Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

chrislad wrote: »
    Out the middle of August, but it's showing in the Coming Soon section of the eShop with the price.

Hopefully the Sonic Cycle will finally be broken.

Day one purchase for me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It's not actually developed by sonic team is it? So I'm more than a little hopeful. Whereas sonic forces looks like regular sonic cycle rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Sonic Forces, unless I'm mistaken, seems to be a sequel of the style of Sonic Generations, rather than Sonic Boom. Sonic Generations was the mix of old style 2D levels (though with 3Dish graphics) and a 3D version of the same stage, akin to the newer Sonic games. I really enjoyed Sonic Generations, and if Forces is similar, it's a purchase from me. Sonic Mania is developed by a team led by Christian Fuchs who was hired by Sega after doing some unofficial Sonic ports. I have high hopes for this. It's basically a proper Sonic 4, not that ****e they tried to push on us a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Sonic Mania is developed by a team led by Christian Fuchs
    Unfortunate Name :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

**** sake! Another port! Chess has been on every platform at this stage! Do we need another port!

:pac:

It should be good. I've Pure Chess on the Wii U which was made by them and it's a great game. Plus it allowed for cross platform play so this should as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

This is Chess Ultra, which based on my knowledge of Pokemon means that it's the sequel to Chess with a few minor QoL improvements, a brand new plot (this time a former Pawn who wants to put war behind him and live an agrarian life with his wife and kids gets pulled back into the eternal war when brigands loyal to the White Queen murder his family) and will have additional legendary pieces like the God-Emperor. It should be backwards compatible with Chess too if you have a favourite Bishop you want to bring across. Personally I can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

If we're going to have a chess game why not Battle Chess, where we could at least watch the pieces baite the ****e out of each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

**** sake! Another port! Chess has been on every platform at this stage! Do we need another port!

:pac:

And its not like they will even bother changing much in the game either! No new characters, no new maps or killstreak bonuses or anything!

At this rate FIFA looks like a more iterative series of releases :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

sligeach wrote: »
    It should be good. I've Pure Chess on the Wii U which was made by them and it's a great game. Plus it allowed for cross platform play so this should as well.

Any idea of price?

Any idea of price?

Pure Chess is €5.99 so expect something similar. It's out already apparently on other platforms so I'll check the price there.

Edit: It's €16 on Steam. Yikes!

It's £9 on the PS4 on Amazon.co.uk, though that may be a sale price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/System-3-P4REARSYS02213-Pure-Chess/dp/B00LOSC29O

I wouldn't be confident of a Switch physical version.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Retro City Rampage DX will take up just 24mb in space on the Switch.

Zerodiv has announced Switch versions of Psikyo arcade titles Gunbarich and Strikers 1945, which were originally released in 2001 and 1995, respectively.

Both titles are now available for Switch in Japan at a discounted price of 500 yen each (normally 864 yen), while Gunbarich is currently also available in Australia. A Nintendo.com page confirms Strikers 1945 will launch in North America on August 3. It is likely both titles will be available in regions outside of Japan on August 3.

http://gematsu.com/2017/08/gunbarich-strikers-1945-announced-switch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Seems you can set the orientation to Tate mode, reason I think to buy an iCade again and do some modding!!

Digital version of NBA 2K18 for Switch still on track for launch, physical version pushed to the fall

NBA 2K18 has been delayed on Switch… sort of.

The main launch of the sports title is taking place on September 19. While NBA 2K18 will still be coming to Switch on that day digitally, the physical version will not. NBA 2K18 will hit store shelves on Nintendo’s console sometime this fall.

2K and parent company Take-Two Interactive have not provided a reason for the delay.

http://nintendoeverything.com/digital-version-of-nba-2k18-for-switch-still-on-track-for-launch-physical-version-pushed-to-the-fall/

I can guess why the physical version has been delayed. Similar to NBA Playgrounds, I bet it'll initially be released in a half baked state and they want to wait until it's in a somewhat acceptable condition before printing it on cartridge. The cartridge will always stay the same whereas they can chop and change the digital version as much as they like. It's not fact, just speculation on my part. Maybe there's a cartridge shortage.

Edit: Had a look at the file size for NBA 2K17 on PS4 and PC. It was roughly 48 and 50 GB respectively. Sure the Switch version won't be as big as that, but maybe they're looking at compressing the code. The biggest Switch cartridge is 32GB and they're likely costly too.

I'd say the texture assets take up a lot of that space and the need for that won't be there for the Switch edition.
    I won't be buying regardless, but the size of the Switch cart is ample for most if not all games on the horizon.
    We shall see what the developers say, of it's a limiting factor I'm sure they'll make systems to this effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Just make hi-rez packs available for download on the eshop, push the cost burden of storage to the consumer. This would make a lot more sense if there were a dockless SKU and no 3DS so you could argue the game on the cart is the portable version...

There could be new cartridge sizes on the way. 64GB would be the logical conclusion, but it could be smaller, maybe 48GB. There's a few games on the way that won't fit on the current maximum. They are NBA 2K18, WWE 2K18, possibly FIFA 18(though probably not) and most surely Skyrim. I think the current sizes available are: 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB and the maximum 32GB. 64GB would surely be expensive for the publishers and that could be passed onto the consumer.

While our experience is that such capacity is expensive the truth is that it's getting cheaper all the time.
    Supply could be more of a factor perhaps, but I don't know enough about it to make a solid prediction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The thing with Switch carts is that there's only one manufacturer- Nintendo. It's not like a cd or bluray where you can go to any number of factories and have them printed, if you want to release a Switch cart you have to wait until Nintendo are ready to do a print run for you and that strikes me as the likely reason for the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Rime launching on Switch on November 17th in Europe.

Now all we need is that date for Yooka Laylee.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Now all we need is that date for Yooka Laylee. Stardew Valley

I couldn't agree more!

I'm flabbergasted, my gast has never been so flabbered.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New Yooka-Laylee switch info coming soon.

https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/status/893500933694291969

Bet it still won't be a release date!

The game was so poorly received I've little passion for it anymore.
    Heck, I've Rare Replay there on the XB1 with the two Banjo games on it, I probably already own much of what Yooka Laylee has to offer already.

• Advertisement

Japan will be getting Dragon Quest Builders 2. No idea if this will come West, if I was to guess I'd say probably not. Though who knows as it doesn't look Japanese voice or text heavy.

Dragon Quest Builders 2 - Streamed Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euG4FL3QjpM

At Dragon Quest Summer Festival 2017 also announced for release in Japan by Square Enix are the first 3 DQ games.

Advertisement