Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Coming to a Switch near you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Something Something Mystical Ninja

Something Something Faxanadu

The wait goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I find it insane to think about people coming to Nintendo for the first time, I'm 49 and I've been playing Nintendo for 32 years!
    Home computer games and arcade for 10 years before that!
    It is great to have seen videogames grow from a pastime only enjoyed by a relative few and into the industry it has become.
    So many great games over so many consoles over so many years, and I can't wait to see what comes next!

Switch was my first Nintendo console. I've been gaming for the last 30 years and the only reason I jumped to Switch this generation was the portability factor. My ability to buy games has gone up but my time to play them has dropped. So the portability thing swung me.

It's the same reason I generally tend to buy big AAA third party games on Stadia now rather than my Xbox which has been turned on about twice since I got my Switch. More ways to play is the way for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Switch is like a slightly underpowered Steam machine in my house, with an added rich vein of Nintendo greatness.
    So many of the games on there are also stars on Steam, and have translated across to the handheld quite well.
    Stadia, I am enjoying it too, and I am jumping between the Switch, Stadia and PS5...

I'm lucky enough to own pretty much everything Nintendo have made, as a hardware producer, and it is almost all fantastic.
    The Switch is probably the most unreliable console they have made though.
    I mean, I have a Famicom from the 80s that works perfectly, but my Switch has had all sorts of problems, and this makes me wonder if I will still have a working Switch console in 20 years time, or even 10... or 5!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

The Switch is like a slightly underpowered Steam machine in my house, with an added rich vein of Nintendo greatness.
    So many of the games on there are also stars on Steam, and have translated across to the handheld quite well.
    Stadia, I am enjoying it too, and I am jumping between the Switch, Stadia and PS5...

I'm lucky enough to own pretty much everything Nintendo have made, as a hardware producer, and it is almost all fantastic.
    I mean, I have a Famicom from the 80s that works perfectly, but my Switch has had all sorts of problems, and this makes me wonder if I will still have a working Switch console in 20 years time, or even 10... or 5!

Yep, hope they start making bullet proof hardware again. The WiiU was so fiddly with all it's bits n pieces and the Switch joycons ... I think if you keep the Switch in the dock and use other controllers then it'll last. You do need to take it out to swap carts. I tell the kids to be really careful !!!

• Advertisement

I almost never detached the controllers, they basically have lived attached to the body of the Switch, yet still the inner leads have stopped working on both of them along with the inside edge l and r buttons, so I can't use them as single controllers as a result.
    There's also drift in the right controller and still patchy connection between them and the Switch when detached.
    To be absolutely honest, while the console is a great host to some amazing games, it is the worst Nintendo console I have ever owned in terms of reliability, and I have almost everything they have made.
    I mean, I have a Virtual Boy, and that has oscillating mirrors inside to create the 3D effect and it still works as well as it did when it was brand new, some 28 years ago!

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Yep, hope they start making bullet proof hardware again. The WiiU was so fiddly with all it's bits n pieces and the Switch joycons ... I think if you keep the Switch in the dock and use other controllers then it'll last. You do need to take it out to swap carts. I tell the kids to be really careful !!!

not very switch-y

I keep the switch in the dock too.

Really I just want a state of the art Nintendo next gen console with pro controllers and no nonsense.

Fixed to TV/Monitor.

Switch Heavy.

Goes up to 11.

Bought JC-20 joy-con set in argos today for €25 no rumble feature or nfc but they're working in handheld mode on my let's go eevee switch console the original and a replacement joy-con set dont seem to work due to a rail issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

The move towards generic software & hardware/chips might make this less of an issue than on something like the famicom maybe? Should have far less issues porting these games natively to new hardware in the future I'd imagine.

I don't have a regular switch atm and am really missing the docked play but am trying to hold out for a switch pro/2.

