Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Smyths for 59.99 so will go with that. Think Parcel Motel cancels out any savings with amazon. Plus amazon has become really unreliable for me lately.

just under €51 delivered from Simply Games

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

The profit margin on these ports for Nintendo must be astronomical. You wonder if they priced them more reasonably would people actually be disappointed, like they've devalued them. €60 for 3d World is breathtaking imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Thats insane. Think Ill stick with the emulator for retro gaming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is an appetite for it. A tiny fraction of Switch owners owned a Wii U (or GameCube/N64).
    Remember these ports have had developers on them to enhance them.
    They aren't a staight copy/paste of code and resources.

Don't want it? Don't buy it (or wait for a sale).

Me? I'm looking forward to playing through all 3 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered from Amazon but, if Smyth's have a better deal I'll cancel and buy from them instead.

I jumped on the Amazon link when I saw it, set up Parcel Motel and everything, and then scrolled down to see the Smyths link....

Now, with the masochism deeply embedded in long-term Nintendo fans, I think I'll stick with the Parcel Motel experience just to see what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Wow, I still have my original Super Mario Bros game & watch from '90 up in the attic somewhere :D

8505.jpg

Definitely jumping on that new one like an Italian plumber, wonder what the battery life is like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Mr E wrote: »
    There is an appetite for it. A tiny fraction of Switch owners owned a Wii U (or GameCube/N64).
    Remember these ports have had developers on them to enhance them.
    They aren't a staight copy/paste of code and resources.

Don't want it? Don't buy it (or wait for a sale).

Me? I'm looking forward to playing through all 3 again.
    Ya I don't get this mentality. There's another site I go to that's full of people moaning about the fact that these are re-releases and not a new game. Just don't buy the thing if you don't want it. I don't buy things every day :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would imagine that, of the games in the AllStars pack, Sunshine is the one the least number of Switch owners have played, boy are they in for a treat.
    And, as far as value is concerned, this is a quantum leap ahead of the likes of the Crash and Spyro trilogies which people seemed to be beside themselves with delight to run out and buy at €40. At €60 it is a great deal.
    I seem to remember spending similar money on Super Mario Allstars for my SNES back in the day, another great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I cough up 60 quid for Sunshine on it's own. No question.

Worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭itsa_me_mario

I just hope the controls map to Switch seamlessly.

Motion and pointer control is seriously good on Galaxy. Kicking/flicking Browser around those planetoids, jumping, dodging, collecting star bits ... at the same time ! Miamoto got this game nailed on the Wii/Wii U.

I'm still thinking this will be the definite way to play. Unless Wiimote etc works with Dolphin ... But hoping motion control is good enough on Switch.

Looking forward to Sunshine ...never played it ... Assuming Switch can easily map GameCube controls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

I got it on shopto.net for about 48 delivered.

Wonder will they fix all the rushed bits in Sunshine.

Also, i imagine Galaxy 2 will be released as DLC?

That's actually the only one I haven't played.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I tried to order with shopto last night and their system is a shambles - they managed to authorise payment on my card twice, but not record the actual order. Not promising as a first time buying experience.

I've preordered direct from Nintendo now. Looking forward to revisiting Isle Delfino and finishing off Galaxy. Not as pushed about Mario 64, but maybe the updates will tempt me back...

As someone who has only played SM3DW on emulator, I'm glad to see it's being ported to Switch but not sure I'd pay full price for it - it struck me as being similar to the NSMB line where it's just more fun to play with a group, and Mario games have always been a single-player thing for me. Still, at least now folk have a chance to play it legitimately. And the added content will be interesting to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fysh wrote: »
    As someone who has only played SM3DW on emulator, I'm glad to see it's being ported to Switch but not sure I'd pay full price for it - it struck me as being similar to the NSMB line where it's just more fun to play with a group, and Mario games have always been a single-player thing for me. Still, at least now folk have a chance to play it legitimately. And the added content will be interesting to see.

SM3DW is a bit like SM3DL. The main campaign is very easy and really just a warm up for the post game content which is bigger than the main campaign with better, tougher and more interesting areas. SM3DW really shines after you've beaten the main campaign.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SM3DW is a bit like SM3DL. The main campaign is very easy and really just a warm up for the post game content which is bigger than the main campaign with better, tougher and more interesting areas. SM3DW really shines after you've beaten the main campaign.

