Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

A really good game ... just got better ... at least now it looks like mere mortals can complete the main game.
    This is really a good fix. Gives me closure and an exit point on this game :)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/04/yooka-laylee_and_the_impossible_lair_update_makes_the_final_stage_easier_to_beat

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair.

Not So Impossible Lair
    Each section now ends with a Checkpoint (Checkmates, technically). Checkpoints save your best “Bee Shield score”, meaning you can choose which sections to start from, practice and improve on! Using these checkpoints is entirely optional.

(Also - this game is on sale at 50% off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

A Fold Apart Launch Trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QON2szVp9sg

Learn some more about it below:

‘A Fold Apart’ Comes to Apple Arcade, Steam, Nintendo Switch April 17th
    A Fold Apart features over fifty handcrafted paper-folding puzzles — in fact, the very first versions of these puzzles were made with simple grid paper and stored in a binder — in a colorful, tactile paper aesthetic. Choose which couple to play as, and unfold both sides of their story as they navigate the complexities of (mis)communication and the emotional rollercoaster that separation brings.

https://butwhythopodcast.com/2020/04/09/a-fold-apart-comes-to-apple-arcade-steam-nintendo-switch-april-17th/

It looks nice.

Edit: I asked the developer about price, and I was told it will be $19.99, so I'm guessing it will be a straight currency swap to €.

Lysium: Stardiver | Overhaul Teaser

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5eQHkuMFUwU
    We've updated Stardiver's art to 3x the original resolution and completely rewrote the engine to support it alongside many other new features. Here's a quick look at the Asteroid Farm to get the ball rolling!

Anything that reminds me of Super Metroid gets my vote.

Happy Style - Trailer RevoPlay

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IwSmen7eSGM
    Announcement of Happy Style: a game in a new genre called "Werewolf". Happy Style will improve mood, relieve stress and… it needs to be hacked
    Happy Style is an everyday mood-enhancing application, a relaxing and energetic game, as well as something special related to hacking a program. These three elements are closely connected and all together form a completely new genre called "Werewolf" (more about it below).

This project is the first piece in the universe World of Unique Views. I worked hard on this game for about 4 years, trying to create a unique and useful program, immersing myself in Development Hell.

I hope you will like it! Enjoy reading and playing! :)

★ On the one hand, Happy Style is a daily app, ready to please with a warm word, inspire with a wise quote and remind the user of his dreams and achievements.

★ But Happy Style is also a relaxing and energetic game that uses the player’s warm words, his dreams, achievements, wisdoms and even… complete nonsense. This part includes a story campaign, an arcade mode with great replayability and additional Challenge Levels.

★ Another layer is no less important, perhaps it is the most interesting… the path to it is through _HACKING_ Happy Style in search of the Eternity Administrator’s Room lost in time.

The essence of the new genre "Werewolf" is the total transformation of a seemingly ordinary game into something completely unexpected with a different meaning and gameplay relative to the original concept.

It's not about a simple unexpected plot twist at the end or the appearance of unpredictable mechanics (like RTS in the Brutal Legend or two different types of Sonic Unleashed gameplay), but about a large-scale transformation, both in terms of story and gameplay.

The game and the program remain complete without the “Werewolf”, you can easily skip it and enjoy what is initially seen, but still it is even more interesting to discover something new and surprising.

However, “Werewolf” is just as important part of the game as the base visible in front of it. It combines with other layers and at the same time seems completely alien.

In Happy Style, the secret part goes side by side with hacking and sheds light on the… further details will certainly become a very healthy spoiler, as, incidentally, even the description of the genre has already become.

Without the “Werewolf”, Happy Style still remains a full-fledged cheerful game, as well as a daily app to improve your mood!

This is a multi-layer program, where you can always, hopefully, find something of your own, close to your heart!

The gameplay (its part that is not related to hacking) is based on relaxing finger movements on the touch screen.

One half of the levels is designed to relieve stress and improve mood. Just move your finger across the screen and get warm words, inspirational quotes and reminders of your dreams and achievements! The goal is to relax and enjoy the process.

The action is full of visual effects, the finger pointer takes the form of one of the many available types of fruits and everything is accompanied by beautiful music. Several messages, slightly transparent, appear on the screen in its entirety, and the main message, located at the top, is filled letter by letter in time with the user's movements. Each word seems to be spoken by one of the characters of Happy Style - cute animals that defend the Yummy Federation.

