Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,041 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That's also partly why a digital only future would be terrible. Nintendo rarely have sales for their own games and if they do, they're usually stingy.

Mario Kart 8 is still €60 on the Wii U eShop, plus another €12 for the DLC. Whereas the Switch version has it included, plus the fixed Battle Mode and the few improvements made and it costs less. There's many other examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I imagine a large part of it is that physical games take up physical space in warehouses and shops, so there's incentive to get rid of them, which is why we see stuff like large special edition versions of games eventually retailing at a tenth of what they were originally priced at.

Digital Games are infinite and occupy no space, so if Nintendo are simply really lazy at auditing and putting their digital stock on sale (which I suspect is the case) they have no external reasons to retail stuff like MK8 Wii U at a fair price.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm a physical game man because my collection is, at this point, vast and physical from top to bottom.
    The exceptions are the devices since the digital stores came along and it always killed me to own something and be at the mercy of the hosting system servers.
    Now MS and Sony have been pretty good on bringing a lot of content from system to system, but I know that a lot of the content will end up dying with the PS3/4.XB360 in years to come, and there's a lot of games there!
    So, Physical is my preference when it comes to video games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The reason why digital is either the same price or even more expensive than physical is to appease the retailers.

The retailers stock and sell the actual consoles but their main source of income is from games. If digital was half the price of physical, there would be a lot of unhappy retailers out there losing revenue.

A poor relationship between Nintendo and Amazon for example could greatly effect Nintendo getting their consoles in people's homes.

The only real area were digital games obviously win out is of course the PC space were the sale of consoles is not an issue.

Nintendo on Switch Indie Success, Top 10 on eShop + Plans to Improve eShop Visibility

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAH5n-MTbZg

Or if you can't watch it, Siliconera have transcribed the information.

Damon Baker Of Nintendo Of America Talks About Indie Success On Nintendo Switch

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/21/damon-baker-from-nintendo-of-america-talks-about-indie-success-on-nintendo-switch/

• Advertisement

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA Release Date Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-tOaEFYQOc
    "Ys returns with a brand new adventure for the first time in 8 years! Adol awakens shipwrecked and stranded on a cursed island. There, he and the other shipwrecked passengers he rescues form a village to challenge fearsome beasts and mysterious ruins on the isolated island. Amidst this, Adol begins to dream of a mysterious blue-haired maiden living in a unknown world. Join Adol as he unravels the riddle of the cursed isle and the blue-haired maiden Dana in Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana! Coming to Nintendo Switch June 26 in North America and June 29 in Europe!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

sligeach wrote: »

If that can run smoothly on Switch there's no excuse for any device using hardware as a reason to not port a game, it runs like a pig on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

While it's always nice to see more games announced, I can't see Ark being anything less than a disaster on Switch. At least at launch anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

While it's always nice to see more games announced, I can't see Ark being anything less than a disaster on Switch. At least at launch anyway.

It's possibly an offshoot of the upcoming mobile editions, not pushing the same complexity as the other console and computer versions but uprated from the mobile editions for iOS and Android.
    That way they can tailor the experience for the Switch.
    Should be interesting

Finally, The Switch's Joy-Con Is Getting A D-Pad
    tkfa2nttyldxg5yoighg.jpg

https://kotaku.com/finally-the-switchs-joy-con-is-getting-a-d-pad-1823981032

HORI are making it, it's officially licensed. It's coming out in July in Japan and will cost roughly the equivalent of a little less than €21. Expect it to be about €30 at least as everything gets a price hike here, that's provided it gets a Western release, there's no reason why it won't be.

However:

Note that it can only be used in the handheld mode and doesn’t have acceleration, gyro sensor or vibration features.

No wonder it's so cheap. Those are some major tradeoffs. Deal breakers in fact.

Super Smash Bros. Invitational & Splatoon 2 World Championship 2018

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FpFgh36jb88

Nintendo hosts Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018, Splatoon 2 World Championship tournaments

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/super-smash-bros-invitational-2018-splatoon-2-world-championship-tournaments

Here's the body of the text as some of you may not be able to read it as Nintendo sometimes redirects us as it's from their American site.

On June 11-12 in Los Angeles, an invited group of players will gather to play Super Smash Bros., and qualified teams will compete in Splatoon 2, as Nintendo hosts an event featuring high-level gameplay on these two games for Nintendo Switch. This will be the first-ever exhibition tournament featuring the recently announced Super Smash Bros. game coming to Nintendo Switch in 2018. Additionally, this will be the first world championship for Splatoon 2 after the game’s launch. The gathering will be a celebration of fun for all ages, and will highlight Nintendo’s unique approach to competitive play. The event will be just one of Nintendo’s activities at the E3 video game trade show, which runs June 12-14 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. Additional details about Nintendo’s E3 plans will be announced at a later time.

The event will showcase players from around the globe in the Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018 tournament for the newly announced Super Smash Bros. game coming to Nintendo Switch this year and the Splatoon 2 World Championship. The competitions will be livestreamed.

