Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Masters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

learn_more wrote: »
    It's debatable if there was anything to repair though, that's the point. Not playing well doesn't constitute broken. If it turns out that either the ref or Ronnie acted improperly then Macro Foo would would have a right to feel a bit peeved.

Sounded from the interview that it was worn down and sounded like slate according to Ronnie if that was the case he should have replaced it before the match if that was the case! Hopefully we get some clarification on this later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Ronnie said the tip wasn't taking chalk and he was miscueing all over the place, so that sounds like a banjaxed tip to me that needed replacing.

Considering how long it takes a normal human to break in a tip, I don't see how it could have been much of an advantage to Ronnie at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I listened to both post-match interviews and yes he was not happy with the state of the tip so he put a new one.
    Nothing wrong there.

Anyone here the Eurosport post match interview aparantly Ronnie said the ref terry camilleri made to many mistakes and wasn't fit to ref the semis! Did he say that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Lavinia

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I think they should all consult you Permabear :p
    Shame they didnt!
    btw you purposely twisted my post by omitting the word 'state' of the tip - he was not unhappy for nothing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Anyone here the Eurosport post match interview aparantly Ronnie said the ref terry camilleri made to many mistakes and wasn't fit to ref the semis! Did he say that?

Don't know but When Ronnie called out to the photographer to stop moving the ref didn't seem to notice or back him up. I though I noticed the ref looking away when Ronnie was taking a shot at one stage. Not sure if I imagined it. It would explain a few things re the tip issue if he's not quite up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

What a shot by Joe Perry to escape that nearly impossible snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

I wonder if Jan,(the ref) didn't put the white back exactly where it was,coz Joe never looked 4 an angle the 1st time

I wonder if Jan,(the ref) didn't put the white back exactly where it was,coz Joe never looked 4 an angle the 1st time

Good point, another possibility is that after the first attempt from the jaws went all over the place, Joe thought f*ck that, and tried the angles instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

True,the 1st attempt was a real hit & hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭tanko

Virgo and Doherty, pure joke of a commentary team. Hawkins was already in the final a few minutes ago according to them even though he needed only one snooker.
    Virgo must want to see Match of the Day.

Great comeback on that frame by Joe

tanko wrote: »
    Virgo and Doherty, pure joke of a commentary team. Hawkins was already in the final a few minutes ago according to them even though he needed only one snooker.
    Virgo must want to see Match of the Day.

That's more Virgo than Doherty. Ken is a decent enough commentator. He's been there at that level and knows the shots a lot better than Virgo. Virgo is a terrible commentator IMO. His constant "where's the cue ball going". would drive you mad.

I actually really like Willie Thorne as a commentator. He's not great at commentating on the long or safety game (same as how he played), but when the player gets in amongst the balls, his insight is second to none.

So lads which of these would give Ronnie the harder final tomorrow? I somehow think Barry would having experienced the final last year. I hope it's a close match

Neither have a hope against Ronnie, unless the new tip doesn't take. But even then, I'd still fancy Ronnie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think its the boring old cliche in that O'Sullivan's biggest opponent is himself. I dont trust him not to throw a wobbly at any stage anymore but think he'd need to be seriously under par, like the time hawkins did him at the worlds, to be unduly troubled tomorrow.

I think those ultra crazy days are a thing of the past with Ronnie. He seems a lot more stable now.

This is mad stuff, Hawkins must be sick.

• Advertisement

Some great pressure pots from Perry in this 10th frame. Incredible break to force a decider

bajer101 wrote: »
    I think those ultra crazy days are a thing of the past with Ronnie. He seems a lot more stable now.

You're right about that, probably the Steve Peters influence. What i'd question, though, is more his appetite for the long, grinding encounters though he showed a fair bit of resilience against Fu today. That depends on getting him out of his comfort zone, applying pressure, and finding it difficult to see either of these managing it to any great extent tomorrow.

Is that feckin child not fed up waving yet?

I'm up for Joe now after this comeback. The only thing is, I reckon he would throw in the towel very early against Ronnie.

I understand there's pressure, but both of them have missed pots by 3-4 inches in this frame now, thats unforgiveable at this level

Perry has been very poor in this frame. Looking good for Hawkins.

Joe looked good when he was facing the point of no return and had nothing to lose, then suddenly he realises he's one frame from his first appearance in a major final and its squeaky bum time!

I understand there's pressure, but both of them have missed pots by 3-4 inches in this frame now, thats unforgiveable at this level

Yep. I think Perry's bad form in the middle section dragged Hawkins down. Then Joe got a bit lucky and capitalised and upped his game a bit. Very scrappy with some bad misses, but still good viewing.

What a chance for Joe now, it would be some clearance from here. The Brown could decide it.

• Advertisement

What a pot, some balls. I can't imagine what Hawkins is thinking.

Advertisement