Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

When is sonic mania out again ?.

15th of this month.... Google is your friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

any shooters that arent shmups or neo geo games out? Payday is about the closest thing so far i can see?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Splatoon 2 is kind of a shooter. Sploosher maybe. There's a top down Tank game in Japan (Touch Tank? Battle Touch? Something like that) but it's probably not what you want*. Other than that it's slim pickings, you're either waiting on stuff like Rogue Trooper and Mprphite (only a month to go for this!) or you're swallowing your pride and playing Nam 1975 ;)

* If this does float your boat, maybe Binding of Isaac (available on the US eShop) might be a decent fit?

How would something like Super Meatboy play on the Switch, I wonder? Would the handheld version be able to handle the frantic and twitch responses that are required to play a game like that?

It feels like it would be most suitable to the console dock and Pro Controller.

I'm debating getting Splattoon 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

How would something like Super Meatboy play on the Switch, I wonder? Would the handheld version be able to handle the frantic and twitch responses that are required to play a game like that?

I completed it on the Vita and it was really good. I'd say there wouldn't be an issue with playing it on the Switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Waching the Sonic Mania 'announcement' stream which was basically a delay of the PC version to the 29th and an unboxing lol

That Collectors Edition statue is feckin huge by the way. It's a full size mega drive base. Awkwardly big imo.

This is one of the worst announcement videos I've ever watched. It looks like someone made a video against a cheap green screen backdrop in the 90's, like those early video dating ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I think the greatest difficulty of playing Meat Boy on the Vita/Switch/Wii U is the urge to lob the pad the room's length whenever Meat Boy be Meat Boy. Consequences are bit greater than slamming your 360 pad in temper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Corholio wrote: »
    Waching the Sonic Mania 'announcement' stream which was basically a delay of the PC version to the 29th and an unboxing lol

That Collectors Edition statue is feckin huge by the way. It's a full size mega drive base. Awkwardly big imo.

This is one of the worst announcement videos I've ever watched. It looks like someone made a video against a cheap green screen backdrop in the 90's, like those early video dating ones.

Ya, it's stupidly big. Not the first time they've done that.
    Sonic25th610.jpg_2D00_610x0.jpg

First 4 Figures made that and it was $385. Madness!

To those who haven't seen this statue for Mania, there's an unboxing and images in the link below.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2017/08/12/sonic-mania-collectors-edition-unboxing?watch

look at the size of the box alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Holy crap thats waaaaay bigger than I thought it would of been, shame I missed out on ordering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

https://twitter.com/CurveDigital/status/896000190020075522

I've been meaning to buy The Flame in the Flood for a while now. Glad to see it get a Switch announcement.

• Advertisement

I forgot the main point I meant to make about the Sonic Mania Collector's Edition. The game doesn't come on a cartridge, you get a download code. That's the most annoying thing, a Collector's Edition that's missing the physical game, which is supposed to be the star. I feel like another game has done this as well but I can't remember what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

EA games frequently do it! Mirror's Edge, Battlefield One, Titanfall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

sligeach wrote: »
    I forgot the main point I meant to make about the Sonic Mania Collector's Edition. The game doesn't come on a cartridge, you get a download code. That's the most annoying thing, a Collector's Edition that's missing the physical game, which is supposed to be the star. I feel like another game has done this as well but I can't remember what it is.

Halo 5 did this also I think, but they backtracked and allowed people to swap the code for a disc.

I meant Switch games. I've remembered now what it is, the Resident Evil Revelations Collectors Edition. In the US they get the first game on cartridge and the second game as a download code. It would have made more sense the other way around. It would make even more sense for them to be both on cartridge. I feel it's Capcom cutting corners for a bigger profit.

But it's worse again for Europe as both games are only available digitally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Carts are the past. I traded in all my cartridges because GameStop were offering a CeX is in town trade in bonus and went completely digital. Much better set up for the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think was Wolfenstein The New Order that had a collector's edition which didn't include the game in any form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Think was Wolfenstein The New Order that had a collector's edition which didn't include the game in any form

It did include a game I bought it !!!!.