The idea of such levels came from a small observation: in nervous moments, people often try to get distracted by something, to find aimless work for their hands. For example, simply turn over the pages on the phone screen. I thought it would be interesting to do something with this, to add a bit of joy to the process.

Other levels - Severe Arcade Challenges. The path to victory in them is through dexterity and ingenuity in the fight against the mysterious FoodMemes who decided to seize the Yummy Federation.

Here, an important place is given to the correct use of the combo system and abilities, as well as the reaction rate.

Making your way through the campaign, you will discover an amazing story - completely alien and at the same time Your Story.

The gameplay and Happy Style atmosphere are inspired by Geometry Wars, 3D Ninja Gaiden games, Forza Horizon, The Stanley Parable and Fruit Ninja. Authors such as Isaac Asimov and Greg Egan influenced the story.

Happy Style is the first piece of the new universe, World of Unique Views, which over time will include many games, books and projects in other formats. I plan to expand this universe for decades.

A key feature of World of Unique Views is the originality of its pieces: each project should bring something fresh to its genre or even create new ones. No direct sequels.

Weird is not the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Cotts72

sligeach wrote: »
    Happy Style - Trailer RevoPlay

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IwSmen7eSGM

Weird is not the word.

What have I just watched.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

tenor.gif?itemid=15624885

Cotts72 wrote: »
    What have I just watched.....

What have I just read? Gobbledygook.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

sligeach wrote: »
    What have I just read? Gobbledygook.

It looks (and reads) like a minimum-effort mashup of Else Heart.Break() and A Normal Lost Phone, although I suppose there might be some sort of Pony Island-esque brilliance waiting to be discovered in there. I'll be leaving that to someone else to find out, though.

CRYSIS REMASTERED SEEMS SET FOR SWITCH, REVEALED BY CRYSIS WEBSITE SOURCE CODE
    EVt-j6zWAAALups.jpg

https://gonintendo.com/stories/359301-crysis-remastered-seems-set-for-switch-revealed-by-crysis-websit

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played through Crysis for the first time last year and had a blast, I preferred the first sequel though.
    The second sequel was not so hot, at least on console, with a terrible framerate making it very much the PCs poor cousin

• Advertisement

AUSTIN, Texas, April 16, 2020 – Get ready to shout - “Now, this is podracing!”

Aspyr announced today that the classic Nintendo 64 racing game, Star Wars™ Episode l: Racer, will arrive for Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 on May 12 for $14.99. Fans can take control of a podracer speeding through flaming methane lakes, Tusken Raider assaults, anti-gravity tunnels, and much more in a pulse-pounding, do-or-die fight to the finish line.

Star Wars Episode l: Racer, the classic sci-fi racing game based on the podracing sequence in the film Star Wars™: The Phantom Menace™, is back with modernized controls.
    Twenty-five (25) playable racers including Anakin Skywalker, Sebulba, and Ratts Tyerell
    Race tracks spanning eight unique worlds including Tatooine, Baroonda, and Malastare
    Players can work with pit droids to upgrade podracers for higher top speeds and acceleration
    Discover short-cuts and secrets to master lap times
    Play single player campaigns or multiplayer via split-screen

“Star Wars fans can soon go full throttle with Aspyr’s update to the classic, fan-favorite, Star Wars Episode l: Racer,” said Elizabeth Howard, vice president of publishing at Aspyr. “The beloved game has been modernized for the most optimal gaming experience on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4. Star Wars fans should get ready to steer their racer to victory and leave their opponents in the dust.”

Star Wars Episode l: Racer will be available for purchase on Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 on May 12 for $14.99 USD. Sign up for the latest news via aspyr.com/StarWars.

STAR WARS and related properties are trademarks and/or copyrights, in the United States and other countries, of Lucasfilm Ltd. and/or its affiliates. © & TM Lucasfilm Ltd.

About Aspyr
    Aspyr is a leading video game publishing and development partner focused on maximizing the potential of games across all platforms and for all players. Today, the company supports a growing network of partners that includes many of the industry’s leading entertainment IP holders, publishers, developers, and technology providers. Aspyr is based in Austin, TX. For more information, visit www.aspyr.com.

