Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to return a bed - advice?

Options
  • 15-01-2017 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I bought a new bed a few weeks back from a furniture store in Dublin after trying out the model they had on display in store. I spent a good bit of time trying various beds and speaking to salespeople before buying, so was pretty confident I'd made a good choice. Anyway, when the bed arrived it was much firmer than the one in the store, and the foam on top is excessively warm to sleep on despite being advertised as a special "cool foam" type of thing that ensures a cool night's sleep. I simply can't get a decent night's sleep on it despite trying half a dozen times, and so feel I should be able to exchange it for something more suitable as its basically not what I thought I was buying.

When I called the salesperson, he told me the store had a no return policy on beds and there was no way they could take it back. He did offer to send a rep from the company that made the bed out to check it out and make sure there was nothing technically wrong with it, but I've a feeling this person will just show up, look at the bed and say its fine.

If this is the store's policy do I have any rights here? I'm not looking for a refund, only to replace the bed with a different model. As I say I don't feel like the bed that was delivered to me matched the one I tried in store or matched the advertised description. Any advice much appreciated :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Change of mind; you have no rights short of there being something technical wrong with the bed basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Well sleeping in a bed and trying it in a store are very different things and you couldn't really expect the exact same experience.

Let the person come and check it for technical issues but if there isn't any I can't imagine what right you'd have to exchange it just because you don't like it. It's fit for the purpose it was sold for as a bed.
    Maybe use a lighter duvet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

If its memory foam it will get very hot.

I cannt see the shop taking it back, they can't re sell a mattress that has been used to someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Denny_Crane

As a practical solution you might try selling it on explaining the situation. Sucks OP sorry.

Edit: Or getting a topper for it, that might help. Some sellers do a satisfaction guarantee so look for one that offers that piece of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

As a practical solution you might try selling it on explaining the situation. Sucks OP sorry.

That's no solution, as it has to involve quite a markdown on the price paid.

OP, let them look at the bed just in case but it does look as though this will fall under 'change of mind'.

• Advertisement

That's no solution, as it has to involve quite a markdown on the price paid.

OP, let them look at the bed just in case but it does look as though this will fall under 'change of mind'.

Indeed, so zero help there and simply echoing what's been said above. Well done that man.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Denny_Crane - if you have a problem with a post, please use Report Post to bring it to the attention of the mods. Otherwise, leave the moderating to the mods.

dudara

Apologies.

Is it a bed or a mattress that you aren't happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Well sleeping in a bed and trying it in a store are very different things and you couldn't really expect the exact same experience.

When we got our first home we went to a furniture store for a bed and couch. We tested both and made our purchases. Within a few days of these being in our home we realized the difference between a 2 minutes test in the shop and having to live with uncomfortable furniture. We had to put up with them for 6 years before we could afford to replace them. It's a mistake you'll only ever make once. :)

• Advertisement

Op has only slept on the bed for six nights, not six years, don't depress him altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Edit: Or getting a topper for it, that might help. Some sellers do a satisfaction guarantee so look for one that offers that piece of mind.

This could work. Some toppers are very comfortable and may provide a barrier between you and the memory foam

• Registered Users Posts: 16 figure8

Thanks for the replies everyone. Its not a change of mind as I would be perfectly happy with the bed if it was similar to one I tried in store, but the one that was delivered to me feels way firmer. My take is that the product I ordered isn't the product I received, which I thought would give me some come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

It takes time to get used to a new mattress and to break it in. I used to sell mattresses and we had a good returns policy if the mattress wasn't right for the customer but insisted that it gets slept on for thirty nights before we exchange it. If you end up stuck with the mattress it may not be so bad as the mattress gets broken in and you get used to it. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

figure8 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Its not a change of mind as I would be perfectly happy with the bed if it was similar to one I tried in store, but the one that was delivered to me feels way firmer. My take is that the product I ordered isn't the product I received, which I thought would give me some come back?

The mattress in the store would have been tested by many people and been softer by use the same way any mattress will get softer over time. 6 days or so isn't long enough for that to happen as said above.
    Why don't you wait and see if there is a technical issue though?
    If not then it is a change of mind because the mattress is fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

dan1895 wrote: »
    It takes time to get used to a new mattress and to break it in. I used to sell mattresses and we had a good returns policy if the mattress wasn't right for the customer but insisted that it gets slept on for thirty nights before we exchange it. If you end up stuck with the mattress it may not be so bad as the mattress gets broken in and you get used to it. Best of luck.

This +1. I bought a new bed last June. It took a long time to get used to it. It was November when I really got used to it and now I'm having a great sleep on it. I'd also suggest a mattress topper. Can be got in Argos for a reasonable price.

Advertisement