Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,214 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mr E wrote: »
    €5.49 on ipad (I was browsing the app store last night)

I think the Switch is a better fit for this, and the multi-user system means that my family can enjoy it too.

I'll pull the trigger tonight - it's under a tenner on the South African eshop.

@sligeach - I've spent a tenner on shorter movies in the cinema. I've no problem paying that for a highly regarded, unique and very enjoyable experience.

I was going to respond to johnny_ultimate with that analogy, yes you can look at it that way. I like value for money though, seeing it cheaper on other platforms doesn't help either and it being digital means I'd play it once then it would just lurk somewhere in the dark recesses forevermore. I'd buy it for a few €'s. I don't get why it's €10 more expensive on Switch than iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I played some more of Gorogoa at lunch time. I think it might be a mini masterpiece. Once you click with the in game logic and rules then there's a real feeling of accomplishment when you figure out each of the puzzles. Oh and its beautiful to look at too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Mr E wrote: »
    Out next week as far as I know?

you're right december 21st, my bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

sligeach wrote: »
    I don't get why it's €10 more expensive on Switch than iphone.

€3.85 more expensive with a small bit of work. Not a massive premium for the switch version, given the value added.

I have a feeling that I'm fighting with a brick wall on this one, though. Sorry sligeach. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

magnumbud wrote: »
    i would say the WiiU was probably the worst name for anything ever both as being silly and also a marketing disaster where a lot people just thought it was an add on to the wii

Can't argue with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Can't argue with that.

My sister who is a non-gamer but pretty savvy to games (all things considered) thought the Wii U was some kind of non-home-console tablet, so in her mind it was a 3DS successor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

My sister who is a non-gamer but pretty savvy to games (all things considered) thought the Wii U was some kind of non-home-console tablet, so in her mind it was a 3DS successor.

I've mentioned this a million times, so I apologize for repeating myself, but I have a brother and another friend, both of whom are legit Wii-owner and game-enthusiasts, that weren't wise to the Wii U being its own thing until they saw mine. In any other instance you'd scorn them for being noddies, but given the nonsense amount of first and third party peripherals released for the Wii, I can kinda see the source of their confusion. The Wii'd beden pretty much dead since 2010, so I doubt anyone was paying much attention to anything with 'Wii' in its name.

Dragon Quest Builders for Nintendo Switch Gets Japanese Release Date
    The Nintendo Switch version of Dragon Quest Builders gets a release date for Japan, alongside new gameplay footage on the hybrid console.

https://www.dualshockers.com/dragon-quest-builders-nintendo-switch-release-date/

It will release on 1st March next year in Japan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Ohd2GuJq8

It was really frustrating watching that player constantly mess up the jumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Inner space coming to switch in jan 16.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/12/14/innerspace-releases-january-16/
    In the final days of the Inverse, you must help the Archaeologist recover the last remaining memories before they are lost forever. Fly through ancient skies and abandoned oceans to discover the lost history of this fading realm, where entire civilizations have died, yet their gods still wander.

I think it looks amazing!

Official trailer of Dragon Quest Builders from Square Enix. Google translated heading.

Nintendo Switch ™ version "Revive Dragon Quest Builders Aleghard" Promotional image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-V5noM7Y5Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Is it just me, or is the music awful?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Where's Meg Ryan ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Inner space coming to switch in jan 16.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/12/14/innerspace-releases-january-16/

I think it looks amazing!

that does look nice

Max: The Curse of Brotherhood - Switch vs. Xbox One - Visual Comparison Video (Direct-Feed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxajCEYtlfo

I can definitely notice the vaseline screen effect going on here. Lighting is another difference. There's one shot at the end that best shows the differences. I'll try to grab some stills in a few minutes.
    DRLKXQEXUAA4W8k?format=jpg

DRLKZeFW0AEGeza?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

sligeach wrote:
    I can definitely notice the vaseline screen effect going on here. Lighting is another difference. There's one shot at the end that best shows the differences. I'll try to grab some stills in a few minutes.

Must be me but I think the switch version looks crisper and better.

If you watch that scene with the 2 photos at the end you can see better lighting and it's not muddy on XB1, You can also see other effects like spray coming off the waterfall, the water looks better, there's more happening in the background, the ropes of the bridge are clearer and if you watch the vine on the right, leaves appear on the XB1 version after a few seconds, I snapped the photo a little early, while the vine stays the same on Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

If you watch that scene with the 2 photos at the end you can see better lighting and it's not muddy on XB1, You can also see other effects like spray coming off the waterfall, the water looks better, there's more happening in the background, the ropes of the bridge are clearer and if you watch the vine on the right, leaves appear on the XB1 version after a few seconds, I snapped the photo a little early, while the vine stays the same on Switch.

I can see a difference but you do have to look for it and if it wasnt a side by side comparison you'd never really no the difference.
    More importantly is that game any good? My daughter would be into it I'd say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Hard to play Xbox games on the bus or sitting on the jacks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sure when has a bit of extra Vaseline ever been a bad thing?

sligeach wrote:

I'm not sure what you're expecting to show here? No one expects the Switch to match the Xbox or PlayStation versions. It is completely expected that there will be cut backs due to the lower powered hardware. However, as long as the best possible effort is made to maximise what the hardware can do, there shouldn't be any issue?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Sure when has a bit of extra Vaseline ever been a bad thing?

Water based lubricants only,
    :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Has anybody picked this up? Never Stop Sneakin'

Kotaku had good things to say about it. Basically a parody of Metal Gear Solid with you controlling everything with just the thumb stick it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Has anybody picked this up? Never Stop Sneakin'

Kotaku had good things to say about it. Basically a parody of Metal Gear Solid with you controlling everything with just the thumb stick it seems.

Even if the game itself is no good, that's a great trailer! :)

Love the theme song.

fixxxer wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're expecting to show here? No one expects the Switch to match the Xbox or PlayStation versions. It is completely expected that there will be cut backs due to the lower powered hardware. However, as long as the best possible effort is made to maximise what the hardware can do, there shouldn't be any issue?

See with games like this and others I don't think they are putting the maximum effort in, it doesn't look like it's pushing the XB1 anywhere near to the limit nevermind the Switch. It's kind of like they just turned the proverbial tap a little to dial things down so it can run on Switch. Maybe they're not capable themselves of more(or it could be that the reward versus the cost has to find a balance) but the Switch should be. It's kind of like how Nintendo manage small game sizes in terms of compression while others churn out GB guzzlers. Yooka-Laylee, as an example, to me looks like a game where a developer tried to "maximise what the hardware can do".

BRAWLOUT INTERVIEW – A NEW CHALLENGER BRAWLS ITS WAY ONTO NINTENDO SWITCH

http://cogconnected.com/feature/brawlout/

See with games like this and others I don't think they are putting the maximum effort in, it doesn't look like it's pushing the XB1 anywhere near to the limit nevermind the Switch. It's kind of like they just turned the proverbial tap a little to dial things down so it can run on Switch. Maybe they're not capable themselves of more(or it could be that the reward versus the cost has to find a balance) but the Switch should be. It's kind of like how Nintendo manage small game sizes in terms of compression while others churn out GB guzzlers. Yooka-Laylee, as an example, to me looks like a game where a developer tried to "maximise what the hardware can do".

It's a pity that while the developer was in the 21st century the gameplay is firmly in the mid 90s.

Ok I get ya now. Fair point as well, as you say Nintendo can squeeze some pretty amazing results out of the hardware. The Switch would benefit enormously from new IP being released on to it rather than developers trying to shoe horn titles on it that were never developed with its limits in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Advertisement