Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike question

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

twinsen wrote: »
    Hi All

i am looking to get a new machine since the frame on my cube bike cracked after 5 years and cube refused to fix it under warranty.
    So my question is what bike to get. I am looking at two models:

http://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/performance-road/%C3%A9monda-alr/%C3%A9monda-alr-4/p/1424000-2017/
    at 1350e

and
    https://www.cube.eu/uk/2017/road-triathlon/attain/cube-attain-sl-blacknyellow-2017/
    at 1100e

So my question is really should I go for Trek with lifetime frame warranty and Tiagra groupset, or again go for cheaper Cube bike but only 5 years frame warranty and 105 groupset.

I already have trek 7.5 for past 7 years, and it is indestructible with 28000km done, so I am leaning towards Trek, but then again, I tried a bike with 105 groupset and I loved it...
    Was looking at canyon, but they offer only 2 years frame warranty. Other brands seems to be even more expensive.

Any advise welcome.

You're seriously looking at another cube after that? They must love you!
    Dont cube have a rep for using lower standard carbon for their frames?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I've just bought a 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 4 (only difference I can see against the 2017 you're considering is a different, but identical-looking saddle).

I considered a 2016 ALR 5 (same frame series & wheels, but has 105 groupset), but apart from the shop not having my size, it was a couple of hundred more €, and reviews of 105 vs. Tiagra implied that there wasn't much difference unless you were riding seriously/worrying about every gram, which I'm not (yet ;)).

However, the price differences between the ALR 4 & 5 mean that it surprises me that the Cube you're considering is only €1100, but comes with 105 - it strikes me that, unless you're getting a very special price, Cube must be saving the money somewhere (frame, wheels?).

Based on that, I'd go with the Trek, but others with more experience/info may know better...

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

terrydel wrote: »
    You're seriously looking at another cube after that? They must love you!
    Dont cube have a rep for using lower standard carbon for their frames?

Yeah, it's is more to do with what I can afford, and what I cant :)
    Frame was aluminim, and cracked just beside rear derailer.
    395959.jpg
    ted1 wrote: »

It is 2011, bike was two months of the warranty.
    Type 17 wrote: »
    I've just bought a 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 4 (only difference I can see against the 2017 you're considering is a different, but identical-looking saddle).

I considered a 2016 ALR 5 (same frame series & wheels, but has 105 groupset), but apart from the shop not having my size, it was a couple of hundred more €, and reviews of 105 vs. Tiagra implied that there wasn't much difference unless you were riding seriously/worrying about every gram, which I'm not (yet wink.png).

However, the price differences between the ALR 4 & 5 mean that it surprises me that the Cube you're considering is only €1100, but comes with 105 - it strikes me that, unless you're getting a very special price, Cube must be saving the money somewhere (frame, wheels?).

Based on that, I'd go with the Trek, but others with more experience/info may know better...

Sorry my mistake, Cube cost 1300 with shimano 105, trek comes with tiagra for similar price.

I might go with the trek I guess then, since the weight diferrence make not diferrence really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

I'd chance get that welded , as another failure wouldn't be catastrophic .

http://www.motoengineering.com/

Welcome to Moto Engineering. You have found a very rare thing in Dublin; an aluminum welding shop. But not only that, we are the only welding shop that will also remove, weld and refit motorbike parts. All carried ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Frame was aluminim, and cracked just beside rear derailer.
    395959.jpg

It is 2011, bike was two months out of the warranty.

Assuming that Cube told you that they wouldn't replace that frame when it is only 2 months past a 72-month warranty(!), I'd be going for the Trek...
    Sorry my mistake, Cube cost 1300 with shimano 105, trek comes with tiagra for similar price.

I might go with the trek I guess then, since the weight difference make not difference really.

Ok, those prices make more sense, but I'd still go Trek for the warranty reason, and the Tiagra shifts very well, IMO. I did test-ride the (too small) ALR 5 (105) against the ALR 4 (Tiagra) that I did buy, and the operation was virtually identical - the differences are in the extra sprocket and the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭twinsen

Bigus wrote: »
    I'd chance get that welded , as another failure wouldn't be catastrophic .

http://www.motoengineering.com/

Welcome to Moto Engineering. You have found a very rare thing in Dublin; an aluminum welding shop. But not only that, we are the only welding shop that will also remove, weld and refit motorbike parts. All carried ...

Few guys suggested welding, but I am quite often in Wicklow mountains, and I am not sure if I would trust it. I might just do that, and keep the bike for occasional rides, but cycle to work scheme is calling :)

Advertisement