Prior to the Splatoon 2 World Championship, Nintendo will host U.S./Canada online qualifiers. The U.S./Canada qualifier will be the Splatoon 2 U.S./Canada Inkling Open 2018 hosted by Battlefy. Open qualifiers for teams of four ages 13 and up will take place on April 21 starting at 11 a.m. PT, and finals will take place on April 28 at 8 a.m. PT. Teams will compete in Turf War during the open qualifiers and in Ranked Battle modes during the finals. Players can learn more about the qualifiers at https://e3.nintendo.com/splatoon-2-inkling-open/. Players from around the world competed in their region’s qualifying events for a spot at the Splatoon 2 World Championship, and those in Japan (Splatoon Koshien 2018), Europe (Splatoon European Championship) and Australia (AUNZ Splatoon Cup) should check information from their local regions regarding these qualifiers.

“Nintendo always takes an original approach to video game competitions, and the portability of Nintendo Switch enables unique gameplay possibilities,” said Doug Bowser, Nintendo of America’s Senior Vice President of Sales and Marketing. “We’re looking forward to watching some of the best players in the world test their skills against each other in these two uniquely competitive games.”

For additional details about the Nintendo Switch event, visit https://e3.nintendo.com. Visit https://battlefy.com/splatoon2 to register for the Splatoon 2 U.S./Canada qualifiers. More details about the Los Angeles event will be announced in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So Smash is in that playable of a stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

No wonder it's so cheap. Those are some major tradeoffs. Deal breakers in fact.
    I wouldn't go that far.
    How many games that use the D-Pad also use motion controls?
    How many gamers who are that psychotically focussed on their input device wouldn't be using a Pro Pad when docked?
    The lack of those same features on the cabled controllers for the same price weren't deal-breakers, they're similarly limited.
    It gives you D-Pad on the go. And nothing else. It's a niche product. And at that price, I think it will find it's niche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

CastorTroy wrote: »

Which doesn't bode well for a new iteration. Not that I'm too pushed either way, truthfully!

CastorTroy wrote: »

It's been playable since late 2014. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

chrislad wrote: »
    Which doesn't bode well for a new iteration.

I don't see why not really. If it releases near the end of the year it'll be 4 years since the Wii U release won't it? That's plenty of time for a new iteration.

But I'd play a Deluxe version too, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Dude... Seriously...

WTDnnwE.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Of all the games, it's the one where a Deluxe re-issue makes most sense to me, because of the huge cost of ownership of the DLC, not to mention the Amiibo. Also, it has MASSIVE amiibo functionality baked in, plus you could add 1 or 2 new characters and sell a **** tonne more amiibo. Who loses? I mean apart from Sligeach, who kind of wins because he can complain about the lack of a similar WiiU edition for a good 2 months after release?

• Advertisement

You don't need that d-pad by the way. The current buttons are more than capable.

The way the DLC for Smash is done on Wii U/3DS is a mess. There's no all in one bundle, you've to buy about 7 of them I think and they cost well over €100 for just one version, more if you want both the Wii U/3DS package.

Nintendo are not going to pass on an opportunity to rinse people for all of the content from Wii U/3DS. They don't have to do much, it already runs at 1080p and 60fps. Yes it came out 4 years ago, but they only finished the DLC a couple of years ago, Sakurai needed a break and has hinted at taking things easier. He's involved but he talked about consultancy recently, I think he was talking about Smash Bros.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/02/07/sakurai-says-he-may-take-a-consulting-role-in-his-next-game/

They'll likely add a bit more content, characters and stages but I'm sure the base will be the Wii U game.

I really hate being forced to buy these games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not on a home console that people wanted to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

chrislad wrote: »
    Which doesn't bode well for a new iteration. Not that I'm too pushed either way, truthfully!

If it were a normal publisher I'd be ok but Nintendo tend to make only 1 Mario Kart or Smash Bros per system and MK8 was already on the WiiU so I find it as a missed opportunity when they port over their own big IP's. It makes sense financially but you'd like to think for 60 bucks your buying something new and not a GOTY edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Has it been confirmed that Smash isnt a new game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

I, for one, believe it will be a new game and not a port and I am not afraid to say that this is just my opinion and not masquerading it as a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Has it been confirmed that Smash isnt a new game?

nothing has been confirmed about it. some are assuming its a port due to the short dev time between announcement and targeted release. its likely that it will be built off of the same engine probably enhanced but to some that makes it a port the same way that splatoon 2 is considered by some to be a port

magnumbud wrote: »
    nothing has been confirmed about it. some are assuming its a port due to the short dev time. its likely that it will be built off of the same engine probably enhanced but to some that makes it a port the same way that splatoon 2 is considered by some to be a port

Has this been confirmed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭fixXxer

ERG89 wrote: »
    If it were a normal publisher I'd be ok but Nintendo tend to make only 1 Mario Kart or Smash Bros per system and MK8 was already on the WiiU so I find it as a missed opportunity when they port over their own big IP's. It makes sense financially but you'd like to think for 60 bucks your buying something new and not a GOTY edition.

Wii U sales numbers were so low, the large majority of people will be playing something new.

Advertisement