Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Why does the Web address end in WiiU?

Surprise port in the offing?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,212 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Maybe like so many other Switch games, it started life on Wii U. I certainly wouldn't say no to it on Wii U, Nintendo will though.

Edit: No, that's strange, this is what you want.

http://xenobladechronicles2.nintendo.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

You say that like Wolverine is a dude.

Jesus, man, I though you just left Boards for a while, not the whole planet!

(Any character Fox have control of is now dead or genderswapped, and there are no mutants because they were all wished dead)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    To any one preordering Sonic Forces.
    Seeing as you will buy literally anything and are no students of history...
    I have some shares in Psion and Pebble for sale, cheap to be sure, and bound to give a great return....

I would normally agree with the statement but this is a follow up to Generations, which I really enjoyed, and it's fairly cheap in comparison to other games, so why not? Worst case scenario, I can see bad reviews prior to release and not buy it, or if I do get it and don't like it, it will hold trade value for the day it takes me to figure that out.

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
    Friends to the End!
    DNywdsgUEAIEY6W?format=jpg

Sky, Bolo, and Rotty to the Rescue!

Howdy Backers! We’ve got some special news for you today – a first look at our next major Half-Genie Hero expansion, “Friends to the End”! Up until now, we’ve referred to this one as simply “friends mode”: the stretch goal that adds Sky, Bolo, and Rottytops as playable heroes. Today we’re ready to pull back the curtain and show off this awesome new addition!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2034571

A tonne more information at the link.

Edit: Always have trouble with Kickstarter images, I think they don't like them being used externally so I've Tweeted it instead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    Maybe like so many other Switch games, it started life on Wii U.

This is an opinion, not a fact.

I said maybe and naturally it's an opinion. Nintendo won't ever say I bet. I'll be interested to hear what they say when Pikmin 4 finally shows up. Wouldn't be surprised if they try and avoid any mention of Wii U.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

@Sligeach Kind of a tangent but did you notice you now have your own tribute act on Nintendolife?

Of course they'll avoid mentioning the WiiU. You don't spend 15 minutes of your Groom's speech talking about your Ex or the girl you met in Mauritius that one time and went through 18 bottles of rum and a half pound of Vaseline with.
    That's what the best man is for.

I guess that makes you the Switch's best man...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There's a Faux-Sligeach in operation??!!
    Gotta see this!
    Any chance of a link to this source of entertainment and consternation?

Banjo wrote: »
    @Sligeach Kind of a tangent but did you notice you now have your own tribute act on Nintendolife?

Of course they'll avoid mentioning the WiiU. You don't spend 15 minutes of your Groom's speech talking about your Ex or the girl you met in Mauritius that one time and went through 18 bottles of rum and a half pound of Vaseline with.
    That's what the best man is for.

I guess that makes you the Switch's best man...?

I've had several stalkers and impersonators over there, right down to copying my avatar and spelling my name with a lower case L instead of a capital I in the spelling of SL"I"GEACH and posing as me.

Anyway, some news.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-01-if-monster-hunter-world-doesnt-get-you-into-capcoms-incredible-series-nothing-ever-will

From what they say here, it doesn't sound like Monster Hunter: World is ever coming to the Switch. I'll pick out some quotes.
    ...I know that Monster Hunter is great. There are a few million others, whether that's in the series' traditional homeland of Japan or further afield, who know that too. The problem is, Monster Hunter has never had the mainstream, widespread global appeal that Capcom feels it really should have, and that the series most definitely deserves.

...What it really feels like, ultimately, is a colossal step on from the last mainline entry in the series (that'd be Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, a game whose directors - Kaname Fujioka and Yuya Tokuda - return for Monster Hunter World). Coming from the confines of a 3DS screen to the expanse of World being played on a PS4 Pro on a 49-inch screen, you understand why there was reluctance to call this one Monster Hunter 5. It's such a leap it may as well be Monster Hunter 7 or 8.

"Monster Hunter has always been based around utilising the hardware we had at hand," Fujioka tells me in a small meeting room at Capcom's Osaka headquarters. "On handheld, it was having these fun games you could take anywhere and play with people around you - they were based on short-term production cycles, too. This time, one of our focuses is having players sit down and relax and immerse themselves deeply in the game. I'm happy to hear that you think it sounds like Monster Hunter 7 or 8! Really, though, it's about making a Monster Hunter that's tailored to the hardware."

And so Monster Hunter World does feel like it's been tweaked for the longer sessions that home consoles are associated with, and been furnished with the hooks that'll keep you coming back for more. Perhaps more pertinently, it feels like a game designed for hardware as it's employed today...

...That loop remains as compelling as ever, embellished with a new set of features only possible on more powerful hardware such as the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

..."I've been involved with the series since the very beginning," Fujioka says of Monster Hunter: World's guiding concept. "Once we were finished with 4 Ultimate, our basic foundation, the request from producers, was bringing Monster Hunter to a new platform, to these high spec consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shantae: Half-Genie Hero

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2034571

A tonne more information at the link.

Instant buy. Shantae HGH is fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I've had several stalkers and impersonators over there, right down to copying my avatar and spelling my name with a lower case L instead of a capital I in the spelling of SL"I"GEACH and posing as me.

Anyway, some news.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-01-if-monster-hunter-world-doesnt-get-you-into-capcoms-incredible-series-nothing-ever-will

From what they say here, it doesn't sound like Monster Hunter: World is ever coming to the Switch. I'll pick out some quotes.

