Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to wire from 1 domestic pendant to 3 pendants?

Options
  • 16-01-2017 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    I have a bog standard switched light in my backroom.

I plan to take down the 1 old pendant, and have it so there's 3 (new, but same) pendants trapsing down.

I've 1 switch to control the existing light, and plan to have the same switch for all 3 new pendants.

I've taken all precautions and examined in the ceiling i've a red live switched cable and a black neutral cable hanging out (when take off the existing light fitting).

So i guess, i just get 1 connector block and twist all 3 new (soon to be) live wires into the one terminal, screw down. Do the same with the 3 respective neutrals, screw down.
    Then, just put the switched live wire to the back of the connector which has the 3 destination live wires. and the same with the ceiling neutral (put it into the back of the connector block to the 3 neutral destinations) ?

Am i in the ballpark or do i have to do anything else???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Honestly, if you have to ask then you shouldn't try to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi,

I plan to take down the 1 old pendant, and have it so there's 3 (new, but same) pendants trapsing down.

I've 1 switch to control the existing light, and plan to have the same switch for all 3 new pendants.

I've taken all precautions and examined in the ceiling i've a red live switched cable and a black neutral cable hanging out (when take off the existing light fitting).

So i guess, i just get 1 connector block and twist all 3 new (soon to be) live wires into the one terminal, screw down. Do the same with the 3 respective neutrals, screw down.
    Then, just put the switched live wire to the back of the connector which has the 3 destination live wires. and the same with the ceiling neutral (put it into the back of the connector block to the 3 neutral destinations) ?

I would agree with Fred in saying you shouldn't do this job. What you have said is the correct way to do it but since you needed to ask if its the correct way to do then I think you should get someone who knows what they are doing to do the job.
    Also you have not mentioned an earth so does that mean there is no earth at the existing light?
    As you have red and black cable I'm going to assume it's a older house so I would be even more cautious in doing this job if you don't know what you are doing.

Just remember anyone can make a light work but electricians are trained to make them work safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 salleensweets

yeah cheers lads - they're plastic fittings so i assume (there i go again) it'd be ok there - but yeah, i'll hire in an electrician so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

aido79 wrote: »
    Hi,

What you have said is the correct way to do it
    I don't agree. Block connectors in the ceiling is not an appropriate way of doing it, nor is it compliant with the Wiring Rules. There would be risk of electric shock from the unenclosed connectors, and there also would be no strain relief to the connections. In addition there would be no mechanical protection to the cable where the sheath had been stripped off to enable connection. In short it would be poor, non-compliant and unsafe in every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I don't agree. Block connectors in the ceiling is not an appropriate way of doing it, nor is it compliant with the Wiring Rules. There would be risk of electric shock from the unenclosed connectors, and there also would be no strain relief to the connections. In addition there would be no mechanical protection to the cable where the sheath had been stripped off to enable connection. In short it would be poor, non-compliant and unsafe in every respect.

I meant electrically it would be the right way to make it work.
    I told the op that in my opinion he should not do the job as I didn't think he would leave it in a safe condition.
    As a qualified electrician I would not condone doing it in the manner you have suggested which is why I advised the op to employ the services of an electrician.

• Advertisement
Advertisement