Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to install a socket ?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

I have a single socket at home with a black , red and an earth just hanging there. How much would an electrican charge to put a double socket in there ?

I tried myself but the wire are too short for the double socket and there's no play in them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I have a single socket at home with a black , red and an earth just hanging there. How much would an electrican charge to put a double socket in there ?

I tried myself but the wire are too short for the double socket and there's no play in them
    Would one of these do the job?
    http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271438827085?_mwBanner=1

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think there is also the issue that the socket isnt secured to anything.
    There is also a more elegant solution that looks like a double socket.

IMG_0021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

rottie 11 wrote: »
    I have a single socket at home with a black , red and an earth just hanging there.
    Your wiring is obviously very old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

It's the only socket in the room that's why I wanted to change it. The wiring would be pretty old alrite, is there any way I can exttend the wires an inch ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

rottie 11 wrote:
    It's the only socket in the room that's why I wanted to change it. The wiring would be pretty old alrite, is there any way I can exttend the wires an inch ?

Only one single socket in the room, I'm guessing that the house is from the 60s?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Only one single socket in the room, I'm guessing that the house is from the 60s?

Maybe it's an old council house, what's the best plan of action here ? Spose I should leave it to a prefessional

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

rottie 11 wrote:
    Maybe it's an old council house, what's the best plan of action here ? Spose I should leave it to a prefessional

Definitely get in an electrician. Apart from him doing the socket safely he can advise you on the general safety of the wiring in the house

Advertisement