Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving firearms interstate

Options
  • 16-01-2017 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Gday guys I'm currently living in WA Australia and have the opportunity to move to Ireland I'm wondering if there's any law buffs who would be able to shed some light on bring my rifles over as I haven't found much on the net if you guys have restrictions on calibre for hunting vs target magazine capacities etc
    I have 2x 22lr one pump action one lever 3x12g shotgun 2 are single barrels other is over under 1x270 bolt action 1x22-250 bolt action 1x 338 lapua mag bolt action

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Crocodile Dundee is moving to Ireland. Welcome to Boards.ie.

Saw something somewhere where you had to be a resident in Ireland for 6mts before you applied for a firearms licence. Shipping them here could be your biggest problem.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Marky313 wrote: »
    Gday guys I'm currently living in WA Australia and have the opportunity to move to Ireland
    Welcome to Boards.
    if you guys have restrictions on calibre for hunting vs target magazine capacities etc
    We have three categories of firearms:
    1. Unrestricted
    2. Restricted
    3. Prohibited
    They are, but not limited to:
    • Unrestricted:
      • .22lr pistols (revolver or semi auto)
      • Rimfire bolt action rifles
      • Semi auto rimfire with 10 rounds or fewer in the mag
      • Centrefire bolt action up to 30cal
      • Semi auto shotgun with 3 rounds or fewer capability.
    • Restricted:
      • All semi auto centrefire
      • Bolt action rifle over 30 cal
      • Semi auto Shotgun that holds more than 3
      • Crossbow
    • Prohibited:
      • Centrefire Handgun

So for your firearms:
    I have 2x 22lr one pump action one lever
    Both are unrestricted.
    3x12g shotgun 2 are single barrels other is over under
    All of them are unrestricted.
    1x270 bolt action 1x22-250 bolt action
    Unrestricted.
    1x 338 lapua mag bolt action
    Restricted.

Unrestricted and restricted can be licensed it just has two levels of licensing. The restricted licenses require more "evidence" that the specific firearm is needed above an unrestricted one. You also make your case/application to the Chief Superintendent for the restricted firearms, whereas the unrestricted are applied to the Superintendent.

As for bringing them over with you. You must be a resident for a minimum of 6 months before you can apply. This includes Irish citizens returning home. A non resident firearms licenses would not apply as you intend to stay and that is only for visiting.

One option you have is to move over, have your firearms shipped across and stored in a Registered Firearms Dealer (RFD) or on a range until the 6 months is up at which point you can begin to apply.

To apply for licenses you must meet a number of criteria including land permissions, or range membership or gun club (hunting) membership. Some firearms can only be licensed to a range, most can be licensed via hunting permission on private land or through a gun club. Also for the likes of the .270 you'll need to show good reason for wanting it. This can be range membership or a deer hunting license (free in Ireland).

The .338 LapMag may be a bit of trouble, but completely doable. Getting a hunting license on one might prove difficult and it is because of it's calibre it is a restricted firearm. You might find yourself unable to license it for hunting so you'll need a range membership. The only range certifed for large calibres all the way up to 50bmg is the Midlands in Tullamore, Co. Offaly.

All the above is quick and brief answers. The process for licensing seems daunting but it's really not. There are also security issues. We have minimum standards of security that must be met before you will be issued your licenses. The more licenses/guns you have the higher the security. Also a restricted firearm (the .338) will demand a set level of security from the off that is higher than an unrestricted firearm or even a couple of unrestricted firearms.

Hope this is enough to get you started and if you have more question feel free to ask.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I returned to Ireland 10 years ago from South Australia, shipped a 270 back.
    To be honest is was more trouble than it was worth, between shipping issues , import licences etc I would have been better off selling in Australia and buying here.

Given that reloading is very restricted, and ammo expensive, many second hand guns have very few rounds through them, many less than 500,.

I would sell before you left and use the money to buy something when you got here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I'd almost second what Chiparus said.Unless there is strong sentimental reasons to hold onto them ,I'd flog and start over.
    And you will find us in comparison to Aussie gun law these days ,we are pretty liberal in comparison...!!! [The day I thought I'd EVER say that here in relation to Irish gun laws....!!!:D]

We don't have any of this lever action shotgun nonsense that you have to put up with. Or bans on pump or semi autos rifled or smooth bored. Just three shots and 24 ins barrel length,,but if you can figure out a" Very good reason",you can have it up to whatever mag capacity,and as short as you fancy in a shotgun.Pump rifles,hang a 100 drum on one if you want.
    Semi auto rifles in rim fire no problem,up to ten shots,CF semis ,bit of a debate on them at the moment both here and in the EU,but still liscenseable and straight pull or MARS versions are generally no problem,[bar the odd awkward chief super ].

Silencers likewise not too much of a biggie.RF pistols available with five shot mags only ,and CF as said unless you had before Nov 2008 ,you are outta luck there.:(
    We don't have IPSC like Oz ,but do have airsoft,if you are that way inclined,and reloading ammo like on Aussie standards is a no on.

Mouthy anti gun Greenies are not a problem at all here.In fact the Green party here isnt even worth mentioning or asked about anything important these days.:) Nor are you likely to be bothered out hunting by social justice anti hunting eco warriors.We only have about 40to 50 hard core nutters,and the rest are keyboard warriors and virtue signallars on line.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement