Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wattle fence materials

Options
  • 15-01-2017 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I would love to build a wattle fence around my fairly small veg patch (4 beds 2m*1m), the old plastic mesh jobby is looking battered

It is proving impossible to source the materials, does anyone out there have any idea where I might get a bunch of willow,hazel (any type) of rods to get my project underway.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

whelzer wrote: »
    Guys,

I would love to build a wattle fence around my fairly small veg patch (4 beds 2m*1m), the old plastic mesh jobby is looking battered

It is proving impossible to source the materials, does anyone out there have any idea where I might get a bunch of willow,hazel (any type) of rods to get my project underway.

Thanks

Impossible?

First ad that came up when I typed willow into adverts

http://www.adverts.ie/7379336

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

listermint wrote: »
    Impossible?

They're 1 foot long, you'd want some amount of uprights and patience to make a 6m fence out of them. I've often thought of collecting hawthorne whips -the kind that grow up after the hedge has been topped and using them but haven't got around to it. I might do it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

currants wrote: »
    They're 1 foot long, you'd want some amount of uprights and patience to make a 6m fence out of them. I've often thought of collecting hawthorne whips -the kind that grow up after the hedge has been topped and using them but haven't got around to it. I might do it this year.

The ones advertised are 1 foot. I'm assuming if you contact the seller and ask for longer cuts for fences....
    He does advertise fences so therefore natural to assume longer cuts are available

• Registered Users Posts: 21,011 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

currants wrote: »

If you are prepared to wait for a year they will be 10 feet high, like it says in the ad.

Each cutting about 1 foot long.
    Ready to plant.
    Willows are easy to grow in any condition.
    They will grow about 10 feet/year.

You could plant them round the veg patch and form a living fence. Or harvest them to get your materials for a conventional fence. Either way you will be able to take more cuttings if you need them.

http://www.howtogarden.ie/garden-screening-with-a-living-willow-hedge/

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

listermint wrote: »
    Impossible?

Yes impossible until you searched Adverts...

Good shout. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Knowall Macduff

where are you and what size rods are you looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

Sorted!

Posts at 50cms, actual wattling was easy enough. After a couple of false starts on the long run, we (me and my 12 year old), decided to break it into 2.5m "panels", hence the double posts, worked out grand ("we could do this as a business dad" was the quote of the day!)

wattle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Is it too late to plant these now, (mid-March)?

Advertisement