PR e-mail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So we'll get the answer to the question "Can it run Crysis?"

Crysis Remastered is coming soon!

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GcPxtbiyKOQ
    Crytek has announced a remaster of the classic first-person shooter Crysis will be available this summer for PC, Xbox One, PlayStation®4, and Nintendo Switch. Co-developed on CRYENGINE with Saber Interactive, Crysis Remastered features the action-packed gameplay, sandbox world and epic battles of the original blockbuster title, with remastered graphics and optimizations for the latest modern hardware.
    “We are excited to be working on the Crysis franchise again, and to bring all the Crysis fans a remaster worthy of their passion for the game,” said Crytek CEO Avni Yerli. “It’s an exciting opportunity to be able to bring Crysis back to PCs and current consoles – even Nintendo Switch – so that a whole new generation of players can experience the thrill of a battle in the Nanosuit!”

Crysis Remastered will feature the original game’s single-player campaign alongside high-quality textures, an HD texture pack, improved art assets, temporal anti-aliasing, SSDO, SVOGI, state-of-the-art depth fields, new light settings, motion blur, parallax occlusion mapping, and particle effects (where applicable). Further additions like volumetric fog and shafts of light, software-based ray tracing, and screen space reflections deliver a major visual upgrade to this classic FPS experience.

The original Crysis arms players with the powerful Nanosuit on the battleground of a new war against alien invaders. The Nanosuit’s speed, strength, armor and cloaking allow creative solutions for every fight, with a huge arsenal of modular weaponry to give you incredible control over your play style. Become invisible to stalk enemy patrols, boost your strength to lay waste to vehicles, and deflect damage to dominate your enemies in this enormous sandbox world.

https://press.crytek.com/crytek-announces-crysis-remastered

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The "cryengine" logo reminds of those days when the middleware was almost as famous as the developers.
    Renderware is another one, right before it was nobbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Is crysis anygood? Anybody play the OG.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It was all right, nothing special. Not a bad game, but not a particularly memorable one either. The engine's prowess was 99% of the chatter, and even to this day remains technically impressive; though I believe has terrible performance issues even to this day, as it's not optimised for modern hardware (so one presumes the Switch port will address this)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's grand. The two sequels are much more interesting games now and hold up far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Crysis and Crysis Warhead are both excellent. The sequels are ok at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I recall playing it a few years ago, and it was fine. It looked great, and if they can maintain that with a decent FPS, I may double dip, but I'll wait for Digital Foundry first.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

More good news for shmup fans - M2 are porting Toaplan games to the Switch.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/04/m2_is_making_a_stupidly_expensive_shooter_more_affordable_on_home_consoles

Andrew76 wrote: »

Great news, but need Psikyo/Eighting/Raizing to make the journey to the Switch!

Must break out the Switch arcade stick, in preparation!

Psikyo already have a load of games on the Switch. :)

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Psikyo already have a load of games on the Switch. :)

Yes,
    Absolutely true!
    I should have said Cave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Ninjala open Beta on April 28/29

Irish times:

-28/04 - 20:00 to 20:59pm
    -29/04 - 04:00 to 04:59am
    -29/04 - 12:00 to 12:59pm

https://twitter.com/playninjala/status/1252310071922606089?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yes,
    Absolutely true!
    I should have said Cave!

ESPrade is out but only in Japan its region free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Corholio wrote: »
    Ninjala open Beta on April 28/29

Irish times:

-28/04 - 20:00 to 20:59pm
    -29/04 - 04:00 to 04:59am
    -29/04 - 12:00 to 12:59pm

https://twitter.com/playninjala/status/1252310071922606089?s=19

This looks fun. Will give it a go.

safetyboy wrote: »
    ESPrade is out but only in Japan its region free too.

It's pretty expensive, certainly compared to the Psikyo stuff.

That said, Cave games, in physical forms, are pretty expensive on all formats they've appeared on.
    I used to own Ibara on the PS2, before selling it, and I have always regretted the sale.
    I think I got it for 70 euro before selling it for around 100 a couple of years later, now it is selling for 250!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

I sold my Ibara PCB for 300 :(

• Advertisement

safetyboy wrote: »
    I sold my Ibara PCB for 300 :(

I was shocked at how small the PCB was when I first saw that one in the flesh. Some game though. :cool:

Advertisement