Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo wrote: »
    I will agree with you when we get a new MK, DK and Smash. Till then, it's resources wasted on Fairweather consumers.

Is it though? How much R&D is required to port them? Thinking at how easy it seems for devs to get a version of their games on the Switch, I can't imagine Nintendo would stress over it.

'Fairweather' customers fuel every industry, not enthusiasts. Their custom has created great success for the Switch so far which will hopefully turn into further third party support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I will agree with you when we get a new MK, DK and Smash. Till then, it's resources wasted on Fairweather consumers.

Resources wasted in what sense? Towards making new games? There's very little evidence it has any impact on making new games resource wise. We are all 'fairweather' consumers though, there's always something of one kind or another that we'd really want to buy. If MKD had flopped, Nintendo would have been accused of being greedy as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Is it though? How much R&D is required to port them? Thinking at how easy it seems for devs to get a version of their games on the Switch, I can't imagine Nintendo would stress over it.

'Fairweather' customers fuel every industry, not enthusiasts. Their custom has created great success for the Switch so far which will hopefully turn into further third party support.

That sounds pretty reasonable. But... if that's the case, why are they so ****ing expensive?

KABOOM!

Look, there is no resolution to this, it's an elliptical argument that looks like two different circles depending on which angle you're looking at it from.

That sounds pretty reasonable. But... if that's the case, why are they so ****ing expensive?

KABOOM!

Look, there is no resolution to this, it's an elliptical argument that looks like two different circles depending on which angle you're looking at it from.

They are so expensive because they are selling, being bought by these new customers. Most of them are not worth €60 for me personally but for new customers it's a good deal. They are not meant for the likes of you or I.

They have facilitated the success of the Switch. I don't think it's a grand equation that needs a solution. You don't like them, don't buy them. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

The idea that because people will pay it the price is fair, oh dear God where do I begin.... Would there be a point?

Again, I come back to gamers as an over entitled and overly demanding demographic.

If we are talking about the price of food, energy, healthcare, housing or taxes then sure you have made a fine point and I have to agree.

Video games though? Is there any great need for anyone to own this game or that game?

The price is fair because if you are willing to pay that price for the product then off you go and enjoy your product.

If you don't want to pay, then you don't play.

I don't think Nintendo sets their prices based on arbitrary criteria, right? I mean they must have some idea of the relationship between the price tag and the number of units sold.

If they are offering Mario Kart 8 at 60 euro then I can take it or leave it. It's entirely up to me. I can protest "no way Nintendo this should only be 30 euro". It's 60 though.

I don't see where the sense of unfairness comes in here? Neither my survival nor my happiness are dependent on owning the product.

Are they denying me something I am entitled to by setting the price at a level I cannot afford?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Haha. You aren't entitled to have all of their resources focused on what you want.

I want Wii U ports on Switch and I am willing to pay for them.

I'm not a fairweather customer. By putting resources into ports they are giving a customer who has given them 1,000s of Euros over the years what they want.

There must surely be others like me.

Hey, if the sales on these ports are bad and Nintendo decides to stop doing them then I will have no problem accepting that.

It's just a weird way of looking at it for me. Like people feel the company owes them something.

They owe me as much as they owe you and I want my Wii U ports. :P

Nintendo needs to stop wasting resources on Labo or Amiibo or ports and needs to stop with the "gimmick" consoles because that's not what I personally want? That's silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Look, it's not that I don't see your point.
    I just think you're deliberately arguing it from the most confrontational angle you can. So I can't help but roll my eyes, and at this stage I'm doing a pretty convincing Undertaker impression.

There's a general movement now across platforms to reduce production costs by taking existing properties and jazzing them up a little for a new platform rather than producing new content based on old experiences or innovating. And its starting to swallow the market because people lap up things that are familiar and things that are shiney.

It's the opposite to the way movies and music work, btw, but that's a digression to far for phone typing.

Anyway, "lots of people are buying it" is simply no measure of the quality of a decision of any kind. Even one made specifically to sell things to people.

are we entitled to expect new content on a new console? Yes we bloody well should be.

Are we entitled to expect innovation from Nintendo? At this stage, yes I think we are and if you disagree I hope to find you have made a grave error buying a switch.

Are we entitled to have some sort of crossover to reflect customer loyalty shown during the WiiU era? Course not, but you have to admit it would have been nice. More importantly, every WiiU port makes the VC seem a little more distant and irrelevant for future generations of hardware which is a little saddening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

The ports are filling a gap while new titles are being developed. It's been super convenient (along with all the Indies and neo Geo stuff) to Nintendo and going by sales alot of customers are happy too. Switch is barely a year old. Phenomenal amount of releases already, including two of the highest rated ever. One thing I've been super impressed with is Nintendo's strategizing. It's been absolutely spot on. So I fully expect them to realize there's a window for these ports. That window I would say is roughly the first two years of the Switch. Helps increase the user base which is in turn helping convince 3rd parties to make the move. This has been absolutely necessary as many 3rd parties needed this convincing after the poor show of Wii U. Ports will fade away and new 1st and 3rd party titles will take their place as the Switch life cycle moves on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

It's money paid by customers, which will further fund future development. If it's sales, it's not a waste of resources. Just because you don't want it doesn't make it a waste. Would it be a waste if the next CoD or FIFA were announced as exclusive to the switch? By the logic above, I would say yes, as they don't interest me. But they obviously wouldn't be. What is a waste of resources is the self entitlement that expects a company not to try to sell their popular titles to a new larger audience.