An extremely nice box and art box Ended up paying I think 37.50 euros for it as bought a 100 euro GameStop gift card for 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,045 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

fixxxer wrote: »
    Carts are the past. I traded in all my cartridges because GameStop were offering a CeX is in town trade in bonus and went completely digital. Much better set up for the switch.

Nope
    But for me.
    I'm long enough in this game to see that digital is Judy fine, right up to the point that the server is turned off.
    I'll be able to play BotW straight from the cart on 20 years time, unlikely the infrastructure will be in place to let me play digital purchases by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nope
    But for me.
    I'm long enough in this game to see that digital is Judy fine, right up to the point that the server is turned off.
    I'll be able to play BotW straight from the cart on 20 years time, unlikely the infrastructure will be in place to let me play digital purchases by then.

It'll be a possibility, but you can bet Ninty won't be providing it.

• Advertisement

It'll be a possibility, but you can bet Ninty won't be providing it.

Well, there's plenty of form on the established more evolved digital storefronts of games being taken down.
    And it doesn't matter if the game isn't a hit, if you bought it you deserve to access it, which isn't a guarantee into the future.
    Hence why I tend to go for physical media.

sligeach wrote: »

I can't follow the link (pun intended) here at work, so I'm going to have to speculate

Was the title originally "Breast of the Wild?"
    Did roughly half of the horses have giant penises?
    Did they take out the ghost estates in the north western part of the map?
    Did Link speak with a Jamaican accent in the Japanese version?
    Did you get Rick-rolled everytime you ended the conversation early having completed a Shrine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I can't follow the link (pun intended) here at work, so I'm going to have to speculate

Was the title originally "Breast of the Wild?"
    Did roughly half of the horses have giant penises?
    Did they take out the ghost estates in the north western part of the map?
    Did Link speak with a Jamaican accent in the Japanese version?
    Did you get Rick-rolled everytime you ended the conversation early having completed a Shrine?
    As it turns out, the English translation of the game changes one major detail about Calamity Ganon: whether or not it will resurrect after being defeated.

Legends of Localization breaks down the difference between the English and Japanese versions of a line late in the game. In the English version of the game, Zelda says:

"He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure, enraged form."

However, the original Japanese script has her say:

"This form was born from his obsessive refusal to give up on revival…"

Japanese-to-English translations often have a lot of leeway in how they express certain lines, and Nintendo is famous for their well-realized localizations. However, this change alters the context under which you fight Calamity Ganon. In English, it's assumed that this is literally Ganon's final form, and that killing him would end the cycle of rebirth forever. In Japanese, however, this form is just one of many, and even if Link and Zelda finish this fight, he could still find a way to revive himself. This makes the game's finale a bit more bittersweet, since this fight won't end the cycle.

Interestingly, another pair of lines further confuses things. After Ganon is slain, Zelda says:

"Although Ganon is gone for now, there is still so much more for us to do."

In Japanese, she says "the threat of Calamity is gone," according the Legends of Localization.

There. Nothing huge really.

There. Nothing huge really.

Damn, I was hoping for something on horse penis, damn you Nintendo!!!

I posted in the wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Damn, I was hoping for something on horse penis, damn you Nintendo!!!
    In the English version of the game, Zelda says:

"He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure, enraged form."

However, the original Japanese script has her say:
    "Irie, Link - dat Ganon's mickey be fiddy wagga feet long, Mon! Him use it fo' a skippin' rope. Lively!"

Order restored.

Banjo wrote: »
    Zelda says:

"He has given up on reincarnation and assumed his pure, enraged engorged form."

Fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sonic Mania is a hit, guys. They didn't f**k it up.

PS4 reviews, but shouldn't be different for switch. :)

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/sonic-mania

• Advertisement

This particular Sonic Cycle appears to be broken.
    It might simply make the next Sonic Cycle all the more painful!

Advertisement