Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm like most of you, I've a console collection other than the Switch that has me covered for most games, including the likes of The Outer Wilds.
    The Switch it's for exclusives, indie and those multiplatform games that are simply extraordinary to play on Switch, such as Skyrim and Doom.
    It's probably been my most commonly used console of my collection, my XboxOne and PS4 have gotten very little play since last year.

as I said before with the new consoles taking over later this year the days of new game AAA ports to the switch are definitely over

ps5 and xbox series x will be 10 times the power of a switch and that's a docked switch.

the switch can handle xbox 360 and ps3 era ports ok but aside from a few cases where a lot of effort was put in on soon-to-be last gen games like wolfenstein new colossus and doom 2016 (doom 2016 is not actually that demanding really - a last gen mobile ryzen cpu can run it on integrated graphics) it just doesn't have the capability to deal with recent triple A console or pc ports

as most people have said here in any case the switch is most successful with 1st party or less demanding indie games and of course the portability / not tied to monitor/tv factor is huge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

"Cross Code" Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One announcement trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=3IkHJsJYC2w

Google Translate:
    "Cross Code" Nintendo Switch, PS4, Xbox One will be released on July 9, 2020!

A cross-world of the distant future... a world where revolutionary MMO games exist in the real world...
    Players participate in the game through avatars, real world manifestations of their masters. You play as a "rare", an avatar with no memory. Join the crew of M.S.Solar and challenge the Cross World to explore your memory and mysterious past...

CrossCode is a combination of action and RPG features, with a variety of puzzles, exciting, fast-paced battle systems, and many options to grow your character. There are many short-range, long-range attacks and defenses, and special attacks in dash in the battle.The long-range attack has a unique ball-throwing function that can be used to charge and fly, which can be used for both battle and puzzle solving. use. For operation, it is equipped with a system that controls fine movements such as automatic jump and accurate hit detection. The setting is in the world of MMO games, but CrossCode is a place where you can enjoy single player experience and RPG level up system, equipment, purchaseable items, skill tree, side quests and a vast world to explore with various characters. Prepared without. Many NPCs (computer-controlled characters) also appear in rare adventure journeys and battles. The soundtrack is influenced by Super Nintendo and RPG in the PlayStation era. If you're a fan of 16-bit action RPGs, this home console version of CrossCode will definitely be a game to miss.

・Enjoy the retro feeling! CrossCode is a 16-bit oriented action specification with the latest physics engine installed in a home video game console! Let's dive into a world of magnificent adventure that you can play in about 30 to 80 hours!
    ・Learn about Cross World! Join the rare (hero) journey in the rich and colorful world of MMO games as a single-player RPG! Fight over 120 different enemies, including over 30 bosses! Master over 90 combat skills and more passive skills!
    ・Various modes! There are lots of fun elements besides the story! You can discover the Cross Code world to your heart's content in the exploration mode, or enter the ring and try the combat mode. Complete over 100 quests with various tasks and unique challenges!

This looks nice. It reminds me of Secret of Mana... if it was on some sort of hyper drugs.

Here's another trailer I came across on their website, it's from August 2016 and is in English. This game has been in the oven a good while.

CrossCode Gamescom Trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6CuG6jId3MI

http://dangenentertainment.co.jp/games/crosscode

I like it. It's definitely one to watch.

CrossCode has been in development since like forever. Look what I came across. Deliberately snapped the shot with the line on screen. ;)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gSI0Ssbub1E

It's been 8 years in the making, well for it to finally arrive on a Nintendo platform at least. It released a couple of years ago on PC. It looks fantastic compared to the early footage.

