Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

sligeach wrote: »

looks like a portal esc game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Did anyone notice that Arcade Archives Double Dragon was supposed to be available in the eShop on 28/12 but it never showed? Just wondering if anyone has any info on when it might be released? Spent manys a 20p on that game in the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,216 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Skies of Fury DX Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3XZG4ZVCOY

– 100 different missions
    – Unlockable comics based on the real history of Bloody April
    – Multiplayer modes, Survival and Versus, for up to four players
    – Hundreds of unlockables to customize your plane
    – Play to unlock upgrades for your flying and combat abilities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Skies of Fury DX Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3XZG4ZVCOY

– 100 different missions
    – Unlockable comics based on the real history of Bloody April
    – Multiplayer modes, Survival and Versus, for up to four players
    – Hundreds of unlockables to customize your plane
    – Play to unlock upgrades for your flying and combat abilities

Loved the Air Combat games back in the day. This looks cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I really like Air Combat, on the PS, played on hard.
    But after that it all palled a bit, for me at least.
    Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe was brilliant on the PS2 though, made by the same team who made X-Wing and Tie Fighter on the PC.
    G-Police was also fun.

Before that, the only simulator I really got into was LHX Attack Chopper on the Megadrive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I really like Air Combat, on the PS, played on hard.
    But after that it all palled a bit, for me at least.
    Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe was brilliant on the PS2 though, made by the same team who made X-Wing and Tie Fighter on the PC.
    G-Police was also fun.

Before that, the only simulator I really got into was LHX Attack Chopper on the Megadrive.

Gunship and Wings, both on the Amiga, is where I got my aerial fix.

More recently, I'd love if Birds of Steel and all it's DLC was re-released. Or even made available on the Xbox One backwards compatibility list, too lazy to play it on the 360. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

pilotwings. pilotwings. pilotwings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

desert strike, had it on the gameboy and megadrive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

I disagree strongly about your views on 3rd party support. By and large they've sold poorly, especially the one's you've mentioned. Chart for a week, maybe 2 and then gone, never to be heard of again. FIFA 18 is there in today's UK charts on the other formats, the Switch version disappeared after a fortnight. DOOM and Skyrim failed.

I still don't think the 3rd parties are fully on board. It's largely watered down, old, expensive ports. And throw in some shady cartridge practices as well. Yes, Nintendo is doing well and some indies have had success, they don't need the bigger sales numbers that 3rd parties require to turn a profit. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is selling well but that's a collaboration and no doubt helped by the Mario name.

I'm really looking forward to this next Direct. It should give us some answers as to the extent of 3rd party support. And if they really do come on-board now then it could be a year before we see that bear fruit.

What would you consider a "success" for 3rd party games on the Switch?

Fair enough a game is in the charts for 2 weeks and then is gone but to what extent is that a failure?

Do you know how many copies of DOOM and Skyrim the publishers were expecting to sell? How many did they actually sell compared to that?

It kind of feels like you are offering an opinion without really having any idea of what 3rd party developers are expecting from the Switch.

Do indies on Switch come under your "3rd party" umbrella or are we actually talking about AAA 3rd party here?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In fairness to the figures Sligeach uses for the statistics, they're the UK charts. That doesn't account for the amount of Switch owners buying games from the eshops of foreign countries, South Africa, Russia, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Star Lord wrote: »
    In fairness to the figures Sligeach uses for the statistics, they're the UK charts. That doesn't account for the amount of Switch owners buying games from the eshops of foreign countries, South Africa, Russia, etc...

Or even the UK eShop either.

The eShop figures are a small fraction of the overall sales total. Somewhere around 20%. I use the Japanese figures as well. I've mentioned other countries too but sporadically, e.g. Spain.

Rainway Deletes All Mention of the Nintendo Switch

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/362487-rainway-deletes-mention-nintendo-switch

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Well you absolutely cannot compare the sales of say Fifa on the switch 5 months into its life with the PS4 5 years into its. the PS4 install base being gigantic with the switch only at the start of it's life.

And while of course the head honchos at the likes of EA will want to see huge sales, they will understand simple maths. You cannot sell more copies of the game than their are consoles out in the wild.

They will use some manner of attach rate do determine how well it has sold, the fact that fifa was selling out on the switch in the UK around release is probably more indicative of where that particular 3rd party feels things are headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You're giving EA too much credit. This is the same company that released Mass Effect 3 on the wii u at full price the same time they released the trilogy on the other systems and then used that as part of the reason to not support the console

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Corholio wrote: »
    They replied to someone on Twitter the other day that it's almost wrapped up and will be out 'Q1'.

I should've been patient, they just dropped this on Twitter:
    RT this and follow us for a chance to win a brand new Nintendo Switch console! Winner will be randomly chosen from RTs on February 2nd. When we reach 65,000 followers, we'll reveal one of our first physical Switch releases!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

sligeach wrote:

That was inevitable, a shame but I never saw it happening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

seemed extremely unlikely to me from the moment it was first mentioned and no surprise it was pulled. allowing people to stream 3rd party games from steam just seems to me to question why would a 3rd party dev then bother to do a switch version of said game or at the very least it would impact sales of said game and i couldnt see why nintendo would want that

‘Chicken Wiggle: Re-Hatched’ appears to be coming to Nintendo Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

Surely no direct on the 11th.

How much notice would they normally give of a direct?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It was the 12.1.17 when the first Switch Direct was broadcast.
    So, it would certainly be apt to have one this year at about the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surely no direct on the 11th.

How much notice would they normally give of a direct?

Normally a day or 2. Though the initial Switch reveal with Karen was announced early in the morning the day of.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think I read elsewhere that there's been 2 Directs in the past 12 months that have been announced the day before.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

The eShop figures are a small fraction of the overall sales total. Somewhere around 20%. I use the Japanese figures as well. I've mentioned other countries too but sporadically, e.g. Spain.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/362487-rainway-deletes-mention-nintendo-switch

People are jumping the gun on this. Apparently, the website never made any mention of the Switch in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

You post such random stuff
    Am i right that you dont have a switch
    If so why the obsessive posting about the switch :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

irishman86 wrote: »
    You post such random stuff
    Am i right that you dont have a switch
    If so why the obsessive posting about the switch :confused:

If he posts a few positive things about the Switch on one day, he can then pointlessly sling mud at it the next day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Rhyme wrote: »
    If he posts a few positive things about the Switch on one day, he can then pointlessly sling mud at it the next day.

Thats what i mean by random, why so much bother over a console he doesnt have :confused:
    I presume everyones gone into other console threads and had a read, but ive never seen such obsession over a console a poster doesnt own :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Move on, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Mod Edit: I said move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

First Rainway trailer (and the switch is all over it).

Advertisement