BTW I'd highly recommend a modded wii u to anyone with the time/interest. A LOT of the switch games are on it obviously, in very playable versions imo, and the software to *ahem* download the games you legally own on disk is as slick as pigs on ice. I had already modded a wii so could basically plug that drive in and no new mod needed for that side of it. It seems to be a native gamecube/wii/wii u machine - add in a pro controller and you're laughing. I've given nintendo enough money at this stage anyway :P

EDIT: I jumped out of gaming for a large part of the 00s and further so no idea, but listening to a podcast and the guy said the Dreamcast was the last console to be built that he never had an issue with to this day. All got worse since then with the 360 being the nadir according to him.

• Advertisement

The 360 was a disaster!
    I think I'm on my fourth!

My DC is still working well, some 22 years later.

The Saturn, the MD, the Atari consoles 2600/7800 just fine.

The Vectrex needed work, as did the Colecovision and the Sega Nomad.
    The Turbo Express needs the capacitors replaced soon though.

My Atari Pong console from the mid 70s is mostly working very well, though it needed a very specific ancient B&W tv to see a picture from it, also one of the rotary controls needs attention.

The NES is probably, til the Switch, Nintendos worst console for reliability, it's cartridge edge connector always needs replacing thanks to a lousy design.
    My Famicom that's a couple of years older works just fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

The 360 was a disaster!
    I think I'm on my fourth!

My first (and only) 360 from 2010 is still running perfectly... must have been a fluke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,979 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My (2nd hand) 360 from 2007 still works fine. It does sound like a jumbo jet taking off at times.

The Nal wrote: »
    My (2nd hand) 360 from 2007 still works fine. It does sound like a jumbo jet taking off at times.

I couldn't play either the PS3 or 360 late at night as, in order to hear the game over the jet engines, I'd have to turn volume up too high!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

With the anniversary this month, do you think we'll get any Zelda news?

CastorTroy wrote: »

Ah probably some boring old BOTW2 news again! I'm sick of hearing about it at this stage and they must have shown everything in the game at this stage with all those teaser trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,258 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

nGMrD.gif

But they renew trademarks a lot so probably nothing.
    Besides how will they do the stamping part that I got stuck on? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

One guess I've seen online is a Wind Waker game set (Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and the other one, Spirit Tracks?). If it's true, they'll need to migrate the DS features.

Id love to see Wind Waker on the Switch and a release date for BOTW 2. BOTW got me through lockdown 1 and 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rhyme wrote: »
    One guess I've seen online is a Wind Waker game set (Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and the other one, Spirit Tracks?). If it's true, they'll need to migrate the DS features.

Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks were really poor Zelda games. They just threw in every DS gimmick into them and of course they reviewed really well for what reason I'll never understand, even a Nintendo bias can't make someone that blind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

ERG89 wrote: »
    Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks were really poor Zelda games. They just threw in every DS gimmick into them and of course they reviewed really well for what reason I'll never understand, even a Nintendo bias can't make someone that blind.

I did like Phantom Hourglass at the time, but Spirit Tracks, I couldn't finish. They were fine for the medium they were on, but I don't think they deserve re-releases, bar for the sake of completion. They're not near the upper echelon of Zelda games.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Zelda G&W is all I need :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A new game called Cathedral is out on Switch this week.
    It has a 20% launch discount (taking it under a tenner in Russia, or just €11 here).
    Goes full price tomorrow night.

Think Shovel Knight crossed with Ghosts & Goblins, in a Metroidvania wrapper (over 600 rooms).
    Definitely wears its NES influences on its sleeve.

I've been waiting for a while for this and I'm looking forward to playing it (I preloaded last night).

Looks great very Megaman Zelda II Feel

Is there more due to be announced for the Zelda anniversary? Only ten days left in Feb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,671 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The Nal wrote: »

Fantastic. Deadly, i was gonna dig out the WiiU to play it soon, but I won't now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Fantastic. Deadly, i was gonna dig out the WiiU to play it soon, but I won't now!

July is a while away yet, hopefully there will be more immediate announcements made by Nintendo concerning the Zelda anniversary that'll occupy between now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Ol' Donie wrote: »

€60 though. Seems steep. When you consider the Mario 3D All Stars bundle was the same price.

Advertisement