• Advertisement

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/crosscode/critic-reviews 86%

9/10 on Steam

I seen a price tag of £14.99 in one of the reviews, though I see €20 on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/368340/CrossCode/

https://www.play-asia.com/blog/2020/06/04/crosscode-physical-release-for-ps4-and-switch-coming-pre-order-now/

There were several stories about it getting a Switch physical release, then retracted, possibly because it was posted too early.
    crossocdephysical.jpg?w=1038&ssl=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Fysh wrote: »
    I do wonder about the demographic of Switch ownership in terms of "what % of Switch owners also have one or more other current games systems?" Because, having a reasonably decent PC that can play Steam games and a PS3, I find that a lot of the AAA ports to Switch are, for me, just a chance to pay more to play a possibly-inferior version of the same game I could play elsewhere. But it's different for folk who don't already have other systems for playing games, and for folk who specifically want portability as an option.

In saying that...while I'm very glad that the Switch is continuing Nintendo's Wii-era change towards having better 3rd party support, 1st party titles have always been the core draw for me on Nintendo systems. Third party titles get more of a hairy eyeball from me in terms of the cost:value proposition I'll get, which means that I won't be pre-ordering or day-1-buying anything. To each their own, though.

Ive a PC that can run at 4k, I've a PS4, PS4 Pro, XBOX ONE, XBOX ONE X, a Switch and a Switch lite in the house.

The OG Switch is my favourite. I get to actually play it. Two kids under 4 plus a full time job sitting at a PC means I don't have time or a want to spend my free time sitting at a desk looking at a screen.

I'll grab a few mins on the couch, few mins in bed, few mins as the kids sleep. It all adds up to getting to finish games.

So I'll buy a third party game on Switch over PC every day of the week. Occasionally I'll buy something that needs the power like Doom Eternal on the PS4.

But getting to play the games trumps performance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Lordy. I have a Switch and a bockety laptop, cos that's all I can afford, or have space for in our house :) First world problems eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

glasso wrote: »
    as I said before with the new consoles taking over later this year the days of new game AAA ports to the switch are definitely over

ps5 and xbox series x will be 10 times the power of a switch and that's a docked switch.

the switch can handle xbox 360 and ps3 era ports ok but aside from a few cases where a lot of effort was put in on soon-to-be last gen games like wolfenstein new colossus and doom 2016 (doom 2016 is not actually that demanding really - a last gen mobile ryzen cpu can run it on integrated graphics) it just doesn't have the capability to deal with recent triple A console or pc ports

as most people have said here in any case the switch is most successful with 1st party or less demanding indie games and of course the portability / not tied to monitor/tv factor is huge

I think the amount of people that care that much about graphics is overstated though. Most people are just happy to hav fun gameplay experiences with a certain basic standard for graphics. I also think many Switch owners have another gaming system, whether Xbox/PS4 or PC/VR. I personally have an Xbox One with Game Pass so between that and Switch I have a tonne of stuff to choose from.

manual_man wrote: »
    I think the amount of people that care that much about graphics is overstated though. Most people are just happy to hav fun gameplay experiences with a certain basic standard for graphics. I also think many Switch owners have another gaming system, whether Xbox/PS4 or PC/VR. I personally have an Xbox One with Game Pass so between that and Switch I have a tonne of stuff to choose from.

yes I was talking about triple A ports of recent games specifically tho.

take the outer worlds - it's just too much of a mess in terms of blurriness and sub 30 fps framerate compared to even the base consoles that are about to be replaced.

the switch is great where graphics power is not really an issue

• Advertisement

yes I was talking about triple A ports of recent games specifically tho.

take the outer worlds - it's just too much of a mess in terms of blurriness and sub 30 fps framerate compared to even the base consoles that are about to be replaced.

the switch is great where graphics power is not really an issue
    True but in fairness this example seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. Most Switch ports have exceeded expectations.

manual_man wrote: »
    True but in fairness this example seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. Most Switch ports have exceeded expectations.

my point is that there won't be any more of the big new games ported going forward (and there weren't all that many to start with really and even if they were ok there were still limitations - the witcher 3 is probably the most impressive one but even that is a 2015 game)

so if you want to play those games you will need a console and/or gaming pc as the switch option won't be there.

