Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorce Process - DIY

• 16-01-2017 9:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering does anyone here have any experience of actually pursuing a divorce by themselves without either actively using a solicitor or without using one of those DIY cheap divorce services?

From research i've done online, I can see the 3 forms necessary to pursue a divorce, but i've no idea how to actually start going about it, and the language in the forms is quite difficult.

Bit of background - this is for my mam. My dad left 9 yrs ago and they're separated but not divorced. She's newly engaged this Christmas and just wants to get it all sorted. My mam and dad have one minor between them but the custody arrangements are all settled (my sister lives with my mam full time and goes to my dad some weekends) and they have no property between them nor do either of them having any money that would need consideration. My dad won't be putting up any kind of a fight. So really i'm looking to do this as quickly and cheaply as possible.

If anyone had any tips that would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

I completed my divorce myself and I found some of the paperwork daunting but what I will say is that the staff in the courts were fantastic, I found them very helpful on what needed to be done next. I'm in Dublin and not sure where you are located.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

Payton wrote: »
    I completed my divorce myself and I found some of the paperwork daunting but what I will say is that the staff in the courts were fantastic, I found them very helpful on what needed to be done next. I'm in Dublin and not sure where you are located.

We're also based in Dublin! Yes, it's a bit daunting to me too as i've seen the 3 necessary forms online but the language is quite difficult and it's not really clear what you need to add to them etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭Payton

What forms are you looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Crunchy Friends

I have Form 2N, 37A and 37B.

I found a good resource online for the extra bits to fill in so I think i'm getting the hang of it. I think I will ring the courts tomorrow and see if someone can run through the process over the phone so I know where to go once completing the forms!

Advertisement