Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Cleanliness Inspection

Options
  • 16-01-2017 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all, I am currently renting an apartment in Dublin 4. Landlord lives abroad and employs a management company to manage things from here. Problem is that the lady who owns the management company is extremely difficult to deal with. A few weeks before Christmas I emailed her asking about the possibility of a new mattress for my bedroom as the current one had not been changed when I moved in and it now has a big dip in it. I was not present when she went to the apartment to inspect the mattress but she emailed me afterwards saying she wasn't happy with the cleanliness of the apartment. She has now emailed me today requesting 'a full inspection' of the property this Thursday. I emailed back to ask what was the reason for the inspection and what it would entail and the response I got was ' I wasn't happy with the house the last day I went in to check the mattress. The house needs a good clean and the carpets a good vacuum'

So my question is, is she legally allowed to inspect the property to see if it is clean enough? Surely everyone's idea of clean is subjective (and by no means is the apartment dirty, its just lived in by three people)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Did you give the management company agent permission to enter your apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

Yes, she has gone into the property before when I wasn't there, but either way the house was clean to my satisfaction when she went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

They can inspect the property.

Im not sure if they can impose a certain level of cleanliness beyond what is reasonably expected from people and not causing damage to the apartment.

Either way, sounds like she is trying to distract you from the original request.

Suggest to her to deal with the original question of the mattress before dealing with the inspection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Did/ does "the house need a good clean and the carpets a good vacuum"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

What did she say about the new mattress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

IMO no...the carpets are only upstairs and vacuumed every week or at most every two weeks. There are some aspects of the house such as the grouting in the bathrooms that possibly could be cleaner but again these things weren't perfectly clean when I moved in. I think the issue here is that I am not sure of her expectations and whether she has the legal right to have those expectations when nothing is actually damaged or broken?

She said before Christmas that she didn't think it needed to be replaced but she would send a picture to the landlord and see what she thought.

Advertisement