my point is that there won't be any more of the big new games ported going forward (and there weren't all that many to start with really and even if they were ok there were still limitations - the witcher 3 is probably the most impressive one but even that is a 2015 game)

so if you want to play those games you will need a console and/or gaming pc as the switch option won't be there.
    It's just a given nowadays that each console will have their fair share of exclusives - BOTW, Odyssey, MK8, Splatoon, Smash, Metroid etc. etc. for Switch. Like I said many will own more than one console, but if I had to choose one I'd probably choose Switch. Comprehensive games library, some really good exclusives, and then the portability factor obviously. Anyway, I digress, we've gone way off topic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

pixelburp wrote: »
    Lordy. I have a Switch and a bockety laptop, cos that's all I can afford, or have space for in our house :) First world problems eh? :D

It is all for "work" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭eggy81

I reckon Nintendo will have a bumper year of quality first party stuff to cover next year and as the ports dry up the murmurings of new hardware will start again. The next hardware will need to be better than current xbox and ps offerings IMHO.

eggy81 wrote: »
    I reckon Nintendo will have a bumper year of quality first party stuff to cover next year and as the ports dry up the murmurings of new hardware will start again. The next hardware will need to be better than current xbox and ps offerings IMHO.

could be a blessing in disguise to put them under pressure to come up with the goods alright in terms of first party releases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hyper Sports R officially cancelled by Konami.

Hasn't been seen since 2018. Sad to see Konami in state they are in game wise these days. It didn't look anything special but their output anyway has been so bare.

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1270686448472281090?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Anyone tried / played Void Bastards on Switch? Looks like it might be a good one for 30 minute pop ins & out; like the art style & humour but after the whole Outer Worlds kerfuffle am sudenly cautious on Switch ports :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yep I'm about 5 hours into it. Too many good games out at the moment, must get back to it.

It's a great game because upgrades are permanent so you are always making progress and getting more perks and upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Out next week, new trailer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Burnout P is new game prices though, crazy money even for a remaster that is getting on in years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I reinstalled it a couple of weeks ago and haven't touched it since. For me it hasn't aged well but a Switch version might be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

EA are getting ripped for Burnout Paradise at €60 and rightly so. But I find it a bit hypocritical. People are like, "EA the big bad wolf, get 'em!" They're no different than nearly every other publisher though, putting out old games at top dollar. They're all @r$€;h01€$ in my view. If anything, you could say, EA are better than some of the others because the game is complete on cartridge and doesn't have the obligatory "Internet download required" slapped on the box. I'm playing devil's advocate, EA are no great friend to Nintendo fans and if they curled up and died I wouldn't care less.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX - Official Reveal Trailer | Summer of Gaming 2020

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QdFLB2cZ92Q
    The legendary Alex Kidd returns with Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX!
    Since his first appearance in 1986 with Alex Kidd in Miracle World. The iconic Alex Kidd makes his return to smash rocks, collect coins and tackle bosses once again in Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX!

Return The Kingdom of Radaxian to its former glory and destroy the evil Janken the Great!

Comprising of all levels from the original title as well as brand new levels which expand the lore of Alex Kidd, experience Miracle World like you’ve never seen it before with new animations, graphical detail and gameplay improvements.

Relive legendary rock, paper scissors battles with Boss Rush Mode!

As well as including all of the original classic boss fights, Boss Rush Mode will give you the chance to experience none-stop boss action!

Transport straight into the classic with Retro Mode!

Jump straight into the original classic with the press of a button with Retro Mode! At any point during gameplay, switch between the enhanced graphics and a recreation of the original art style!

Feature Overview

A Legend Reborn – Dive into a stunning recreation of Alex Kidd in Miracle World with striking new art and tighter, more fluid controls.

New Modes – New modes such including ‘Classic Mode’ and ‘Boss Rush Mode’ will be available for players alongside the standard game.

