Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Edge 520

Options
  • 15-01-2017 8:58pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Quick one, where is the best place to get a 520 (price and delivery)
    My 500 starting to act the maggot (though it owes me nothing at all and has been cyclocossed, MTB, road raced, sportifed, trained , crashed, soaked and baked to death ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Halfords with the Axa 10%? would probably be one of the lowest. Unless they reduce it again to €166 anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Halfords with the Axa 10%? would probably be one of the lowest. Unless they reduce it again to €166 anytime soon

That's the cheapest, I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

I paid E195.30 in Halfords last week, I checked around and that was the cheapest. There's a 10% off PDF you can download if you search on this site

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

They're 180 GBP on chain reaction at the moment for UK addresses.

How is the 520 for navigation? I have an Edge 25, but I'm going to be cycling a lot of roads I don't know this year and need better navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

nialljf wrote: »

How is the 520 for navigation? I have an Edge 25, but I'm going to be cycling a lot of roads I don't know this year and need better navigation.

You can download street level mapping and add it to the 520 if you are reasonable comfortable with techy stuff. It is as good as google maps.
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

It's not even that techy, I'm no expert and I managed it handy enough.
    Weren't Humphries cycles doing a deal on the 520 recently? Might be no harm ringing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

nialljf wrote: »

Also has the incident alert added with the last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭meisce

Got mine for £175 from Slane Cycles in Belfast last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Also has the incident alert added with the last update.

It's a nice feature too. my only concern is that it assumes we have an excellent mobile phone signal. I'm looking forward to trying it out this summer in Wicklow, where the signal is "patchy" at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

07Lapierre wrote: »
    It's a nice feature too. my only concern is that it assumes we have an excellent mobile phone signal. I'm looking forward to trying it out this summer in Wicklow, where the signal is "patchy" at best.

You must be some form of masochist to be looking forward to trying out what is essentially crash detection! :eek::p:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

cython wrote: »
    You must be some form of masochist to be looking forward to trying out what is essentially crash detection! :eek::p:pac:
    Not in my experience - indeed he usually gives me a very wide berth.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RobFowl wrote: »
    My 500 starting to act the maggot (though it owes me nothing at all and has been cyclocossed, MTB, road raced, sportifed, trained , crashed, soaked and baked to death ;)

I have one. I don't think its great. the inability to use at night (crappy screen with crappy back light) and the horrible buttons means its fairly pants

cython wrote: »

:) eh yeah now that i read my own post again it does sound a bit stupid! .. I dont intend actually crashing. My understanding is if you just stop quickly (switch auto pause off), the system should kick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

tunney wrote: »
    I have one. I don't think its great. the inability to use at night (crappy screen with crappy back light) and the horrible buttons means its fairly pants

I was on a spin yesterday- I said the same thing to one of the guys that got one, I love the bluetooth capability, mainly that I can see who is calling/texting on the screen-very helpful if you are expecting a business call but want to ignore every other call- and the fast upload is a bonus, but the screen at night is crap, also the buttons are tiny, difficult, even without gloves Imo.
    I had the joule gps and it had a sensor for the backlight and the buttons were much bigger and easier to manage.

tunney wrote: »

Sounds like you need one of these.....

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/530536

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

:) eh yeah now that i read my own post again it does sound a bit stupid! .. I dont intend actually crashing. My understanding is if you just stop quickly (switch auto pause off), the system should kick in.

You have to have it connected to your p[hone via wifi or something else though surely. No?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    You have to have it connected to your p[hone via wifi or something else though surely. No?

yes it connect to your phone via bluetooth.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rob

If you want something short term I'll have the odd 500 and/or 510 hanging around (that won't get used, certainly for a while)

Alas no 520 (a bit too flash for me :))

Might even get you one of two KOMs...

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I think the night mode works well, in dimming light anyway. I didn't know it was switched on and on the home leg in the dusk it switched over, worked well I thought.

Luxman wrote: »
    I think the night mode works well, in dimming light anyway. I didn't know it was switched on and on the home leg in the dusk it switched over, worked well I thought.

Thats a good point! maybe some people are not aware that the back light can be switch on and left on? (as opposed to going off after a few seconds). granted that will greatly reduce battery life.

System,Display, Backlight ...switch to "Stay on"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Have to say I'm pretty happy with my 520, a nice Santa present to me from the missus bought by me ....

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

What's the battery life like on the 520 are we talking the same as the 500 or less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

What's the battery life like on the 520 are we talking the same as the 500 or less

Less, considerably so depending on screen brightness etc. Also, because it sync's wirelessly, you are not 'topping' up the battery regularly when uploading etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Any hope of a 520 seeing out the Wicklow 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Thats a good point! maybe some people are not aware that the back light can be switch on and left on? (as opposed to going off after a few seconds). granted that will greatly reduce battery life.

System,Display, Backlight ...switch to "Stay on"

There is also a strange "night" type mode that it goes into for the dark, not sure what that setting is. You can see everything.
    dahat wrote: »

Yep, but you'd probably be safer turning off the Wifi and Bluetooth. You can turn on the BL when you finish and it will do its "thing"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I'm getting roughly 15hrs on my 520, the 500 lasted a bit longer, maybe 18-20hrs. I used to have a Bryton 35 and it used to last 35-40hrs which was 2 to 3 weeks for my level of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm getting roughly 15hrs on my 520, the 500 lasted a bit longer, maybe 18-20hrs. I used to have a Bryton 35 and it used to last 35-40hrs which was 2 to 3 weeks for my level of use.

Ditto on 520 and 500

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

dahat wrote: »

I've seen your average... 8 to 8.5 hours for w200... battery life is a good 15 hours... no problemo. Even if you have a disaster... 10 hours ... loads of battery left for recovery spin on Monday evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

secman wrote: »
    I've seen your average... 8 to 8.5 hours for w200... battery life is a good 15 hours... no problemo. Even if you have a disaster... 10 hours ... loads of battery left for recovery spin on Monday evening :)

Perfect, I wasn't sure but I will be turning off the extras for it, Bluetooth etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RobFowl wrote: »

You could also try ringing Garmin repair/warranty. They offered me a significant discount if I wanted to upgrade rather than repair/replace.

Advertisement