Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I must be one of the lucky ones, I had brief drift but resetting the joycons fixed it (I've gone and jinxed it, haven't I?) Haven't had it since and this was about 6 months ago. For the ignorant, is this a prevalent issue then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

pixelburp wrote: »
    I must be one of the lucky ones, I had brief drift but resetting the joycons fixed it (I've gone and jinxed it, haven't I?) Haven't had it since and this was about 6 months ago. For the ignorant, is this a prevalent issue then?

Haven't noticed it on my Lite yet.

I wonder if the EU ruling results in replacement Joy Cons and consequently means they would issue new Lites if it happens to them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Has anyone actually been charged for joycon drift repairs since it was known to be widespread after prolonged usage. Happened to mine after 2 years and also my nephew's Switch. Both free repairs when both out of warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've never had it with the joycons but I do with my left Hori split controller. Makes anything that needs accuracy impossible to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Undermine - just announced for February 11th.
    I've watched some streams and think it looks great.
    A bit of a Zelda/Binding of Isaac hybrid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Immortals: Fenyx Rising has a demo available, for those who want to try before they buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fysh wrote: »
    Immortals: Fenyx Rising has a demo available, for those who want to try before they buy.

Runs really, really well for the Switch. So much so that it's convinced me to buy it.

It's €35 delivered on Smyths too. https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-games/immortals-fenyx-rising-switch/p/180114

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Runs really, really well for the Switch. So much so that it's convinced me to buy it.

It's €35 delivered on Smyths too. https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-games/immortals-fenyx-rising-switch/p/180114

Cheers. Was considering it but had to pull the trigger on a physical copy for that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone pick up Gods Will Fall? Seeing a lot of buzz about it and am pretty tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Fenyx Rising also had the first part of its DLC released today. 15 quid, or 40 for the season pass for it, with two further ones, and an extra quest. By all accounts, the DLC seems to bet getting positive reviews, but the focus is more on puzzles than exploration.

• Advertisement

Anyone pick up Gods Will Fall? Seeing a lot of buzz about it and am pretty tempted.

some mixed reviews - complaints about too much RNG and progression system.

does look very nice but probably not for the easily frustrated player

IFM is decent on switch and certainly worth getting but unless it has to be handheld I would say to anyone with a second console or pc to get it there instead.

combat on switch is a bit janky / not 100% smooth I find and it does look a good bit better even on base ps4 or xbox one

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm chipping away at it. It's tough but fair. Generous checkpoints, no penalty for death and it's pretty methodical - you have to play slow and steady. Enjoying it a lot.

yes the checkpoints AND crucially the ability to buy extra help at same checkpoints from tokens that you collect in-game means that it's very accessible, even for crappy players like myself.

it's a fair compromise of a system overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Smyths stocking the Monster Hunter Rise Switch console for €379.99 doesn't appear to come with the flashy freebies that the official Nintendo site has but for those of us interested heres the link.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-monster-hunter-rise-edition/p/197096

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,051 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Think I'll have to bite at that price.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Really curious to see Apex on the Switch. Doom has shown amazing things can be done but this might be a bridge too far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Depends on who is doing the porting I guess. Panic Button seems to get the time and money, while having the know-how to migrate complex games like Doom to the Switch relatively intact. If Apex has been given to some outsourced studio with a tight deadline and no ownership, it'll be a dogs dinner for sure ala The Outer Worlds.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

fixXxer wrote: »
    Really curious to see Apex on the Switch. Doom has shown amazing things can be done but this might be a bridge too far.

Why? Apex isnt graphically or computationally demanding. The Respawn guys did a great job with it, and have a history of high performance in their games anyway. I'm sure it would be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Why? Apex isnt graphically or computationally demanding. The Respawn guys did a great job with it, and have a history of high performance in their games anyway. I'm sure it would be fine.

Playing it on a base PS4 I could feel it struggling at times with the new Olympus map, so I could see the Switch having issues when there is a lot going on. But if its halfway good I'll be playing it. Hopefully we can link accounts across devices.

• Advertisement

The Switch didn't really have a decent twin-stick shmup until now

bit expensive at full price but there will be sales

very solid game (out on PC before) with banging visuals and audio

glasso wrote: »
    Blue Fire -

Releasing in less than 2 weeks on Feb 4

Even if it borrows elements from other games it looks promising.

Trailer

out today. mostly positive but some reviews give out about back-tracking, uninspired combat and bosses made cheap just by arena environments

shines way more on the platforming than combat

if you fancy a bit of a 3d mash-up of Celeste, Hollow Knight, BOTW then could be a reasonable 10 to 12 hour diversion

Looks great. It's on my wishlist. :)
    Seems to be reviewing well. A solid 8 in most places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Looks a lot like The Wind Waker

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Xofpod

The Switch didn't really have a decent twin-stick shmup until now

bit expensive at full price but there will be sales

very solid game (out on PC before) with banging visuals and audio

Rive isn't a bad option to scratch that Switch twin-stick shmup itch, usually around a quarter of the price in sales.

Xofpod wrote: »
    Rive isn't a bad option to scratch that Switch twin-stick shmup itch, usually around a quarter of the price in sales.

not bad but more of a platforming schmup compared to Bezier which is an out-and-out twin-stick schmup and has sort of manic visuals and music element also

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

not bad but more of a platforming schmup compared to Bezier which is an out-and-out twin-stick schmup and has sort of manic visuals and music element also

That trailer puts me strongly in mind of Beat Hazard Ultra, which is no bad thing at all. I shall keep an eye on this one next time I'm hunting for new games, thanks :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Twin stick shooters...
    They should just bring the first two Geometry Wars games to the Switch and be done with it...
    Well, maybe Robotron as well...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Twin stick shooters...
    They should just bring the first two Geometry Wars games to the Switch and be done with it...
    Well, maybe Robotron as well...

Geometry wars 3 had the previous games included so I'd argue for that one. Although a new package with that And Galaxies also would be cool.

Nex Machina would be great on switch also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Geometry wars 3 had the previous games included so I'd argue for that one. Although a new package with that And Galaxies also would be cool.

Not to disagree with you, but...
    Geometry Wars does have modes replicating the earlier titles but it isn't the same, the visuals are awful and the controls/audio just aren't the same.
    And Galaxies... ick...
    Nex Machina would be great on switch also.

Absolutely and if they could pry all of Housemarque's catalogue from Sony's hands we could sample such pleasures as Super Stardust and Resogun too!
    Not going to happen, sadly :(

Advertisement