maybe they'd put Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 in one collection, but all 4? Nah, Nintendo don't turn down money. It could depend also on how much work they're doing on them as well.

The only reason I give it any credence is that it would be likely to release around the holiday season and Nintendo need a real humdinger of a title to compete against the launch of PS5 and Nextbox. They may be old games but nostalgia and the Mario name would sell it big-time. What else have Nintendo got? Sure we don't know, we can speculate though, what do people think is a title Nintendo could release around then that would sell gangbusters and maybe distract from the competition? They don't have anything that I can think of. They've played all their big cards. BOTW 2 won't be ready for another year at least, in my opinion. I doubt they'll release a new Mario Kart. Super Mario Odyssey 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

BOTW 2 will be muck. Just give us oracle's of ages and seasons in the new links awakening engine. And metroid prime collection, and metroid prime 4, and F zero and....

Then we'd be happy right...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,980 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Grassey wrote: »
    BOTW 2 will be muck.

I thought the same abut Majoras Mask. Played it when it came out for a day and never got back to it. Finally did a couple of years ago and loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Ah sure, if they fling out Pikmin 4 and that ninja game that looks like Splatoon with melee weapons, they'll be grand.

April Fool’s! Nah, just kidding! Cat Girl Without Salad: Amuse-Bouche is totally real and available now on Nintendo Switch! Take control of Kebako, a cat-eared intergalactic bounty hunter, and blast everything that moves in this genre-defying action extravaganza that combines classic 2D shoot-'em-up gameplay with a hilarious story and weapons inspired by game genres such as puzzle, sports, platformer, rhythm, and RPG! This funktasmical title is rated E10+!

Cat Girl Without Salad: Amuse-Bouche - Launch Trailer

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QLSm2PqsiOU

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    Here I am. :) The rumours all sounds rather fanciful, don't they? Super Mario 3D World with new levels, a new Paper Mario where they've listened to fans and 4 remasters of old Mario games. Nintendo are not a generous company, quite the opposite in fact. They're the stingiest company around. I could never see them putting Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 in the one collection for €60. Maybe they'd put Super Mario Galaxy 1&2 in one collection, but all 4? Nah, Nintendo don't turn down money. It could depend also on how much work they're doing on them as well.

The only reason I give it any credence is that it would be likely to release around the holiday season and Nintendo need a real humdinger of a title to compete against the launch of PS5 and Nextbox. They may be old games but nostalgia and the Mario name would sell it big-time. What else have Nintendo got? Sure we don't know, we can speculate though, what do people think is a title Nintendo could release around then that would sell gangbusters and maybe distract from the competition? They don't have anything that I can think of. They've played all their big cards. BOTW 2 won't be ready for another year at least, in my opinion. I doubt they'll release a new Mario Kart. Super Mario Odyssey 2?

The PS5/XB thingy will be all singing and dancing, but it will be year before they have much in the way of essential content, just as all console launches have been, aside from a handful of notable exceptions.
    I would even say, the only thing the Switch needs to compete is a price-cut, no one will want to imagine spending a large proportion of the price of one of these new consoles on a Switch

Advertisement