Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

Were systems announced? I didn’t see anywhere saying it’s a Switch game. I guess it could work, better with touch-screen controls, but these games are best with a mouse. The console ports were ok but they’re designed for a mouse.

Also it’s seems they’re assuming Curse of, Escape from, and Tales of don’t exist since Gilbert didn’t work on these. If the story is continuing after LeChucks Revenge that is.

And .... it's a hit

Ton of content and longevity in it apparently and the best game in the series

Devs really put the effort in to get it working well within the obvious constraints of the switch

Not always possible for technical and/or cost reasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm waiting for Digital Foundry to do an analysis of the Switch version. I watched GameXplain's review yesterday, and they loved it. But they did mention a few issues(Xbox Series S) and worried for the Switch version, which they weren't able to get their hands on. Nintendo World Report said it holds up for the most part but their review was married by a bug. And I also noted some time ago that its file size conveniently just barely let it fit on a 16GB Switch cartridge, I don't know if they made big sacrifices for this to happen. There's very few Switch specific reviews right now and some sites I wouldn't trust at all.

Nintendo World Report had one save bug that nobody else reported.

I'd trust Switch Up

They don't try to polish turds / bullshit and are fairly knowledgeable about what technical effects have been omitted etc

There are enough other reviews out by now (metacritic) to know that it's as good a version as could be hoped for - very good for the switch

The performance seems good in general excepting for a drop for split-screen multiplayer play (reported by Switch Up) which is understandable

The really long delay for this game for all platforms helped the switch I would say as it gave more time for the switch version to be worked on

Normally in terms of the switch version (if there even is one!) there could be a long delay after the other platforms have launched to get it working correctly (like Doom Eternal which took 9 months plus after the other platforms to release)

A welcome surprise imo for such a good version and given that not that much else has launched this year so far on Switch outside the Kirby game in terms of significant releases

I don't see anything suspicious on the file size

14 Gb for the Switch vs 38 gb for PS5 is normal enough given that the PS5 version is going to have 4k graphics which are 4 times the size of 1080p (PS4 version will also have 4K for the PS 4 pro)

14 Gb is already pretty large for a Switch game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is this a brand new game or does it reuse levels from the previous games?

Think Lego City Undercover is the only Lego game I really played. Played a wee bit of a couple others but only in Smyths or somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

it also adds more depth in gameplay compared to previous lego games in terms of combat mechanics (cover mechanics added and also has stealth stages) and light rpg elements (upgrade abilities etc)

obviously it's not going to be "that deep" given that it's a Lego game but it's a step-up from prior ones.

Finding the hidden items is one of the best aspects of these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Have been waiting and following this game for years and am so excited to pick it up later.

Its being reviewed as being in tune with the original humour throughout which was honestly some of the finest humour in video games.

Can't wait to finally get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just watching that SwitchUp review and wow, that's an impressive level of ambition in Skywalker Saga; hadn't realised it was hub-based open-world kind of game. TBH had kinda ignored it, presuming it a low-effort cash grab.

There's very few Switch specific reviews, there's only 7 up on Metacritic. Not exactly household names and one I wouldn't trust with anything. The file size I read back in January was 15.6GB on Nintendo Everything.

Maybe they compressed it more, but it's more likely that 14.2GB listing on Nintendo UK is lacking the various language packs which are on the main Nintendo site as additional downloads.

Though not specifically Switch, Eurogamer also came across a progression-blocking bug in Episode 2 which meant they were unable to see that set of films through. I found a NintendoWire review, these are listed as the cons:

• Frame rate stutters in cutscenes
    • Pop in with textures and objects is noticeable
    • Textures stopped loading well altogether after a long play session

I know I'm listing the few bad things, but I'm getting the bad things out of the way. The game does look good, there's a lot going for it, a tonne of characters to unlock and content to get through. It has it's pluses and minuses but overall it seems really good. TT Games were given the time to work their magic, which with the delays likely got Switch an on par release time. I just hope to see Digital Foundry do a Switch analysis and comparison, because they're the best at what they do, can be trusted and they're always an interesting watch.

• Advertisement

A Demo might be coming so might be worth waiting a little while to try it out before committing.

And do you have another console to play it on if the switch compares too poorly? If not, is there any point in waiting for a frame by frame comparison? Spoiler: Switch port won't be as good as the others on offer.

I only have regualr access to a Switch so there is literally no point in me worrying about how good it looks on Sony/Microsoft/PC hardware. If it's decent on Switch that's fine by me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll get it eventually but I have to wonder not which is the best version but which will get the most play, while the PS5 one will look spectacular, the Switch is the console I use the most often, so that's the one I'll buy.

