Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green grocers / good vegetable shop

• 15-01-2017 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭

As per the title, where's the best place to get fresh vegetables in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

zulutango wrote: »
    As per the title, where's the best place to get fresh vegetables in the city?

Grow your own?

I have a small vegetable plot and the fresh veg from it is 2nd to none.

There is/was a farmer's market type shop on Mulgrave St or head to the market on Saturday mornings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Don't have a garden. Are they still doing those allotments over in Ballynanty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭RINO87

Nice green grocers up the top of Willum St. Right across from centra/tc's bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

phog wrote: »

There is/was a farmer's market type shop on Mulgrave St or head to the market on Saturday mornings

It's moved to Southill recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Eats of Eden get fresh organic vegetables in every Monday and Thursday. Other than that it's the market on a Saturday. As others mentioned Urban Co-op in Southill though thats only open certain days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

If it is organic you are after then its either Urban Co-op in Southill, Eats of Eden or Nature's Hand in the Crescent. Otherwise the place top of William Street or the Milk Market.

Don't have a garden. Are they still doing those allotments over in Ballynanty?

I think there are allotments in Ballynanty & Dooradoyle

Exeggcute wrote:
    If it is organic you are after then its either Urban Co-op in Southill, Eats of Eden or Nature's Hand in the Crescent. Otherwise the place top of William Street or the Milk Market.

Is the milk market produce not organic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I head out to Limerick Fruit and Veg, Theres a little shop next to the warehouse there. really good value and when its strawberry season they don't disappoint

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Limerick+Fruit+Suppliers+Limited/@52.666081,-8.6089415,17.75z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1slimerick+fruit+and+veg!3m4!1s0x485b5c15041a2cc7:0x934aec5af89f3c92!8m2!3d52.6666984!4d-8.6072236

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

zulutango wrote:

I may stand corrected but I'm pretty sure the larger fruit and veg stalls in the Market are not organic. There are some smaller stands selling organic vegetables though.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Some great suggestions there.

Just wondering what the difference is between organic and non-organic now? One is laced with chemicals and the other not? Is there a certifying system or anything to show that the produce is organic (whatever that means)?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Iang87 wrote: »
    I head out to Limerick Fruit and Veg, Theres a little shop next to the warehouse there. really good value and when its strawberry season they don't disappoint

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Limerick+Fruit+Suppliers+Limited/@52.666081,-8.6089415,17.75z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1slimerick+fruit+and+veg!3m4!1s0x485b5c15041a2cc7:0x934aec5af89f3c92!8m2!3d52.6666984!4d-8.6072236

+1 on this. The lads are great to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

In general, no. There are smaller stalls though such as The Green Apron (I think that's the name) that are organic though.

Organic veg is free from pesticides, herbacides etc that other crops are exposed to. In some cases heavily so.

The taste from organic is noticeable, though it does depend on the fruit or veg in question too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Richardsons Foods

Address: Unit 2d, Eastway Business Park, Ballysimon, Limerick
    Phone: (061) 294 552
    Hours: Open today · 8a.m.–11p.m.

Just down from the NCT centre where Auto Xchange used to be at one time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

I get my fruit and veg from Pick Of The Crop, Kileely Road, Thomondgate.

They do their best to source as much produce from local farms, suppliers etc.

lockman wrote: »
    I get my fruit and veg from Pick Of The Crop, Kileely Road, Thomondgate.

They do their best to source as much produce from local farms, suppliers etc.

I get stuff there too, he does some nice fruit cakes and tarts too.

Advertisement