Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Has this been confirmed?

ninja edited it :p i cleared up as short dev time between announcement and release.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

fixxxer wrote: »
    Wii U sales numbers were so low, the large majority of people will be playing something new.

Those 2 games were multi-million sellers though stuff like Captain Toad I could understand re-releasing but I'd rather new games from big franchises tbh. I genuinely don't think there was a need for Mario Kart so early in the lifecycle of the system either as they had so much last summer alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

ERG89 wrote: »
    Those 2 games were multi-million sellers

Multi million sellers on a machine that was incredibly unpopular. They would be crazy not to tap into the Switch market.

It's clear to everyone that Nintendo has cannibalized the Wii U in order to ensure the success of the Switch. Imagine new Nintendo owners having all of those games available in year one? That is the reason we are seeing the likes of Doom, South Park, Wolfenstein, and an influx of physical indie games being released.

It is shocking that people are surprised by this. It is even more ridiculous that Wii U owners feel slanted over this.

Nintendo owes you nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think, as a WiiU and a Switch owner it's a little disappointing to see so many titles being ported but, being an owner of both is a small club compared with the number of both actual and potential Switch owners.
    Nintendo would be crazy not to get well reviewed content from an underappreciated console and get to the Switch audience.
    I would then imagine that the best days of the Switch are ahead, and we should look forward with confidence to whatever madness is to come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Nollog

sligeach wrote: »
    Finally, The Switch's Joy-Con Is Getting A D-Pad

No wonder it's so cheap. Those are some major tradeoffs. Deal breakers in fact.

Yeah, hori would make a killing if it was just a cheap 3d printed dpad that clipped on to the current buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

All this talk about ridiculous 3rd party file sizes and Nintendo have only gone and cut the size of Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze in half.
    6.6GB
    Thanks to a tip from a reader, I was able to log into my Japanese eShop account on Switch and take a gander at the listing for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze -- only to find out that the file size has been posted!
    According to the listing the Switch port is 6.6GB, which is roughly half the size of the Wii U original of 11.4GB. Compression ho! Japanese eShop users can pre-load the game now that the size has been posted, and we can only assume that the functionality will make its way across the world over time.

https://www.destructoid.com/donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-on-switch-will-be-nearly-half-the-size-of-the-wii-u-version-495656.phtml?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Think it might behoove them to share whatever magic they're using to compress that noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,041 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Football Manager Touch 2018 for Nintendo Switch Rated in Korea

https://www.thenerdmag.com/football-manager-touch-2018-nintendo-switch-rated-korea/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

magnumbud wrote: »
    nothing has been confirmed about it. some are assuming its a port due to the short dev time between announcement and targeted release. its likely that it will be built off of the same engine probably enhanced but to some that makes it a port the same way that splatoon 2 is considered by some to be a port

I would actually prefer if it was a port in the same way that Splatoon 2 is.

I love the WiiU and 3DS Smash and really I would be more than happy with the same underlying game with a new roster of characters and stages and maybe an added feature or two.

Ideally they could kick it off with a small roster and introduce new characters for free once a month before introducing paid DLC 6 months to a year down the line.

I'd rather have that than an all new smash that is a little bit rushed and that doesn't compare well to the Wii U version.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

Maxpfizer wrote: »
    I would actually prefer if it was a port in the same way that Splatoon 2 is.

except its not a port its a new game. just cause it uses the same engine doesnt make it a port

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Those 2 games were multi-million sellers though stuff like Captain Toad I could understand re-releasing but I'd rather new games from big franchises tbh. I genuinely don't think there was a need for Mario Kart so early in the lifecycle of the system either as they had so much last summer alone.

Well the 7.33 million people who bought Mario Kart 8 for the Switch disagree with you and the fact is that it's the fatest ever selling Mario Kart game.

I think people really underestimate the appetite for Nintendo games on a system that people actually want to own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Well the 7.33 million people who bought Mario Kart 8 for the Switch disagree with you and the fact is that it's the fatest ever selling Mario Kart game.

Yes cause people wouldn't have bought a new Mario Kart game if they made one.

Yes cause people wouldn't have bought a new Mario Kart game if they made one.

Why make a new one when there's already a massive appetite for a game than so few people have played?

Nintendo should port every single game they released on the Wii U, because no-one bought the system.

People did buy the system. And Nintendo weren't trying to recoup development costs of MK8 with the Switch port. The game sold near 8.5 million copies on Wii U. It's greed and easy money for little effort, Nintendo's favourite kind.

You think Nintendo compressed the upcoming DKC: Tropical Freeze for the consumers benefit? No, it's so they can eek out even more profit by using an 8GB cartridge instead of a 16GB cartridge on an already extortionate port. Reminder, it's €20 new on Wii U, Switch owners have to pay €60 for practically nothing new added besides an easy mode.

The Wii U got last generation ports for €20 but on Switch they're €60. No talk of system transfers or upgrade fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭panevthe3rd

People did buy the system. And Nintendo weren't trying to recoup development costs of MK8 with the Switch port. The game sold near 8.5 million copies on Wii U. It's greed and easy money for little effort, Nintendo's favourite kind.

You think Nintendo compressed the upcoming DKC: Tropical Freeze for the consumers benefit? No, it's so they can eek out even more profit by using an 8GB cartridge instead of a 16GB cartridge on an already extortionate port. Reminder, it's €20 new on Wii U, Switch owners have to pay €60 for practically nothing new added besides an easy mode.