I didn't realise there was that much in the post-game, I got a bit annoyed at one of the levels and put it down assuming it was just a small handful. (Mind you, if they are like the Darker Side of the Moon levels in Odyssey, it could also be that I'm just not up to them...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Final, final, final level of 3D World is just the most frustrating thing for me. It's not that I'm dying or anything (though there's plenty of that), but I get to that Piranha plant stair-jump section and I just can't nail the timing. ****ing Rosalina/Peach just breeze back down the bottom of the jump.

Darker Side is a stone-cold heartbreaker, though. Feel it's right there with 'The Perfect Run' in terms of 3D Mario-based torture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I can't wait to get the Galaxy pack. Never played Sunshine before so that will be a treat. Galaxy 1 & 2 were my favourite games on the Wii by miles, except for the damn Spring Mario. Couldn't control that fecker at all. Hopefully with the switch controls it'll be easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

V4oSkZz.jpg

Perhaps I'm reading into it too much, but the empty space on the right of this promo pic is interesting.

Hopefully my suspicions are correct and Galaxy 2 ends up being announced as free DLC to boost sales later on :pac:

Maybe in the run up to xmas or to empty the last few pockets closer its removal in March.

Was such a glaring omission in the Direct, I can't help but think Nintendo want people talking about its absence.

I can't wait to get the Galaxy pack. Never played Sunshine before so that will be a treat. Galaxy 1 & 2 were my favourite games on the Wii by miles, except for the damn Spring Mario. Couldn't control that fecker at all. Hopefully with the switch controls it'll be easier!

Spring Mario is indeed a pr*ck

Xofpod wrote: »
    Spring Mario is indeed a pr*ck

But just wait till you meet FLUDD

So I've only got 74 stars in 64
    About 110 in sunshine (loved that game)
    About 40 in galaxy (gave up cause my computer couldn't handle the emulation very well)
    Looking forward to getting 120 in each

• Advertisement

Xofpod wrote: »
    But just wait till you meet FLUDD

Fludd is amazing. If you master it you really can take Mario to amazing places.
    He becomes poetry in motion.

Really hope they iron out the rough patches in Sunshine.

For those who don't know the Gamecube was having a bad time of it so Nintendo rushed out Sunshine and in some places it was really rough around the edges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The entire Sunshine portion of the trailer should've just been the pachinko, falling down the hole over and over

Just thinking ... If this is released in 2 weeks tiime ....What are they going to announce for Xmas time?

New Xbox/PS4 ... They must have something else big planned for November/December time to take the shine off MSony...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

It's been years since I played Sunshine, but didn't the GameCube have analog triggers to control the speed of the flow - the Switch has digital triggers - how will that transfer over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭peter4918

Just thinking ... If this is released in 2 weeks tiime ....What are they going to announce for Xmas time?

New Xbox/PS4 ... They must have something else big planned for November/December time to take the shine off MSony...

BOTW2?

Wishful thinking maybe but fingers crossed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How likely will it be that I can waltz into Smyths in November to pick up a G&W Super Mario in store without a reservation?

Had hoped to pay for it with my Me2You card which I've hardly used this year, but I can't pre-order using it.

Or is it possible to do pre-orders in store and I can use my card then instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭xckjoo

mrcheez wrote: »
    How likely will it be that I can waltz into Smyths in November to pick up a G&W Super Mario in store without a reservation?

Had hoped to pay for it with my Me2You card which I've hardly used this year, but I can't pre-order using it.

Or is it possible to do pre-orders in store and I can use my card then instead?

The FAQ on preorders say that payment is preauthorized on the card 2-7 days before release. You can change the card details before that but you might have the same issue there. I'd say ring them and see what they say but there's no obvious way of doing it

Had my pre-order for 3d all stars collect at Smyths.
    But now see it's free delivery ... I guess if you have an account or something.
    Anyway ... cancelled and re-ordered with free delivery. They couldn't just change my pre-order ...
    I'm sure there will be tons to go around until end of next March.
    Definitely don't want digital.
    Yuck!
    :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3D All stars looks to be a remaster as well with textures being redrawn and videos totally remastered.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    3D All stars looks to be a remaster as well with textures being redrawn and videos totally remastered.

I going to have to purge my newsfeed on my phone, all I am getting is clickbait sh1t about AllStars being "not fit" and then just being búllsh1t which says nothing of the sort.

That said, the limited release of the pack seems like a poor decision, unless we simply don't have all the inforrmation about Nintendo's plans for the remastered games, beyond the short term that we know about.
    Heaven's forbid that Nintendo cloak their plans from their fans!

Advertisement