Sit down and relax with Monster Hunter game?! What MH game they talking about?! If you are not chased down by savage T rex like yolk with very dodgy mood, while screaming F word on the loop its not MH. :pac:

I was really disappointed that theu went home consoles instead of switch. Switch was perfect for it. Ah well, looks like I am buying ps4 pro too after all. My launch ps4 sounds like yet engine even after I opened it up and cleaned out all dust. Its going to kick the bucket any time now.

The PS4 sells comparatively little in Japan, compared to the 3DS.
    In all likelihood, if the Switch makes an impact on the Japanese market, Capcom will fast track a Monster Hunter title to the console.
    They'll follow the money, just like the always have.

I see Redout had been released on both PS4 and Xbox One, no sign yet of the Switch version.
    It's still scheduled for this year but, they're running out of year!

Sonic Forces review
    When fan service doesn’t go far enough

Summary:
    Sonic Forces creators' good intentions and interesting ideas don't amount to much in a game so clumsy and limited in design. It certainly doesn't help that Forces follows right on the heels of Sonic Mania, a game that not only demonstrated a more focused design sensibility but also did a far better job of realizing its creators' ambitions. Forces may have had a larger budget than Mania, but it feels like the poorer creation all around. Unless your dearest dream has always been to play a Sonic game as your own original fan art character, Sonic Forces doesn't have much to offer.

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/5/16609838/sonic-forces-review

5/10

They reviewed it using a Switch copy of the game which may not have helped the score, although they give the other platforms the same score at the bottom. I wonder if they're using the Switch version as a stick to beat the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Sonic Forces review
    When fan service doesn’t go far enough

Summary:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/5/16609838/sonic-forces-review

5/10

They reviewed it using a Switch copy of the game which may not have helped the score, although they give the other platforms the same score at the bottom. I wonder if they're using the Switch version as a stick to beat the others.

More likely its just another bad sonic game.

Still gonna buy it.

5/10.

Better than expected so....

Probably a repurposed WiiU game.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Probably a repurposed WiiU game....

Or the usual bad Sonic game. There must be far more bad ones than good now.

Well, I can count the really good Sonic games on one hand.

Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic Mania....

And that's it.

Anything that's 3D is not a great Sonic game.

Sonic Generations is a decent game.
    Sonic Adventure was novel at the time.

But that is pretty much it.

The GBA and DS titles were... alright, but not great.

The Sonic game on the Neo Geo Pocket Color is pretty decent...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, I can count the really good Sonic games on one hand.

Sonic 1
    Sonic 2
    Sonic 3
    Sonic & Knuckles
    Sonic Mania....

And that's it.

Anything that's 3D is not a great Sonic game.

Sonic Generations is a decent game.
    Sonic Adventure was novel at the time.

But that is pretty much it.

The GBA and DS titles were... alright, but not great.

The Sonic game on the Neo Geo Pocket Color is pretty decent...

I thought Sonic Rush on the DS was great, but every other portable Sonic was pretty forgettable.

Retr0 reports, and he's right, that the GBA and DS titles, while looking the part, really had too much in the way of sudden and abrupt deaths and ended up as memory tests.
    They remain good fun, but I wouldn't class them with the original trilogies and the expansion cart on the MD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Criticising Sonic games for sudden and abrupt deaths is like criticising Mario games for having too much jumping, it's pretty much always been part of the formula. While it's fair to say the portable games had them, it's unfair and inaccurate to say the Megadrive games didn't.

Without going too in the weeds about an old Sonic DS game in a switch thread, my praise for sonic rush basically boils down as follows:
    • Great music. Bonkers but great. Final boss music samples lines from a Malcolm X Speech. Not even kidding.
    • Only two playable characters: Sonic and Blaze. Sonic is has strong horizontal movement on the ground and vertical movement in the air. Blaze is slow on the ground, and can't go high in the air, but has excellent horizontal air movement. Also when Blaze "spins" to kill enemies she loses all momentum, so you usually avoid them. They're subtle differences, but they make the characters, and by extension the stages with each character feel very different.
    • The game has a trick gauge which encourages you to be flashy off of springs, rails and while in the air. Sufficiently building the trick gauge lets you do a superdash, which moves you incredibly quickly while covering you in an enemy killing fire. This means you can go fast and not be hurt by enemies whenever you want, for maybe the only time in Sonic's history? You need a certain amount of this gauge to access the chaos emerald stages as well, so you have the weight the pros/cons of blowing it all when you get it, or sitting on some if you need to access a secret area. All in all it encourages you to be flashy, stylish and to move really fast, which I'd argue is the core of what Sonic really is.

I thought Sonic Rush on the DS was great, but every other portable Sonic was pretty forgettable.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It's ok. The boost mechanic is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

That Sonic kart racing game on Wii U was really good.

Capcom Made A Lot Of Money Recently And Two Switch Games Helped
    The publisher calls out Monster Hunter XX and Ultra Street Fighter II as performing well during the last quarter.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/capcom-made-a-lot-of-money-recently-and-two-switch/1100-6454691/

Perhaps SEGA should have kept their mouth shut.

We'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Ohh this is going to be an expensive couple of weeks, champion amiibos are out friday so is doom. la noire androcket league next week and xenoblade 2 few weeks later.

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/927517218002399232

Advertisement