The Wii U got last generation ports for €20 but on Switch they're €60. No talk of system transfers or upgrade fees.

Conspiracy blown wide open there. I can see the headlines

"Company wants to make money easily!!!"

Scandel

What's so wrong about a videogame company making money? Especially if there's a clear and overwhelming demand from consumers for their products.

Make some new games instead. Nintendo are the stingiest company I think I've ever seen. People were saying yesterday's eShop sale was the biggest they'd ever seen from Nintendo. How many were from Nintendo? Out of 140 I think I read somewhere. 4! That's what I counted. 1 on Switch and 3 on 3DS(people can find them and draw their own conclusions). ARMS was the only Switch title, trying to drum up some interest in that. And it's not just that DKC: TF is €60 now, that's likely going to be its price for the next number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Make some new games instead. Nintendo are the stingiest company I think I've ever seen. People were saying yesterday's eShop sale was the biggest they'd ever seen from Nintendo. How many were from Nintendo? Out of 140 I think I read somewhere. 4! That's what I counted. 1 on Switch and 3 on 3DS(people can find them and draw their own conclusions). ARMS was the only Switch title, trying to drum up some interest in that. And it's not just that DKC: TF is €60 now, that's likely going to be its price for the next number of years.

Most companies put items which don't sell well on sale. Why would you discount Odyssey to €40 when it's selling loads at €60?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In the grand scheme of things, it's a great sale. Over 75 Switch games and a good few with deep discounts.

I dunno dude - if you won the lotto, you'd probably find a reason to give out about it. :)

Make some new games instead.

Why bother when there's clearly still a massive appetite for the ports?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Most companies put items which don't sell well on sale. Why would you discount Odyssey to €40 when it's selling loads at €60?

I'm not talking about Odyssey. You picked the biggest of their most recent releases. Nintendo have a catalogue of hundreds, in fact probably thousands, if counted, of games on the various eShops, be they old, new, VC games, etc. It was only yesterday that I was saying that MK8 is still €60 on the Wii U eShop, plus €12 for the DLC. That's just wrong, especially given that MK8D now exists. But even if it didn't, the game's now 5 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The Wii to WiiU ports were cheaper because they run natively on the WiiU. So they were lazy and overpriced too. And I think you might have called that out at the time.

But otherwise, regardless of how big the sale is, the point that Nintendo are only barely taking part in it themselves is undeniable. If unsurprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Why bother when there's clearly still a massive appetite for the ports?

They've been making plenty of new games. These ports have very little impact on what new games are being made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think this year has been very light on big AAA titles on the Switch from Nintendo themselves.
    I'm unsure if this is due to the ridiculously high bar set by 2017, or due to them keeping their powder dry until the E3, but Labo seems to be the only Ninty title of note so far.
    The ports are easy money and I would hope that their development isn't stalling the production of new games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think this year has been very light on big AAA titles on the Switch from Nintendo themselves.
    I'm unsure if this is due to the ridiculously high bar set by 2017, or due to them keeping their powder dry until the E3, but Labo seems to be the only Ninty title of note so far.
    The ports are easy money and I would hope that their development isn't stalling the production of new games.

Kirby would disagree and then do a happy little dance to show why you are wrong.

magnumbud wrote: »
    except its not a port its a new game. just cause it uses the same engine doesnt make it a port

Sorry! I thought Splatoon 2 was actually kind of just Splatoon 1.5.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I love Splatoon 2 and I'll be first in line to hand over my cash for Smash in whatever form it takes.

If the customers are fine with it then why is it a bad thing? Why is it greed?

Nintendo: Do you want Mario Kart 8 on your Switch?
    Me: Yes, please. How much?
    Nintendo: 60 Euro.
    Me: One copy of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe please!

Later...

Me: Lads, I'd also be willing to give you some money for Skyrim on Switch, Dark Souls, I'd pay a few Euros for some Zelda DLC, and if you ported a few of the great Wii U games I might be willing to pay up for Tropical Freeze and Captain Toad!

Video game consumers come across as one of the most entitled and demanding demographics because they are constantly complaining that products they personally don't want to buy are on offer. Or they are constantly complaining about the cost of products. Or they are winging that there aren't enough sales.

If I had my way every new console release would be accompanied by upgraded versions of like the top 50 games from the previous generation.

Just like movies going from VHS (did anyone have Betamax?)to DVD to blu ray etc it is sometimes good to sit down with your brand new set up and throw on some of your old favorites.

You seem to spend most of your time complaining that Nintendo are selling things that people want to the people who want them for a price they are willing to pay.

The idea that because people will pay it the price is fair, oh dear God where do I begin.... Would there be a point?

Banjo wrote: »
    The idea that because people will pay it the price is fair, oh dear God where do I begin.... Would there be a point?

I was once out for a walk when I got into a conversation when I had to make my point clear...

That was a night in prison I'll never forget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo wrote: »

Voting with your wallet is always worthwhile advice. I have MK8 on the Wii U but was happy to spend 60 on a digital Switch version. I won't be touching Donkey Kong, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors or Smash though. No harm done either way.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Voting with your wallet is always worthwhile advice. I have MK8 on the Wii U but was happy to spend 60 on a digital Switch version. I won't be touching Donkey Kong, Captain Toad, Hyrule Warriors or Smash though. No harm done either way.

I will agree with you when we get a new MK, DK and Smash. Till then, it's resources wasted on Fairweather consumers.

Advertisement