Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get my ethernet sockets around my house working

Options
  • 15-01-2017 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get an ethernet socket in my bedroom to work. My bedroom is upstairs and my router is downstairs. I have tried plugging in my laptop to the socket in my bedroom, but I don't get any wired internet access... As if it isn't turn on. I haven't a clue on how to solve this. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciate. (I would send pictures but I can't because I am a new member)

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is this Ethernet already built into the wall or is it a cable running along it?
    have you tried to connect directly to the router with another cable and the wireless off?
    can you see any damage to the Ethernet socket on either end?
    It could be a break in the cable and you may need to test with a cable tester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Cassidy3 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to get an ethernet socket in my bedroom to work. My bedroom is upstairs and my router is downstairs. I have tried plugging in my laptop to the socket in my bedroom, but I don't get any wired internet access... As if it isn't turn on. I haven't a clue on how to solve this. If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciate. (I would send pictures but I can't because I am a new member)

Sorry if this is the wrong section to post this.

is you router at the place where all your Ethernet cables from around the house terminate? Did you plug a cable from the router to the one marked for the bedroom as well as plugging the laptop into the wall in the bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cassidy3

Skerries wrote: »
    is this Ethernet already built into the wall or is it a cable running along it?
    have you tried to connect directly to the router with another cable and the wireless off?
    can you see any damage to the Ethernet socket on either end?
    It could be a break in the cable and you may need to test with a cable tester
    The Ethernet socket was already built into the wall... there's wires in it and I (assume) the cables lead to the something down stairs. Yes I have, there are multiple Ethernet sockets around the house, that's just the one in my room. I tried connecting to other ones and there's no connection either... it's as if I need to turn on all the sockets somehow. So it's not damaged...

heroics wrote: »
    is you router at the place where all your Ethernet cables from around the house terminate? Did you plug a cable from the router to the one marked for the bedroom as well as plugging the laptop into the wall in the bedroom?
    Yes my router is. In the pictures above, my router is right beside the Ethernet system. I don't know which one is my bedroom one, none of them are marked...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Plug them in and try? You cannot turn it off on a switch.

You'll have to find which cable is for which room.

• Advertisement

Is this any way I can show you a picture of the system?

put it up on imgur

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

That's a picture of a router.

It's what supplies you the internet, to put it simply.

For it to work in different rooms, it would have to be wired from that, to the specific room.

Have you any friends who are even remotely techy? Anyone with any sort of knowledge will be able to possibly sort it for you.

It's not something anyone here can sort as we cannot see the !Shout of the house from the pictures of the modem

Try plugging the laptop into the wall. Then go to where the router is and plug a cable into the router. Plug the other end into each of the ports from the rooms until the lights on the router turn on. Then check the laptop.

or as mentioned above if you know anyone techie they should be able to sort it quickly enough.

There is no on or off switch for the networking. For it to work in the bedrooms the other end of the wire in the wall needs to be connected to the router.

http://imgur.com/a/GwEFt

the black cables to the left in the 2nd picture, where do they go as it looks like they should be terminated into that panel at the top?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You have a five port Ethernet switch (it says so on the front) in the lower photo with nothing connected to it, that's your network hub. The ports are underneath, I suspect the port on the right is for the internet connection (i.e. needs to be connected to a port on your router) and the other ports need to be patched (connected) to the room ports, including your bedroom.

Skerries wrote: »
    http://imgur.com/a/GwEFt

the black cables to the left in the 2nd picture, where do they go as it looks like they should be terminated into that panel at the top?
    They just go behind the walls, which lead to sockets, I assume.

coylemj wrote: »
    You have a five port Ethernet switch (it says so on the front) in the lower photo with nothing connected to it, that's your network hub. The ports are underneath, I suspect the port on the right is for the internet connection (i.e. needs to be connected to a port on your router) and the other ports need to be patched (connected) to the room ports, including your bedroom.

But you see, I already have an ethernet socket working downstairs (We got the electrician to set it up for us. Unfortunately, we can't get into contact with him anymore, so we can ask him for other ones). So, why isn't there anything in it for the downstairs one?

But you see, I already have an ethernet socket working downstairs (We got the electrician to set it up for us. Unfortunately, we can't get into contact with him anymore, so we can ask him for other ones). So, why isn't there anything in it for the downstairs one?

Is there a connection (ethernet cable) running from one of the ports on the router to a socket on the wall and is the 'working' socket a different one?

You could have two of the wall sockets coupled together using a 'joiner', one of these .....

