Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair colour

• 15-01-2017 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭

When should somebody start using colour in their hair. I'm in my mid 30s and don't have any grey hairs yet. But I don't want them showing up either. Is it best I colour my hair before I go grey?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Why do people get so worried about getting grey hair, your not going to get shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mzo1978

The Raptor wrote: »
    When should somebody start using colour in their hair. I'm in my mid 30s and don't have any grey hairs yet. But I don't want them showing up either. Is it best I colour my hair before I go grey?

Not if u are happy with your hair colour there's no point in putting in a colour. I'm late 30s and recently got my first colour to change my actual dark brown hair colour to a reddish colour not to cover greys as I've none I'd stay colour free plus u are saving money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭Allinall

I'd go for the day after tomorrow .

Tuesday is the best day for shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I wouldn't. If you want to try a new color for fun, then sure go for it. But dyeing just to avoid grays before you even have them - no. It's just an extra expense and color isn't great for your hair. Wait until you get a few grays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭The Raptor

jamesbere wrote: »
    Why do people get so worried about getting grey hair, your not going to get shot.

I don't think you understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I don't think you understand.

I don't hence why I asked the question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Why would you start dyeing your hair if you don't have grey hairs? You'll be dyeing it for long enough once you do start going grey so why draw the hassle on you before you need to?

All the above assumes you actually like your current hair colour and the only issue is your fear of grey.

bee06 wrote: »
    Why would you start dyeing your hair if you don't have grey hairs? You'll be dyeing it for long enough once you do start going grey so why draw the hassle on you before you need to?

All the above assumes you actually like your current hair colour and the only issue is your fear of grey.

I want to get the greys before they happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

How can you "get" them if they don't exist?

Schrodinger's grey hairs...

When did coloring your hair become a 'should'? There's no age someone 'should' color their hair.

If you want to color it then do it whatever age you are. If you don't, don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

But your hair will still grow so when you go grey you will still see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

That's not how it works.
    Dye will only dye what you can see now, not any new growth. So a hair thats brown now will stay brown, any greys you might get will be ones that will grow in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

The obvious solution is to colour your hair grey, then when you start to go grey naturally you can stop colouring it.

Dying your hair won't prevent them from going grey. Would it not make more sense to wait until they actually are grey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

I'm early 40's and noticed first grey hairs a couple of years ago. However I only started coulouring my hair about 6 months ago. The few stray grey hairs I had weren't very noticeable so I didnt need colour for ages. If you only get the odd stray one as opposed to your whole head of hair turning grey at once, then I'd hold off as long as possible. Colouring is a pain once you start. I use home colour as couldn't afford the upkeep at a hairdresser.

But your hair will still grow so when you go grey you will still see them.

Oh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Raptor wrote:

Usually you wait for some grey to show up. Then you start with semi permanent colour. This washes out after a few weeks. As you get more and more grey you then move to permanent colour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Is it just me or do lads who dye their hair look like vain arseholes?

I'm greying and it doesn't bother me.
    Mrs Osis would kill me if I reappeared some morning as a stunning brunette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

OP; Why would ye want to cover ye gray hair, when ye could end up looking like This instead? :)

Paulie_zpstlajxgsh.jpg

Mm. No. Yeah. Fair comment :( Er ... Gretian 2000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

You might already have grey hairs. Ninja ones. You can't see them but they're there.

Do dee do doooooooo.

• Advertisement

The problem is most blokes leave it too long between putting the colour in or use the wrong colour. For example there is no such colour as black hair. It's actually very dark brown. Put a black dye in anyone's hair and it looks fake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I wouldn't. If you want to try a new color for fun, then sure go for it. But dyeing just to avoid grays before you even have them - no. It's just an extra expense and color isn't great for your hair. Wait until you get a few grays.

Grey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Grey

I'm American. Gray is the more common spelling over here. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dying your hair won't prevent them from going grey. Would it not make more sense to wait until they actually are grey?

Then it would look completely obvious they've died there hair rather than being proactive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I dye my hair grey, I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

Oh
    Crikey. You're in your mid 30s you say?

