Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will new Zelda WiiU be monstrously different to Switch version?

• 16-01-2017 8:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

With a somewhat weak launch set of games, I wonder will Zelda breath of the wild be hugely different to play from wiiu to the new console?

Be a shame to spend €400 on a single game with I've a wiiu under the TV.

For me personally, no other launch games interest me.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Apparently not, the Wii U version is no way shoddy or terribly inferior, at least from what I've seen from DF and what not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sure, weren't people wowed by the E3 presentation of the WiiU version, and it won game of show from lots of publications.
    Also, there'll be differences due to the dual screen nature of the WiiU, such as a map/inventory that's always on.
    For some, the WiiU version will represent the true version of the game and the Switch a port, albeit a really nice port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think the Switch looks more vibrant. Remember that the Wii U footage in the video below is from last year so the palette could be closer in the release version.

Zelda also loads quicker on the Switch.

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-rough-wii-u-vs-switch-loading-time-comparison/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,003 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Switch version definitely has much better lighting and better LOD. Also even from that video you can tell performance is much smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

We've had a Nintendo in our home since the launch of the 64. The only time we changed was when different zelda games were launched. It's the only game that gets us to even look at Nintendo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    We've had a Nintendo in our home since the launch of the 64. The only time we changed was when different zelda games were launched. It's the only game that gets us to even look at Nintendo

You're really missing out!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sticker wrote: »

Think you've answered your own question there, you'd be nuts to spend that much just for the sake of a single game. I'm in the same boat, I'll be getting Zelda for the Wii-U, what we saw at E3 is good enough for me. The Wii-U version might also be the harder one to get ala Twilight Princess on the GameCube.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Everyone makes that decision when they invest in a launch machine.
    There's a reason why there exists a thing such as an "Early Adopter"
    They, we, pay a premium to be there at the beginning, to suffer the lack of content, the poorly optimised firmware/UI, and that's been the case for years.
    The number of consoles that were released with decent titles from the get go are few, the bulk arrive with one or two must have titles.
    So that the Switch is launching with a Zelda title is fantastic, of only all consoles would launch with such a great game.

I'm attempting to preorder the Wii U version from Amazon.

Any reason why I'm being charged P&P?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,295 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm attempting to preorder the Wii U version from Amazon.

Any reason why I'm being charged P&P?

You shouldn't be. I wasn't. Is it a Prime listing? Maybe you chose some third party instead.

The Switch version looks better but not hugely better. And I can live with the Wii U version as it'll save me a few hundred Euro. I now don't think I'll be buying the Switch at launch. First time that's happened since ever. I didn't get the NES at launch but every Nintendo console since I did.

• Advertisement

sligeach wrote: »
    You shouldn't be. I wasn't. Is it a Prime listing? Maybe you chose some third party instead.

It shows the usual "sign up to Prime..." but it didn't indicate that it's Prime only.

They add just under £5 at the checkout.

I hope the frame rate has been sorted on the Wii U version, that's probably my only concern. The differences between the 2 versions are listed in the Zelda thread.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    It shows the usual "sign up to Prime..." but it didn't indicate that it's Prime only.

They add just under £5 at the checkout.

I tried putting it in the basket and going to checkout to see was it going to charge me £5 delivery but got the pop-up:

"We're sorry. This item has a limited purchase quantity. We have changed your purchase quantity to the maximum allowable."

Which was 0. You shouldn't pay for delivery. I paid £41 at checkout, it's listed as £40. That's €46. I can live with that though if a Limited Edition comes along I'll probably have to change it.

OK thanks for trying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

If you click/tap "Pre-order this item today", it will give you the option of free delivery. If you click/tap "Pre-order now", it goes straight to checkout and assumes you want to pay for delivery. So click/tap the former for free delivery. ;)

Cheers, I'll try that later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Thanks for all the replies... will stick with the WiiU version then...

Such a shame they didn't put the time into Mario Kart 9 for launch.

Seems a no brainer but they opted for the upgrade of 8.

Poor decision methinks. I might have been persuaded to go with the switch with new Zelda and new MarioKart available at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I don't think there'll be any significant differences in the two.

The videos that people are uploading comparing the two are comparing the wiiu version from eight months ago. I'd say they both look aestheticly the same now. The switch version will definitely run better, looking at the e3 footage from June last year the wiiu version has noticeable frame rate drops that the switch version doesn't. I'd hope there's been some improvements since then.

It was designed for the ground up with the wii u in mind, so I'd assume the game pad plays a role (map, inventory etc) that it won't have on the switch. I've preordered the wii u version anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭jos22

sticker wrote: »
    Hi All.

With a somewhat weak launch set of games, I wonder will Zelda breath of the wild be hugely different to play from wiiu to the new console?

What are your thoughts?

my thoughts too, considering the Wiiu version i have on order from Amazon is currently setting on £35.88 delivered. and there no other game that I want for the switch till Mario comes out in late November unless it gets delayed till sometime in 2018.

jos22 wrote: »
    my thoughts too, considering the Wiiu version i have on order from Amazon is currently setting on £35.88 delivered. and there no other game that I want for the switch till Mario comes out in late November unless it gets delayed till sometime in 2018.

Do you have a link for that one? I can only see one for £40.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭jos22

Do you have a link for that one? I can only see one for £40.

it must have dropped to that price sometime after I had pre ordered it.
    my amazon order is dated 7 February 2015
    back when it was meant to be holiday 2015 release.

sligeach wrote: »
    You shouldn't pay for delivery. I paid £41 at checkout, it's listed as £40. That's €46. I can live with that though if a Limited Edition comes along I'll probably have to change it.
    If you click/tap "Pre-order this item today", it will give you the option of free delivery. If you click/tap "Pre-order now", it goes straight to checkout and assumes you want to pay for delivery. So click/tap the former for free delivery. ;)

Got it working after. :) Amazon didn't like me pre-ordering on the mobile for some reason.

I have my suspicions about the availability of the Wii U version further down the line. Various comments on different sites suggest that people are now looking towards the Wii U for their Nintendo/Zelda fix. I wonder will we see a slight rise in second-hand prices.

jos22 wrote: »
    it must have dropped to that price sometime after I had pre ordered it.
    my amazon order is dated 7 February 2015
    back when it was meant to be holiday 2015 release.

Preordered for over two years? That's crazy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

Yes it will I'm afraid

Advertisement