New Levels – Experience new levels which expand the lore of the original and feature new enemy types and vehicles

Alternative Boss Fights – New and improved boss fight mechanics with more intuitive combat.

Classic Mode – Experience the original game with boss fights, dialogue, levels and functions the same as the original Master System version.

New and remastered music - A wide array of reimagined music tracks as well as remastered tracks from the original classic game!

It will release in the first quarter of next year.

Across the Grooves — Trailer Nintendo Switch™ (America)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZbEkPHh1f4s
    Across the Grooves will launch June, 17th on the Nintendo Switch™!

Across the Grooves is an interactive graphic novel for PC/Mac/Linux, set in a magical-realism universe, where your decisions affect the destiny of Alice, the main character, drastically changing her reality and allowing her to explore alternative destinies by modifying her past.

— Story:
    Alice lives an uneventful life. She’s in a long term relationship, has a stable office job and a nice apartment in the center of Bordeaux. One day, Ulysse, her ex-lover, comes back into her life through an old vinyl record she receives in the mail. When she puts it for a spin on turntable, she is thrown back into her own past, forced to relive old events. When she comes back to the present, her reality has changed.

Determined to bring her life back on track, Alice packs up and embarks on a hunt across Europe, following the tracks of Ulysse while trying to uncover the origins of the record. However, her journey gradually turns into a quest of self-discovery as she explores new parallel realities each time she puts the needle in the groove.

Summer in Mara - Story Trailer - Nintendo Switch, Steam, PS4, Xbox One

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aYeuJ_jacFQ
    Release on June 16th - Nintendo Switch

‘Summer in Mara’ is a summer adventure with farming, crafting, and exploring mechanics set in a tropical archipelago.

‘Summer in Mara’ is a single-player experience in a calm, relaxing environment, with a handmade look and an exciting narrative. You will be Koa, a little adventurer girl who wants to explore the world that surrounds her.

In ‘Summer in Mara’ you’ll have to take care of your own island, harvest your crops, create new tools and buildings, and sail with your boat to discover new islands and secrets.

KEY FEATURES

- ‘Summer in Mara’ is a farming adventure, with an archipelago full of islands to explore.

- Day and night cycle with climate events.

- More than 100 quests to make the world a better place.

- Over 20 characters to meet and trade with. Befriend them!

- Improve your boat, make it bigger, better, and faster.

- More than 150 inventory items to make, use, and trade.

- Unlock new abilities, discover treasures, and meet all kind of people to help you trade, explore, and find new secrets in Mara.

Koa will need your help. With a basic set of skills, she can acquire new abilities and learn from the world that surrounds her. We want you to feel like you’re growing up with Koa, bonding with her and with all the other people in the archipelago.

With new islands comes new people. You’ll talk and trade with over twenty characters, each one with their own story and lives. They’ll give you quests, hints about the world, or just anecdotes about their experiences and travels. Getting to know them is a significant part of the game, so we put much effort into making them unique and exciting.

But not everyone will be friendly. An evil corporation called Elit wants to conquer Mara and exploit the ocean. Napopo is one of their first victims, a strange creature that will seek Koa for help.

You’ll be able to sail to new islands and find treasures and other secrets in the middle of the sea with your trusty boat, which you can upgrade with a little effort and time.

Google Translate:

"Nintendo Switch Arcade Archives has reached 100 titles! We would like to thank all the users who have supported us so far, the game makers who have participated, and everyone at Nintendo!"

• Advertisement

Him & Her | Nintendo Switch

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1RLEf3TihH4
    Him & Her is a challenging Puzzle-Platformer in which the player must find a path to their significant other by defying gravity.

Can you find love amidst darkness?

Main features;

- 68 Challenges across all Difficulty Levels
    - Normal and Hard Difficulty Settings
    - Moody Artistic Graphics
    - Thought-provoking Experience

Advertisement