Been getting greys (well they are more like white) since I turned 18 (been putting colour in since I was 17) - it's no big deal and it's silly to make a big deal over it when you can't control it. You'll notice it far more than anyone else will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

If my hair was that shade of pink I'd dye it grey too.

Then it would look completely obvious they've died there hair rather than being proactive.

Yes, this is what I want. It would be obvious I'm covering grey if I wait. Now, it wouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

There plenty ways to prevent you hair going grey in the first place.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote:
    There plenty ways to prevent you hair going grey in the first place.

This I've never heard before??

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Until now :)

Sam Kade wrote:
    Until now

Still haven't heard how to prevent going grey though

Same here. I look forward to Sam Kade elaborating - seems very interesting.

Flimpson wrote:
    Same here. I look forward to Sam Kade elaborating - seems very interesting.

I've owned hair salons and barber shops for 30 years so can't wait to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Does Philip Schofield dye his hair I wonder? I love his hair colour, it's fab!

No it wouldn't.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Does Philip Schofield dye his hair I wonder? I love his hair colour, it's fab!

Doubt he does, it looks the real deal. Check out David Byrne from Talking Heads as well.

I'm young enough to be either of their daughters though, I'm just dyeing my hair from it's natural boring mousy brown to something a bit more striking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Lu Tze wrote: »
    The obvious solution is to colour your hair grey, then when you start to go grey naturally you can stop colouring it.

This made me laugh so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I dunno could be the Inner Aryan coming out ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I dunno could be the Inner Aryan coming out ?

I thought grey hair was the inner old person coming out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I don't dye my hair, but the same criticism could be levelled, as this is unfairly, at the idea of blokes trying to feel better about how they look.

"He dyes his hair, or has his eyebrows waxed, or spends money on expensive clothes, or spends 20e on a haircut, or eats healthy food to stay in shape therefore he's an a**hole."

If it gives blokes better self esteem and doesn't hurt anyone, what's the problem?

Btw - caring how you look isn't always being "vain". I'm fairly conscious of how I look but i can assure you that's not vanity, it's because I'm very self critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Haven't you seen Logan's Run?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Does that definitely prevent hair from going grey? What other ways are there?

I thought hair going grey was due to genetics. I'm not sure that can actually be prevented.

Goya wrote:
    I thought hair going grey was due to genetics. I'm not sure that can actually be prevented.

They have identified the gene that causes grey hair. Another decade and they might have a none chemical solution
    Goya wrote:
    Does that definitely prevent hair from going grey? What other ways are there?

It definitely doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I've owned hair salons and barber shops for 30 years so can't wait to hear

https://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2010/10/back-tofuture-delorean-660.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

Isn't she Lady Osis?

Highlights are also an option. That's what I do. The blonde highlights blend in more readily with the greys.

I'd speak to a colourist and get it done professionally to be honest. I knew a guy who used a Grecian Formula type thing and it was very unnatural. It actually aged him because the stark contrast made him seem like an old guy who was trying not to look old, when in fact, he looked distinguished with a little smattering of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Grey haired men may pull it off, if they resemble George Clooney etc but can women do similar?
    I dread turning grey, as much as men dread baldness

tupenny wrote: »
    Grey haired men may pull it off, if they resemble George Clooney etc but can women do similar?
    I dread turning grey, as much as men dread baldness
    I never got a chance to experience the dreading going grey thing as I was just about 18 (I wasn't even finished school!) when I found my first white hair. Ever since then, it's been very gradual. Hair dye is my friend - it's really no biggie. And my hair is/was jet black, so greys are particularly noticeable on it, but only I am the one who actually pays much attention to it.

Salt and pepper doesn't look good, but completely silver grey can look great on a woman - of any age, not just old. Not common naturally though.

Goya wrote:
    I never got a chance to experience the dreading going grey thing as I was just about 18 (I wasn't even finished school!) when I found my first white hair. Ever since then, it's been very gradual. Hair dye is my friend - it's really no biggie. And my hair is/was jet black, so greys are particularly noticeable on it, but only I am the one who actually pays much attention to it.

Grey stand out more o n very dark hair. You can have 5 times more grey on blonde hair and it not being noticed

• Advertisement
Advertisement