We have a comparison video.

Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga | Switch - PS5 - Steam Deck - PS4 | Graphics Comparison

The Switch version is heavily downgraded and it's very noticeable. The frame rate on Switch is a steady 30fps, which is nice, though the amount of pop in is very jarring, distracting and off-putting.

Well I'm shocked. Truly, shocking news, the Switch has finally been overtaken graphically and power wise by Sony/Microsoft/et al.

This is the first game that proves it. After all the years where people said the best looking version of games, with least performance compromises was the Switch version, has now seemingly gone forever.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

[sarcasm] henceforth known as The Day The Joy Died, might as well sell all my Nintendo stuff now, it's dead to me [/sarcasm]

Yeah just lucky to be getting this title on switch really

Which also shows imo the likelihood of an upgrade in 2023 that would allow more of these games to come to the switch in the future (as well as allowing for better Nintendo published game performance)

Performance and graphics seem easily good enough to enjoy the game tbh

What's new and interesting now of course is that the steam deck is the better handheld option in the case of this game

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

What's with the snarky sarcasm? Of course the Switch version is worse, everyone knows that. This is just showing the differences. It's the sheer amount of pop-in that puts me off first and foremost, and it's in so many 3rd party games.

It probably can't be helped, but it's highlighting to me that a more powerful Switch is needed(more so for 3rd parties). You're travelling at speed in games and objects are literally appearing right in front of you.

I think they went for a locked 30fps here, and worked from there backwards. As someone else pointed out, the Steam Deck looks pretty good in handheld mode. The Switch has had 2 real revisions, both have concentrated on the handheld market with the Lite and OLED.

Personally, I would like to see a dedicated docked Switch, I couldn't care less about portability. Take out the screen, no need to worry about battery, size constraints or rinky dink awful Joy-Cons and other factors. For the same ~€300(in reality, significantly much less), a Switch Home could run games like this no bother with better resolutions, draw distances, load times, frame rates, etc. And that's not even considering what a Switch Pro or new model could do, but they would be about handheld firstly and more expensive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Why would you expect anything but sarcasm when you post a comment about the Switch version of a game being inferior to other more powerful platforms as though this is a shocking revelation? Only clowns or contrarians would pretend that it's a surprise. You seem to think it's a smoking gun that proves they have to release a 4K Switch Pro or something.

As for a home-only switch... If you're so sure it's dead easy and cheap to do, why notshare the plans with Nintendo? I'm sure they'll get right on it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

It's the portability that is the real pull for me on the Switch (and the reason I would buy a game on that over, say, my PS4 or Steam)... take that away and you'd be left with a generic PS5/Xbox clone (apart from the exclusives obviously)

• Advertisement

The Steam Deck is several times more powerful than the switch though (and that's a docked switch, even more so off dock), has 4 times the ram and is also handheld and isn't that expensive either.

It doesn't have the Nintendo games (except for those doing it by emulation) but certainly for games on both switch and steam it's a far superior option and in many cases the games will be cheaper (possibly significantly so).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The Steam Deck is an interesting new challenger (not least because a lot of Switch indie darlings are on Steam for cheaper prices...) but it's not yet at mass availability - right now Valve will take orders expected to be delivered in October this year or later.

(I've seen a couple of comments about the controller layout being unideal, which makes me think I'd really need to try one out before wanting to spend the cash)

reports seem pretty good on the steam controller input from what I've seen.

overall I'd rate the joycons as bad, and that's not even taking drift into account.

imprecise thumbsticks, not comfortable to hold for longer sessions, no proper d-pad.

could also point to lack of analogue triggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

yeah I was just referring to the other poster's suggestion about Nintendo creating a version of the Switch which is purely docked. It wouldn't interest me. They could make it as/more powerful than the PS5/Xbox and it would just be another clone of those really. The fact you can game docked and then take it on the road and experience the same is why I would buy a game on Switch over the more snazzy PS5/Xbox version.

Definitely the SteamDeck is an interesting proposition for the Steam games though.

well the thread has gone off topic a little again but I didn't start it!

If someone doesn’t care about portability and want to play 3rd party games with the best resolution and graphics then get an Xbox, PlayStation or PC. It’s not rocket science. You’ll never be playing 3rd party games at those same resolutions and visuals on a Nintendo console and no amount of pointing out the obvious will change that.

House of the Dead is great fun on Switch, pretty cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The joycon work ok as a lightgun?

• Advertisement

Seems to, it feels better than tilting the Pro controller about or moving the on-screen crosshairs with the analogue stick

Advertisement