Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,001 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Why is my text above in bold? Why does this site mess up so much? And how do you unbold text?

Switch is getting 2 Lara Croft games.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to Switch

I was reading elsewhere on Polygon that to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Tomb Raider's launch, Rise of the Tomb Raider is free on PC for Amazon Prime members.

The retro-styled and highly-regarded FPS "Dusk" is out on Switch and it's a great port apparently

Comes with Gyro aiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think I will prefer to wait for this,

Graven, from the makers of Hexen and Heretic, it's due out next year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

This will sell a ton of copies,.especially over the holiday season. The other one on Switch has done really well. Like 16 million copies. Think this one actually supports other controllers apart from joycons which was Nintendo being really mean.

They have this video game / board game market to themselves.

I don't see that running at 60 fps (or anywhere near it) on the switch like Dusk does.

Especially since it's Unreal Engine which has a left a burning carcass of framerate jank in its wake in terms of 3D-world games on the Switch.

Mario Party Superstars – Launch Trailer (Nintendo Switch)

very good "Zelda-type" game Death's Door coming to Switch on Nov 23

Great-looking exploration game with challenging but fair combat and light-puzzle elements.

already very-well reviewed on PC and Xbox (86% metacritic between the two) (only criticism not too long)

looks ideal for handheld

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,840 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Looks nice, but maybe I'm getting old but that tiny sprite would kill my eyes on handheld (on my Lite for sure!)

Would prefer to play something like that on a 55" TV.

Maybe when I get the OLED it'd be better for tiny sprite handheld.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, they have Quake and the a lot more complex Doom and Doom Eternal running on the Switch.

Plus the Switch has an over-abundance of low poly shooters, I don't see a personal need to buy another.

But, that's just my opinion.

Unreal Engine in particular is the issue

Unreal Engine 3D World games have been pretty much without exception quite poor (sub 30 FPS) on the Switch

Doom and Doom Eternal use proprietary 3D engines, allowing for much greater control over minute aspects of ports and also a lot of effort and expense was spent on those two particular ports as you probably know. In fact we likely won't see that sort of investment being put in again on Switch for a port.

Quake is not really that comparable to Dusk tbh

Quake is essentially still a 1996 game and can run on an Ipod Classic mp3 player from quite a while ago

Dusk is a 2018 game and although it has a retro-look it's not a game from the 1990's

It's also a very good game and tbh as a single-player game is way ahead of Quake's old level designs

I can't think of any other game on the Switch in its class really

Games like Ion Fury or the like just wouldn't come close

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Deleted original message cause I found the info on the proper page soz I dunno how to just delete posts on the new site.

Post edited by iamtony on

Shin Megami Tensei V - World in Ruins Trailer - Nintendo Switch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SMTIV was an amazing RPG with a God Tier soundtrack. Atlus have been on a roll lately and if SMTV isn't the best RPG of the year and a GOTY contender I'll eat my hat. It's looking incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Binding of Isaac: Repentance is coming out this week.

Lots of new bosses, upgrades, rooms, environments, secrets and more. See trailer for more info.

You can buy it outright or as DLC for the main game.

• 130+ new items (more than 700 items in total)
    • A full alternate path with brand new chapters and a new final boss and ending
    • 100+ new enemies
    • 25+ new bosses
    • 2 new playable characters
    • 5 new challenges
    • 5,000+ new room designs
    • 100+ new achievements

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, if ever there was an example of a Game's art-style being a huge put-off from ever playing it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,750 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's definitely that; while I just find Edmund McMillen's actual art style very off-putting & gross, with all that edgelord excrement and viscera.

Anyway,

My son loves BoI and can't wait for the DLC for the Switch game.

I was disappointed to learn that Nicalis are the sole vendors of the game as a physical cart, including this expansion, and it's not cheap.

It starts at $60, before shipping and taxes.

Whereas the physical copy of BoI Afterbirth was a more standard 50 euro or so all in.

• Advertisement

Shin Megami Tensei V is averaging 86% thus far from 46 reviews on Metacritic.

SteamWorld Headhunter - Teaser Trailer

Taking the series in a fresh direction, SteamWorld Headhunter is a stylised and colourful, third-person co-op action adventure with a head-popping twist.

While maintaining the style and charm that’s helped make SteamWorld such a beloved franchise, this move into 3D represents a brand new approach to the series.

Thunderful are excited to share more about their vision for this internally developed title soon.

Thunderful Games? I always knew them as Image & Form Games. It seems they're a subsidiary of Thunderful Games, I don't remember that happening, I must have missed it.

Metroid Prime Remaster Development Has Been Wrapped Up Over The Summer, Insider Claims; Says It’s “Clearly Finished”

Disappointed to see Emily Rogers as the source. But I can totally see Nintendo releasing these individually for €60 a pop, rather than as the complete Trilogy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah that's a fair comment, sligeach.

However if they are remastering it (i.e. not just rereleasing the Wii version), there is a massive amount of graphics rework, and that isn't free.

I'd love to see them re-release at mid-range (€39.99). I can dream, right? 🙂

They should work really well on the Switch but fantasising that Nintendo will pass up the chance to deliver a good price-shafting is another matter 😉

Well, it wouldn't be a Nintendo release if their pricing didn't make one's eye twitch. I suppose at this stage it's hard to be surprised - but am certainly disappointed when it happens. All video games require money, time and stress to build; I would argue that remasters - be they from the ground up, or simple asset updates - shouldn't be set at full-price but ... Nintendo does its own thing and won't change for anyone. Not when the products still sell anyway.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I guess a remaster of the trilogy makes sense with MP4 on the way, but as with all rumours, I'll believe it when I see it. More interested in MP4 myself (at least at the prices Nintendo will charge), I still have my Wii and copy of the trilogy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

If it's a full remaster of Metroid Prime, then I can see it being priced same as a new title. The only thing I would say though is that for all the moaning about Nintendo games never reducing in price, you can get the vast majority of 1st party titles from Smyths/Argos for less than €50 within a week or two of going on sale these days. With new PS5/XSX releases now coming out at €80, I don't think the old wisdom still holds so much.

• Advertisement

If it's a full remaster, then, yes, €40(remaster)-€50(remake) would be fair in my book. A good chunk of work, time and money has been saved already for these sort of games.

Advertisement