Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭geotrig

I've already asked them online but i hope blazblue is a physical release for eu

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I almost pulled the trigger on the PS4 versions but I realised that I would only want to have it for the arcade titles, as I have all the 2600 titles I already want in my collection.
    Even with the arcade titles, I think they are so readily available on Raspberry Pi's everywhere, I don't know what the attraction really is.
    I'm more interested in possible news from Atari of a hopeful Tempest 4k release on the Switch, not to mention the other Minotaur Project titles, including Gridrunner ++

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Switch firmware 5.0 is out. I'll eat my earlier words, it's very underwhelming.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/nintendo_switch_system_update_5_0_0_is_now_available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That price list is US prices, going by the dates. The full price games seem cheap by Irish Gamestop prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr E wrote: »

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/nintendo_switch_system_update_5_0_0_is_now_available

I love my Switch, but I don't understand how we can be on 5.0, which implies 5 major milestone releases, in a year, when NOTHING of value has been added to the OS. This is closer to a 1.5 release, rather than a 5.0

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »

I'm glad they fixed the playtime issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

chrislad wrote: »
    I love my Switch, but I don't understand how we can be on 5.0, which implies 5 major milestone releases, in a year, when NOTHING of value has been added to the OS. This is closer to a 1.5 release, rather than a 5.0

Milestones can just be for API or source code changes, nothing to do with new features

*Edit* Seeing mentions of new hardware revision, Mariko, to do with the SoC. Not as exciting as I first thought after a Google :(

*Double edit* There's a Joycon update too, seems to fix sync issues and having to wait for your controller to stop trying to connect before you can turn your Switch on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

It's strange looking back at the posts from a year or so ago, when we assumed VC would be out pretty shortly, and now it doesn't seem any closer now than it was then. We don't even know what form its gonna take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Milestones can just be for API or source code changes, nothing to do with new features

*Edit* Seeing mentions of new hardware revision, Mariko, to do with the SoC. Not as exciting as I first thought after a Google :(

*Double edit* There's a Joycon update too, seems to fix sync issues and having to wait for your controller to stop trying to connect before you can turn your Switch on.

So they've rewritten it 5 times, and the only APIs I can think of that could have been exposed are the video recording ones. They just use a unique way of versioning. Compare Android 1.0 to Android 5.0, and iOS 1.0 to iOS 5.0, and there's significant differences. The Switch, not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

chrislad wrote: »
    So they've rewritten it 5 times, and the only APIs I can think of that could have been exposed are the video recording ones. They just use a unique way of versioning. Compare Android 1.0 to Android 5.0, and iOS 1.0 to iOS 5.0, and there's significant differences. The Switch, not so much.

It looks like they just increment the major version every 3 months. If version 1.0 was released at launch in March 2017, it would make sense to be releasing version 5.0 now. We do something similar where I work.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

tailgunner wrote: »
    It looks like they just increment the major version every 3 months. If version 1.0 was released at launch in March 2017, it would make sense to be releasing version 5.0 now. We do something similar where I work.

I can't think of any software that would go through 5 major releases in the space of a single year. Nintendo just have an arseways versioning process. :pac:

Anyway, has anything of note been added to the OS since release? I only got mine back in Nov/Dec and don't recall any major changes since then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I can't think of any software that would go through 5 major releases in the space of a single year. Nintendo just have an arseways versioning process. :pac:

Anyway, has anything of note been added to the OS since release? I only got mine back in Nov/Dec and don't recall any major changes since then anyway.

biggest thing i remember was the ability to record gameplay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

V Rally 4 incoming.

Hopefully it turns out well. It will be nice to have an actual racer other than MK8.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/03/v-rally_4_drifts_onto_nintendo_switch_this_september

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Will that play ok with digital acceleration instead of analog shoulder buttons?

Or will we have to make a cardboard cockpit with 4 joycons for accel, brake and steering? that is my preferred solution, now I think about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember playing V-Rally on the PS using digital controls, no problems there at all.

Maybe it'll be an ideal time for Ninty to release an analogue controller for the system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Banjo wrote: »

Or will we have to make a cardboard cockpit with 4 joycons for accel, brake and steering? that is my preferred solution, now I think about it.

Labo Rally kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo wrote: »

If I remember correctly, V-Rally on the PS1 leaned more towards the arcade side so you didn't have to worry about being sensitive with the throttle. Something like Dirt Rally on the other hand would be unplayable on the Switch with its current controllers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,046 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Shadow Bug - Nintendo Switch Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMVJ87kF_W0

It releases in Europe and America on 30th March.

Wow, being a Switch owner means you better really, really like 2D Super Meatboy clones, like really really really like them, a lot!

I hope either Gamestop or Game gets that Octopath Traveller CE for pre order, can't find it anywhere yet.

• Advertisement

Also also, Just found out in Kirby that you can get rid of your allies by holding L and pressing y.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wow, being a Switch owner means you better really, really like 2D Super Meatboy clones, like really really really like them, a lot!

Honestly they're all starting to blend into each other. I've probably seen dozens of them in the store but couldn't tell any of them apart.

STREET FIGHTER 30TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION INCLUDES 8-PLAYER TOURNAMENT MODE ON SWITCH

https://gonintendo.com/stories/304389-street-fighter-30th-anniversary-collection-includes-8-player-tour

FAMITSU POLL FINDS THAT 54% OF SWITCH OWNERS PLAN TO PAY FOR SWITCH'S ONLINE SERVICE

https://gonintendo.com/stories/304427-famitsu-poll-finds-that-54-of-switch-owners-plan-to-pay-for-swit

36% of people are undecided. It doesn't say so, but I presume the other 10% won't pay for it.

The Tiniest Lil' Nintendo Switch Game Cases
    oud5kfyj4bxydggrikux.jpg

iftmnx8qr7p77xszscdd.jpg

v6rnnbzqxyvea4utpqxe.jpg

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/03/15/the-tiniest-lil-nintendo-switch-game-cases

These look great.

Honestly they're all starting to blend into each other. I've probably seen dozens of them in the store but couldn't tell any of them apart.

I have a few, most recently Celeste and The End Is Nigh, and they have to offer something other than the same old teeth gnashing challenge to be relevant.
    The End Is Nigh I'm pretty divided on, on the one had it's very hard, on the other it's visually uninteresting...
    Celeste, on the other hand, is a sensory delight, and the challenge never makes you want to hurt anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I haven't played The End is Nigh since I got to the Water area... too difficult for me.

This is going to be huge

This could be the Mario Maker of digital/real world crafting.

They'll have to create a forum for sharing programmes and structures, very cool indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    The Tiniest Lil' Nintendo Switch Game Cases
    oud5kfyj4bxydggrikux.jpg

iftmnx8qr7p77xszscdd.jpg

v6rnnbzqxyvea4utpqxe.jpg

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/03/15/the-tiniest-lil-nintendo-switch-game-cases

These look great.

I'd definitely lose them :pac:

Advertisement