$_35.JPG

We can't see the ends of those cables in the second photo, by any chance are two of them joined up using an adapter as in my picture above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Your working downstairs socket could be cabled directly into the back of the modem/router - can you confirm this?

The 3rd photo looks like a coax socket - what are you trying to do with that?

Would advise getting someone in who has a basic understanding of networking.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I just don't have the knowledge to investigate this, what profession should I contact to try and solve this?

Where are you based?

Do you have any friends that are IT literate? Shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

heroics wrote: »
    Where are you based?

Do you have any friends that are IT literate? Shouldn't be to hard to figure out.

Unfortunately none..

Relatives? You could ask your local PC repair shop to call out and sort it.

The coax port in the 3rd photo is for your TV and not involved in this as far as I can see.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I just don't have the knowledge to investigate this, what profession should I contact to try and solve this?

Hang on, did you see the questions I asked you in post #15, it's the last post on the first page, you don't need any 'knowledge' to answer them, just eyesight....

1. Is there a cable running from the router (the Eircom box in the first photo) to a socket on the wall? There are four Ethernet sockets on that box, is there a cable connecting one of those ports to a nearby wall socket?

2. Is that socket different from the 'working socket' you described earlier and which is downstairs?

If the answer to both questions is 'yes' then it's almost certain that two of the cables in the second photo are joined up with a connector similar to the one in post #15.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately none..

Approx where in country are you and someone might be able to recommend someone. If you have a local IT repair shop they might be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Your working downstairs socket could be cabled directly into the back of the modem/router - can you confirm this?

There's a slide-up socket to the left of the coax output for an RJ45 network connector..

Anybody who has one of these should be able to sort it out in a few minutes....

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-HDE-H11-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B000P1OA1O

As the above post said....whereabouts are you?

exaisle wrote: »

There's a slide-up socket to the left of the coax output for an RJ45 network connector..

Anybody who has one of these should be able to sort it out in a few minutes....

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-HDE-H11-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B000P1OA1O

As the above post said....whereabouts are you?

Ah yes silly me, apologies...didn't look at the photo properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Ah yes silly me, apologies...didn't look at the photo properly.

It was late on a Sunday evening....no worries! :-)

If the OP would tell us where he is, some friendly boardsie might pop over and sort it out for him....

exaisle wrote: »
    It was late on a Sunday evening....no worries! :-)

If the OP would tell us where he is, some friendly boardsie might pop over and sort it out for him....

Sorry for the delay for the response, I was in school.... I'm in The Ward, North county Dublin.

Does anyone know who I should contact about this? I think it's in regards to finding the correct cable, so I guess a data network electrician...? Could anyone suggest one/someone of help? Looking to possibly hire them to come to my house and fix it up if needs be.

Does anyone know who I should contact about this? I think it's in regards to finding the correct cable, so I guess a data network electrician...? Could anyone suggest one/someone of help? Looking to possibly hire them to come to my house and fix it up if needs be.

If you attempt to answer the two simple questions I asked in post 21 above, it would go a hell of a long way to finding a solution. The post number is in the top right corner of each post, at the end of the blue banner.

I would not hire anyone with 'electrician' in his job description, they can wire up network ports and run the cables to a central point in a new build but getting the network to work is a completely different story.

Hang on, did you see the questions I asked you in post #15, it's the last post on the first page, you don't need any 'knowledge' to answer them, just eyesight....

1. Is there a cable running from the router (the Eircom box in the first photo) to a socket on the wall? There are four Ethernet sockets on that box, is there a cable connecting one of those ports to a nearby wall socket?

2. Is that socket different from the 'working socket' you described earlier and which is downstairs?

If the answer to both questions is 'yes' then it's almost certain that two of the cables in the second photo are joined up with a connector similar to the one in post #15.

Not necessarily, there's a few Ethernet cables coming down from the roof. (I have a working Ethernet socked down stairs, and it's cable comes from this location and connects into the box)

If you attempt to answer the two simple questions I asked in post 21 above, it would go a hell of a long way to finding a solution. The post number is in the top right corner of each post, at the end of the blue banner.

I would not hire anyone with 'electrician' in his job description, they can wire up network ports and run the cables to a central point in a new build but getting the network to work is a completely different story.

https://m.imgur.com/j3Kezdp,HBTTFro,amwyMqd

Pic 1 shows the cable that goes to the Ethernet port in pic 3. Pic 2 is just an overview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

You know you can use wireless - Wi-Fi for an internet connection right?

Just in case!

Advertisement