Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cafe type sub-forum

• 16-01-2017 10:33am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I would like to propose a sub-forum of a cafe style with more relaxed rules of posting. The same rules regarding not attacking posters or on-thread discussion of mod directions, but threads allowed much more freedom of expression.

Threads tend to be closed when the discussion gets too hotly contested or goes way off topic or gets too repetitive. Those rules will be applied less often.

What do you think?

It would need approval from Admin - so if you like the idea, post a

+ 1

and it might actually happen. Thank you.
    Post edited by Sam Russell on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

+1.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

+1

Methinks that it might be worth a try Sam, especially if it encourages members to have free running comments, chats, and whatever as a subforum of Infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GVF

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Is a sub-forum really needed for the discussion of Dart underground, Metro north and which Motorway should/shouldn't be built (The projects that drag most things off topic, or get very repetitive discussions)? Its already confusing with 3 forums in use for discussions of rail projects (Commuting & Transport, Train & Rail systems, Infrastructure). I think a better option would be to amalgamate some of these forums/sub-forums into one place, and have some "Cafe threads" instead of a full forum.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ricimaki wrote: »
    Is a sub-forum really needed for the discussion of Dart underground, Metro north and which Motorway should/shouldn't be built (The projects that drag most things off topic, or get very repetitive discussions)? Its already confusing with 3 forums in use for discussions of rail projects (Commuting & Transport, Train & Rail systems, Infrastructure). I think a better option would be to amalgamate some of these forums/sub-forums into one place, and have some "Cafe threads" instead of a full forum.

Well, the problem with that is:

1. You were asked to put a '+1' if you agreed - so technically, you are dragging this thread off topic. It is to avoid having moderator intervention on such 'off topic' skirmishes.

2. It allows much more free form discussion - much like you get in a cafe.

3. It leaves the main forums to be moderated more strictly - particularly for the trolling, attacks on posters and dragging off topic. It will hopefully allow a higher standard of discussion.

4. It should allow a level of fun discussions.

However, your points are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

+1 If it helps with the hobby horse threads/posts it's a good idea

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

+1 If it helps with the hobby horse threads/posts it's a good idea

That would be the desired result. How many times is a hobby horse discussed before it is considered trolling?

B]That is not an invitation to discuss this point.[/B

Please reply with a

+1

If you consider this suggestion worthwhile.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Logue no2

+1 from me, I particularly would like to see threads like the endless Western Rail Corridor thread from C&T shifted here as is really now an ongoing one sided discussion about specific politicians and policy more suited to a cafe style page. If reduces the amount of infractions dished out to those of us who disagree with the thread consensus then all the better. I'll also withdraw my request to shift the WRC thread to a separate sub Forum if approved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Dargan Bridge

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭veryangryman

+1

I like the pie in the sky and mental kinda chats one only gets in bars.

Sort of an AH within Infra!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

+1

Great idea

(C&T could do with this as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

+1 at 30tph..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban