Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to get my ethernet sockets around my house working

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Cassidy3

choons wrote: »
    You know you can use wireless - Wi-Fi for an internet connection right?

Just in case!

Of course, but it isn't as good - I need the wired as my house has concrete walls so the wireless connection is very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Ok OP if it just a case of finding the cable you can do that yourself by trying the following.

1: Turn laptop on and Plug into the wall in the Bedroom
    2: Go to the room with the router. On the Back of it there should be 4 LAN ports (I Think)
    3: Find all the cables with the Network connections on them
    4: 1 at a time plug them into a port on the router and leave for 10-15 seconds. If the light on the port lights up go and check the laptop
    5: If the laptop has connectivity then mark the cable and repeat for all the other network ports in the house until they are all labelled.

If you still can't get it to work I am working in Ballycoolin and have a network tester in the car. I can do you a favour and call in at lunch or on the way home and should only take 5 minutes to find the cable.

Lastly find the electrician that cabled that and flog him with the rest of the cables for leaving it like that :) I thought I was bad at cable management but that's brutal.

Thanks for the reply, I've already tried that with the cables and it didn't work... It's hard to contact our electrician, but we're going to try it again because we don't think any other electrician will be able to find the cables, as you've seen, they're in some tangle :rolleyes:

Thanks for the tip, and thank you very much for the offer of coming over but we'll just have to wait until we get a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Anyone with any technical knowledge will sort that out in 5 minutes. It's not in a tangle, it's just a matter of putting the cables in the proper places. You'll have it connected directly to 1 room at the moment, that's wrong if you want if it other rooms, it should be plugged into the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

In your picture, above the 5port switch, there's a very short ethernet jumper. Does your working ethernet socket stop working if you unplug this?
    Does the switch have any lights showing?
    Can you provide a better pic of the area with the short jumper please?
    DO you mind if the currently working socket stops working, or do you need both that and the bedroom
    Where does the black modem connect to, other than the phone line?
    Ideally it should connect to the switch, and the switch to the lines to the room sockets
    I hope you have at least 2 ethernet patch cables?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Cassidy3 wrote: »
    https://m.imgur.com/j3Kezdp,HBTTFro,amwyMqd

Pic 1 shows the cable that goes to the Ethernet port in pic 3. Pic 2 is just an overview.

Where are the three photos? I can only see one photo in that link. I assume the Eircom router is the black box on the second shelf beside the Sky boxes.

Do you see the box mounted on the wall on the right with the sockets underneath - the one with '10/100 Mbps 5-port Ethernet Switch' on the front ? That's a network hub/switch and that's the key to getting your wall sockets working though as there are four sockets in the Eircom router, a 5-port switch isn't going to add much extra capacity, it will allow you to activate five wall sockets whereas you could patch four straight into the router anyway without a switch.

If one of the black cables coming down from the ceiling is connected into the Eircom router, that is how you have a working network socket downstairs. You could connect three more of those cables to the router (it has four identical sockets for network cables) to get three more sockets working. Try that and see what happens.

1# shows the line from the router to a black adapter. I believe this is for the satellite.
    2# is a picture of the back of the router. The ethernet cable furthest to the left is the one for my desk that currently works.
    3# shows where the black cable goes to on the black adapter in picture 1#.
    4# is that network area.
    5# my router.
    6# shows where all the cables go up to, for example; where my desk cable goes to. They all go up and then I assume go in the direction. Note the cables with no ends, I am unsure what they are for... and how useful they might be.
    7# black adapter up close.
    8# network again.
    9# wire for my desk computer
    10# network again.

NOTE: The network seen in 10, 8 and 4 isn't actually plugged into anything. I don't know why the two little ethernet cables are connected at the top. I don't know if I really need this, because I have wired ethernet with one of my sockets without using this, so why would I need it for another?

I would not mind giving up my desk ethernet for my bedroom ethernet, I want to move so I would allow it to be exchanged.

http://imgur.com/a/vFA8h

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it looks like someone was going to wire everything back to the patch panels (pic 10) and then have patch cables going to the switch box which looks too small as it only has 5 ports

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭jhud

On picture 6 I see some cables high up unterminated (without connector rj45) it seems that the grey cables are your sockets on the walls so you are looking for those with the connector (rj45) to fit your modem so it's possible more work is needed to make them work. See if you can see the grey cables with connector on them. The cable should have cat 5 or cat 5e written on them these are network cables you will need the have connector on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That setup is either a pub or a hotel, there is a UHF (TV aerial) amplifier and distribution box with six outputs, a bucketload of Cat6 ports probably leading to wall sockets and I can see two Sky boxes.

No way is this a private house network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

coylemj wrote: »
    That setup is either a pub or a hotel, there is a UHF (TV aerial) amplifier and distribution box with six outputs, a bucketload of Cat6 ports probably leading to wall sockets and I can see two Sky boxes.

A mad scientist lab maybe? :D

I'd start with removing loose cables and fixing the rest properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Please fire or never use the person whom set this up for you EVER again.

Looking at the image the entire setup is a complete mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You missed the industrial looking power connector (top left) and most likely CCTV system hooked to the PC/monitor

paaCVhG.jpg

Is that relevant? It is a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭golfcaptain

Definitely the work of more than one "engineer" - CCTV DVR, IP cameras, broadband modem, unused switcher, unused (brand new?) router, RF modulator, what looks like a wifi access point, 2x TV with distribution, phone, PoE plugs, electrics incl. septic tank (industrial looking unit someone referred to).

Unusual for such a setup in a domestic context but not completely outlandish. Only the TV distribution with 8 way amp seems odd, unless only half the jacks on it are used. They said it's a house so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

OP, it really is a simple job of identifying what your cables are, then plugging them in the right place. Since you've already a working point there shouldn't be any additional config on the router to do.

Have you been in contact with the guy who works in Ballycoolin? If still need help I can write you a step by step to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

It doesn't look like the Cat6 cables running from the rooms have been run into the white wall-box and punched down (into the black Leviton patch panels using a punchdown tool).
    Once that's done, the Leviton switch needs power connected.

Then one Cat5e / Cat6 patch cable needs to be connected between the Leviton switch and the eFibre modem.
    4 other short patch Cat 5e/Cat6 cables will then go from the Leviton switch to the Leviton patch panels. 1 for each room point.

This will only allow 4 room points to be live & connected, unless you replace the leviton 5 port switch with one with more ports. Or make a mess running the remainder directly from the eFibre box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Cassidy3 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, I've already tried that with the cables and it didn't work... It's hard to contact our electrician, but we're going to try it again because we don't think any other electrician will be able to find the cables, as you've seen, they're in some tangle

A electrician with a cable tracing tool (a cheap thing that any should have, just tell them in advance) will be able to determine which cable is which; if there are no markings on the cables.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CrazyFire-Multifunction-Telephone-Networking-Tools-Yellow/dp/B018NVB9AW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1485099880&sr=8-6&keywords=cable+tracer

The tone generator is plugged into each room point, then the wand waved at the other cable ends. The wand will sound when close to the matching cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭durtybit

make sure they are all punched down at either end, have someone at the switch end, carry a router with you and plug it into each port. should be evident which is which when a light comes on at the switch, or it will let you know what cables are working and connected to where

Advertisement