Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,046 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Kirby at 30fps sounds disappointing.
    A strange decision.
    Rather than Rainbow Paintbrush it should be compared to Return to Dreamland on the Wii, which ran at 60fps.
    But I'll buy it anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Ah lads €14.99 for Portal Bridge Constructor??

It's a fun game but that's extracting the urine, especially swing as what the Google Play price is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

sligeach wrote: »

I know Blizzard have come out and denied this but this would be perfect on the switch. I've been holding out on a switch but if this happened I might have to cave and get it

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Kirby at 30fps sounds disappointing.
    A strange decision.
    Rather than Rainbow Paintbrush it should be compared to Return to Dreamland on the Wii, which ran at 60fps.
    But I'll buy it anyways

Is it? 30 Fps is perfectly fine. The game isn't as fast paced as some are making out. I think the overall look and graphical fidelity is top notch.
    And not sure where this perception that the game won't be worth full price.
    Who has confirmed how much content is available?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the Kirby games are such an easy series of titles that people have avoided them.
    Not everyone though, which is why they are still being made!
    I love the recent titles on the 3DS and probably see this as the next in that branch.

Who cares as long as the game can be enjoyed.

Just because something isn't particularly a big challange shouldn't define the quality and overall gameplay loop.

Sure look at Mario Odyssey. One could say it's extremely easy and another could say it's extremely challenging. You can make this decision on your own.

Until the game is released I'm not sure how such judgement can be passed on the new Kirby game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Who cares as long as the game can be enjoyed.

Just because something isn't particularly a big challange shouldn't define the quality and overall gameplay loop.

Sure look at Mario Odyssey. One could say it's extremely easy and another could say it's extremely challenging. You can make this decision on your own.

Until the game is released I'm not sure how such judgement can be passed on the new Kirby game.

Agree 100%
    It seems these days if its not super hard its immediately dismissed as kiddy or just a game to avoid

Came across this video this morning. Have your salt at the ready. But possible Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 on Switch leak. There's a couple of things within the video I want to check out.

https://streamable.com/a0ztu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

irishman86 wrote: »
    Agree 100%
    It seems these days if its not super hard its immediately dismissed as kiddy or just a game to avoid

same goes if it's not 4k and 60fps

i have zero issue with playing a game at 30fps if the game is fun and enjoyable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kirby games actually sell consistently very well. They are quite easy but very self aware of that. I've enjoyed most Kirby titles I've played and the 3DS ones (Triple Deluxe and Planet Robobot) were fantastic. Star Allies LOOKS to be a bit safer as a title but you do tend to find with a lot of Nintendo titles is that a brief look at a game rarely tends to tell the whole story. Should be fun regardless though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

M!Ck^ wrote: »

In fairness unless this radically bucks the Kirby trend, I think you can very safely say this is going to be an easy game. And that it's going to be kid-friendly. That's what Kirby games are for. The only exception so far has been the ill-judged 90s shooter "Clinton Rules : Kirby's Rampage"
    (tagline : he smokes 'em. He doesn't inhale) but I think we're all better off forgetting that that ever existed.

Nintendo on their Japanese site has cofirmed that the Playtime glitch will be fixed with a future update and that the data hasn't been lost.

Google translate:
    Question: [Switch] Looking at "play record", it is displayed as if you played a few days ago though it is software that has been running for more than 1 year since playing started.

Answer: As for the phenomenon in which "My Play History" is not displayed correctly on my page, we plan to fix it in the future main body update.
    Please wait for delivery of main body update data.

(*) It is a problem on the display of My page, and it is not abnormality of play record or saved data, so do not worry.

[url.external]https://support.nintendo.co.jp/app/answers/detail/a_id/35151[/url]

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

downloaded and played the Kirby demo last night. I have never played a Kirby game ever before.

I really enjoyed the game, I was hooked after 5 minutes. Very generous demo as well, really enjoyed both levels. The graphics, sound and game play are top notch. The game play is buttery smooth with 30fps not a problem at all.

I will definitely be buying a physical copy of the game later this month.

I tried it myself and it's just as lovely as the other Kirby games.
    The 30fps thing though, it's great that people are cool with it, but would have preferred to see 60fps.
    My guess is they had issues optimising and, rather than having it lurch from 60fps to 30, ruining the atmosphere, they locked it to 30.

I'll be buying it also, but probably find something to trade as the €70 GS are looking for is waaaay too steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Played Kirby this morning. Definitely not for me. Looks very polished but just didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

€70 GS are looking for is waaaay too steep.

Christ! it's €45 on Amazon UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I tried it myself and it's just as lovely as the other Kirby games.
    The 30fps thing though, it's great that people are cool with it, but would have preferred to see 60fps.
    My guess is they had issues optimising and, rather than having it lurch from 60fps to 30, ruining the atmosphere, they locked it to 30.

I'll be buying it also, but probably find something to trade as the €70 GS are looking for is waaaay too steep.

sadly this is probably down to the hardware in the switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dunworth1 wrote: »
    sadly this is probably down to the hardware in the switch

Why do you say that? Is Mario not 60fps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Pre-ordered Kirby a while back, loved the demo, really looking forward to getting the game proper Friday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I've been playing Persona 5 on the PS4 this week and goddamn is it fantastic, this should be on Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I've been playing Persona 5 on the PS4 this week and goddamn is it fantastic, this should be on Switch.

I would happily buy both Persona 4 and 5 again on the Switch.

Played Kirby demo. It's fun, inventive (especially when your powers combine for a winter Olympics tribute) and very pretty but... I just can't see it getting it's hooks in. I'll pick it up cheap down the line, maybe.

DIY Nintendo Switch XL (Supersize)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svHjXfDUDsU

Unfortunately it doesn't fix the Joy-Cons. They wouldn't be as bad if they were bigger.

As bad as what?

When used on the Screen, they're comparable to the WiiU gamepad.
    When used on the break-out holder, they're comparable (in size) with most modern controllers.
    When used sideways, yes they are tiny but THAT'S THE BASIC BAREBONES HYPERCONVENIENT 2PLAYER CONFIG!
    Did you ever see MacGuyver bitching about how his Nokogiri in his garden shed back home was so much better than the ****ty serrated blade on his swiss army knife? No! Because he wasn't in his shed, he was tied to a nuclear bomb in a control room somewhere in the middle east and he needed something portable that did the job and was available right then and there (so he has time to disarm the bomb with 1 second left on the timer) rather than the best possible tool that existed on the planet regardless of it's relevant location.

There is nothing stopping you getting a 2nd controller, a 2nd pair of JoyCons, a 3rd party wired or wireless alternative. And don't say "The price is stopping me!" because even the official pro controller can be had for roughly the same cost as those of other platforms (£50 from a few sites before discounts at the moment, and if you can't find it wait 3 days and try again). You're clearly regretting letting your Odyssey Edition go. It's still out there for you, man. Waiting. Along with the ghosts of most of the best WiiU games that you know you want to pay for all over again.....

I've got big enough hands and I have no problems with the Joycons at all.
    I think Sligeach you are speaking of a problem you have, or had that time you tried them out, vs the vast majority of us who own them and have no problems at all.

Banjo wrote: »
    As bad as what?

When used on the Screen, they're comparable to the WiiU gamepad.

When used on the break-out holder, they're comparable (in size) with most modern controllers.

When used sideways, yes they are tiny but THAT'S THE BASIC BAREBONES HYPERCONVENIENT 2PLAYER CONFIG!

As bad as they are now. They're not comparable to the gamepad. The analogue sticks are smaller and have a more limited range of motion. There's a squishiness to pressing the buttons. There's no D pad. The shoulder buttons are terrible. My finger can fit over both at once.
    MmNlZjE5YTQwZiMvdWtSS2lMYXNDMkl5SWMxQWRkTmh4QUlDQUhnPS8xNng5ODoyNDk3eDE4NzUvZml0LWluLzc2MHgwL2ZpbHRlcnM6cXVhbGl0eSg3MCk6bm9fdXBzY2FsZSgpOmZvcm1hdChqcGVnKS9odHRwOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL3BpYzh5eHF1NGd4MHE1Y3Y0NnE5dTN6dW1zZXJ0YWJ2amc5YjR5cGp0ZDh6dXczd2o5azA2cXhlc2pmcTRkY2ouanBn.jpg

Massive compromises had to be made to make the Joy-Cons fit on the sides of the Switch and go for that dual controller aspect. And yes they are hideous sideways in every possible way, being lobsided, being uncomfortable, the awful shoulder buttons, etc.

There's a reason the Pro Controller is so much better and more comfortable. It has bigger buttons, analogue sticks(more range, it doesn't have a scrawny stalk for the stick), shoulder buttons(the L+R buttons are bigger the ZL+ZR buttons on the Joy-Cons), etc. It's not limited by size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I wish the buttons on the joy cons and analogue sticks were bigger tbh. The triggers are a bit too small as well.

You just compared them to the gamepad. And so endeth the "comparable" argument. :D

I'll play into your hands though for a minute. If you take a sliding scale of whatever you think the best controller is, all the way down to that cheap quickshot II knockoff I bought in the 80s where I had to keep opening it up and sanding the green gick off the microswitches, I'd argue that the joycons rank higher than the DS family, Vita family and the LCD racing car game I bought in Argos with pooperscooping money. And yes, maybe they don't scale the awesome heights of the <insert that controller you stuck at the top of the scale> but they are, as you keep pointing out, a compromise. That doesn't make them bad, it just makes them good at a lot more at the expense of being excellent at a couple of things. The sticks are OK. The split DPad is ok. The sideways functionality is OK. The colour schemes are... let's not talk about the colour schemes. But they do an awful lot more than pretty much any other controller you might care to mention in terms of allowing - however much you might not revere it - DPad / 8 button, 2 stick / 8-12 button , 2 player 1 stick 6 button or motion control all in one tight little package.

Yes, I'm playing the "It's a portable" card. I know how you feel about that. I'll spare your fingers the wear and tear.

C'mon! Love the Con!

• Advertisement

Played Kirby this morning. Definitely not for me. Looks very polished but just didn't like it.

Didn't quite gel with me either. As you say, very well presented and very charming... but the charm only carries so far for me.

I'll wait for the reviews. (Although the demo has it sold to the young fella already - he wants to play "the pink guy with the big mouth").

Advertisement