I see this the same as upgrading from a dvd copy of a beloved movie to a blu-ray copy. It's improved, and I get to buy them and enjoy them again, should I choose. And if I choose not to, then fair enough. But its hardly a waste of resources.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fairweather consumers are the bulk of people who are going to buy a Switch.
    They won't give a monkeys about legacy, history, classics or any of that good stuff that informs most people who use this forum.
    The most recent Mario they might have played is one on the DS, or 3DS, they can't remember, it had Mario in it though, they can't even remember the name of it.
    But they bought it, and probably spent a fortune on their DS or whatever it was, they still can't remember.
    And they are going to do it again with the Switch, same as they did on the PS3 and the 360 and the PS4.
    They'll buy the games that their mates say are great, so that'll be BotW and MO for definite, and they'll maybe get Doom if they didn't have it before and certainly Mario Kart 8 Dx and Splatoon 2.
    They'll spend lots and lots of money, and where there's money, there'll be EA, Activision and Ubisoft, looking to exploit the market.
    And the great thing is, we'll benefit too!
    Yes, there'll be games we wouldn't buy in a fit, but there'll be CoD and who knows what else.

Buckle up Switch owners, it's going to be an interesting couple of years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

This "fairweather consumers" thing is mind breakingly daft. Consumer electronics companies aren't like football teams or a religion that somehow deserves loyalty. They make things and sell things in order to make money for themselves and their shareholders.

There's no onus on anyone to buy anything from Nintendo just because it has their logo on it and if, as with the Wii U, they make a poor product that people don't want, then people aren't going to buy it.

I honestly thought this blind loyalty/console wars nonsense died out in the 90s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sorry but I'm a self described Ninty fanboy.
    And I'm pretty proud of it!
    I still have everything else you've heard of and more you haven't but I still am drawn to Nintendo above all others!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

Picked up Doom there the other day in the sale (39.99). Just in case anyone else is interested I can confirm it plays absolutely magnificently. It feels smooth as hell both on handheld and docked. 30 fps seems ok (haven't been playing modern fps's though) to me.

It's just an old school game that's great fun. I think it looks brilliant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah it's brilliant. :)

Without giving a certain poster ammo, I don't enjoy the Joycon with Doom at all, think I'll have to invest in a Pro Controller.
    It's probably because I played it through on the PS4 first, my muscle memory is assuming I'm still using a Dualshock 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭SK1979

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Without giving a certain poster ammo, I don't enjoy the Joycon with Doom at all, think I'll have to invest in a Pro Controller.
    It's probably because I played it through on the PS4 first, my muscle memory is assuming I'm still using a Dualshock 4.

To be fair I have played it more docked with the pro controller so far.

What I'd say about playing it handheld is that the travel on the sticks (of the joy cons) isn't great (directionally) and with Doom it's just so fast you are constantly moving both quickly. Eminently playable though still.

sitting there, with a goofy smile on my face, playing Doom on the go... just brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

8bitdo SNES style controller is excellent and alot cheaper than the pro

manual_man wrote: »
    8bitdo SNES style controller is excellent and alot cheaper than the pro

I have one, too small and the shoulder buttons are awkward, or at least my 8Bitdo FCPro is, that's this one
    s-l300.jpg

Big problem too is that the battery seems not to hold it's charge and there doesn't appear to be anyway to change it.

Edit: Actually, this might help with the battery, seems I'm not turning it off properly
    https://www.reddit.com/r/8bitdo/comments/6gw4t1/is_this_normal_with_regards_to_battery_life/

The SN30 Pro gets great reviews.

8bitdo-sn30-pro-controller-2.jpg

• Advertisement

Can I ask where the second set of triggers are on those joypads?

At the top boss.

8Bitdo-SN30-Pro-Wireless-Bluetooth-Gampad-Controller-with-Joystick-for-Nintendo-Switch-Steam-Windows-Android-macOS.jpg_640x640q90.jpg_.webp

I must pick one of those up, the FCpro is grand but the SNES Pro is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

ICONOCLASTS DEV SAYS RELEASING ON SWITCH WOULD BE FUN, BUT DOESN'T CONFIRM ANYTHING

https://gonintendo.com/stories/305501-iconoclasts-dev-says-releasing-on-switch-would-be-fun-but-doesn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Battle Chasers: Nightwar will finally be released soon it seems

https://twitter.com/JoeMadx/status/978488146852802560

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Disney PIXAR: LEGO The Incredibles Announcement Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWMPW4X3bQs
    Inspired by both films, LEGO® The Incredibles allows players to tackle crime as the super-powered Parr Family. You’ll get to explore action-packed story levels and an epic hub world, including Municiberg and New Urbem, as you use your unique super abilities to bring the city’s villains to justice. You can assemble incredible LEGO builds either on your own or team up with family and friends in two-player co-op mode for twice the fun.

It releases in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Level-5 will be releasing all their main titles on the Switch going forward according to Akihiro Hino.
    Asked how the company plans to support Switch in the future, Hino responded, “Basically, in the future our main titles will all be released on Nintendo Switch. The idea is that what we have created for 3DS will move over to Switch.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Xenji wrote: »
    Level-5 will be releasing all their main titles on the Switch going forward according to Akihiro Hino.

Cool. I hope we get a Ni No Kuni game. I played a few hours of Wrath of the White Witch a few years ago and really liked it.

Thimbleweed Park is available for pre-order now on Limited Run Games. The big box is now sold out but will become available again later today. Standard games still available.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/games

I preordered the standard myself. Not sure the contents in the big box version are worth the premium to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Thimbleweed Park is available for pre-order now on Limited Run Games. The big box is now sold out but will become available again later today. Standard games still available.

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/games

I preordered the standard myself. Not sure the contents in the big box version are worth the premium to be honest.

I was going to, but at 50$, it's a bit much for a game that's been as low as 15. Sure, it's nice having it on the cart, but that 'tax', I'll pass.

Advertisement