Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling during vaccine schedule?

Options
  • 16-01-2017 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys,

We're looking for some advice. My partner is from Mexico and when our new baby is born we're going to go there for a few months. It's her only chance to do so without quitting her job.

The current vaccine schedule is 2, 4, and 6 months. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about altering the schedule? Or an alternative like getting the vaccine abroad? I know the child vaccine schedule is different everywhere.

We will wait to travel until baby has had the 1st shot. We would like to come back after 4 months away.

Appreciate all your help!

Shevskedd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

Hi! Congrats on your impending arrival!
    Not sure re Mexico, best would be to get your partner's family to check with their family Dr and check if the vaccine schedule is the same.

From experience our son was born in the middle east had his initial jabs there, but had his 2 month ones in Ireland. We travelled home when he was 4 weeks old. We went to my family GP back home and there were no issues.
    Initially we had planned to do his 2 month jabs at 6 wks(apparently provided there are no other issues this is fine), it was suggested by our Dr here, however he was born two weeks late so that was not possible. The schedule is slightly different, so he didn't get the rotovirus vaccine as its not done in Ireland. He cannot catch up on this, but our Dr here has said its not really an issue. I know a friend who went about getting the rotovirus vaccine at home, she got it and it was expensive, but they wouldn't give the follow up vaccine here as what she got back home was different to what she would have gotten here, again she was told it was fine. Since we have been back, our little man has had his 4 and 6 month vaccinations with no issue.

The jabs at home were free, as our son has a pps number. Check the schedule and cost for where you are going, other than that all should be fine, have a great trip.

Advertisement