Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music/Headphones system on a bike

• 16-01-2017 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭

After reading Lumens thread on exhaust, it got me thinking on getting headphones for the bike. Just wondering what system people use?

I.E. do you use a phone, is the phone mounted or in your pocket and what mount do you use, do you use Bluetooth or wired, do you use earbuds or a built in helmet system?

A few times I've been going somewhere and I needed GPS, so a mount for a phone on the bike would be handy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Scala Packtalk. I found headphones a pain under the helmet. Can intercom, listen to music from your phone, GPS and Radio

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Cienciano wrote: »
    After reading Lumens thread on exhaust, it got me thinking on getting headphones for the bike. Just wondering what system people use?

I.E. do you use a phone, is the phone mounted or in your pocket and what mount do you use, do you use Bluetooth or wired, do you use earbuds or a built in helmet system?

A few times I've been going somewhere and I needed GPS, so a mount for a phone on the bike would be handy.

I've one like this. Cheap and cheerful and does the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Mount-Holder-Case-Bag-for-4-3-GPS-GARMIN-NUVI-/251542956852

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I never listen to music on a bike, but I have the G9 scala rider if I want too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I was ordering standard ear-plugs and noticed these audio-wired earplugs listed.
    I've not used them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Helmet with bluetooth. I usually chuck the phone in my pocket if I'm listening to music and have some control over it with the buttons on the bluetooth helmet device.

But I also have a mount on the handlebars that I can use if I need GPS, and a USB cable wired up to power the phone for long journeys.

I'll use it in conjunction with earplugs as well to protect from wind noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I was ordering standard ear-plugs and noticed these audio-wired earplugs listed.
    I've not used them myself.
    WHAT!!!! HOW CAN THOSE EXIST?

This is what happens every single time I admit to ordering something expensive on boards. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I never listen to music on a bike.

I used to be a whore for wheelies (I haven't done one on my Vstrom since I got it last Feb).

Anyway, on the last bike (R1100s) I listened to Slayer going to work one evening, WRONG THING TO DO!.. I wheelied like a motherfooker the whole journey lol.

I still listen to Slayer.. And I'm missing having a bike I can wheelie without ringing its bollox :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just change the music to JEDWARD, you wont wanna wheelie to them!!!!

HOWEVER,

You might wanna drop straight into the liffey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

So all this talk of ear plugs and sound got me thinking. I have a set of bone Conducting headphones I got as a gift some years back. For jogging and cycling. Decent set but sound wasn't great for the purpose.

However this application of earplugs and a helmet to keep the earpieces pressed to the jaw for conduction seemed like it would work

So put on the earphones then put in plugs and helmet and I have to say quality.

These are mine no longer available but there is a crowd who do retro kits for hats and helmets military style tech

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chilli-Air-Bone-Conduction-Headphones/dp/B005PK5JHE

Here

http://www.maxvirtual.com/

The beauty of plugs for the drums and conduction for the sound.

Quite impressed think il modify mine a bit to velcro in

Like this one

http://www.maxvirtual.com/all-products.html#!/Cynaps-Bluetooth-Self-Install/p/53940134/category=12180222

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Hi,very cheap n cheerfull setup for this that I use on the S1000rr and the R1 too.
    Worked perfect in the monsoon rain up in the Welsh mountains on a few occasions.

Complete cost was under 60 euro.That included a Garmin car satnav with bluetooth,MP3 player and stereo jack off of amazon.
    Will post pics later on.:)

• Advertisement

Philips mini earbud earphones from Argos for 8 euro,set of memory foam earbuds for 1 euro off Ebay,grand job at motorway speeds and then some,clear and precise listening to sat nav instructions and my music too.

No need for overpriced glorified special earphone thingies on ebay.:pac:
    Bendy waterproof satnav case off ebay for 8 euro.
    DIY homemade 12v satnav power lead made up with some bits of wire and an old battery tender lead I had in the garage.

Headphone adaptor jack lead off ebay for 1 euro.
    Battery tender USB connector was 10 euro.
    USB to mini USB lead was 1 euro off Ebay.
    And the Garmin satnav with bluetooth,mp3 player and stereo jack for 30 euro.

Job Done.:D

20160601_153748_zpster5n6mw.jpg

20160819_130841-1-1_zpss1l4xg6g.jpg

20160804_095732_zpsitvrb5yt.jpg

20160804_093810_zpsiep5ewz1.jpg[/QUOTE]

20160726_171139_zpsi8oqszwt.jpg

20160726_181418_zpsifk9ilxi.jpg[/QUOTE]

The waterproof stereo jack lead and SAE power lead are run along the inside of the frame and the stereo jack lead just pokes out where the seat meets the base of the tank.
    Headphones are run under my compression gear and then out under my jacket.
    Plug it into the stereo jack and voila.
    Perfect clean and snug fit and loads of room to move around on the bike.
    Takes all of 1 second to unplug when getting off the bike,and 1 second to plug back in when getting back on the bike.

Mini earbuds stay in place when putting on helmet and taking it off too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Lumen wrote: »
    WHAT!!!! HOW CAN THOSE EXIST?

This is what happens every single time I admit to ordering something expensive on boards. :pac:
    Sorry, I couldn't locate the link to post it on your previous thread. Maybe they're rubbish, he says consolingly.
    Now, if you want to consider expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

The waterproof stereo jack lead and SAE power lead are run along the inside of the frame and the stereo jack lead just pokes out where the seat meets the base of the tank.
    Headphones are run under my compression gear and then out under my jacket.
    Plug it into the stereo jack and voila.
    Perfect clean and snug fit and loads of room to move around on the bike.
    Takes all of 1 second to unplug when getting off the bike,and 1 second to plug back in when getting back on the bike.

Mini earbuds stay in place when putting on helmet and taking it off too.

Looks like a good system you made up and fair dues to you for doing it and not breaking the bank.

However I do disagree with with your comment "No need for overpriced glorified special earphone thingies"

I think for the ease of use and technology gone into some of the products on the market its worth the extra money for some people. (depending on what you want from it)

I have the scala G9 and have a second one for my other half also. No Wires running up the inside of clothes, no extra gear or equipment to put on when going for a spin. Everything is on/on the lid and connects wireless. Some mates have them too and intercom bike to bike works fantastic when on trips ect.
    I can be doing motorway speeds and take a call and people on the other end think I am at home on the couch its so clear.

For me the extra benefits and less hassle connecting up each time make them worth every penny.

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    Looks like a good system you made up and fair dues to you for doing it and not breaking the bank.

However I do disagree with with your comment "No need for overpriced glorified special earphone thingies"

I think for the ease of use and technology gone into some of the products on the market its worth the extra money for some people. (depending on what you want from it)

I have the scala G9 and have a second one for my other half also. No Wires running up the inside of clothes, no extra gear or equipment to put on when going for a spin. Everything is on/on the lid and connects wireless. Some mates have them too and intercom bike to bike works fantastic when on trips ect.
    I can be doing motorway speeds and take a call and people on the other end think I am at home on the couch its so clear.

For me the extra benefits and less hassle connecting up each time make them worth every penny.

I agree with you on that.:)

Have a Sena MH5 here myself,but never bothered with it when touring through Wales and UK.

My point was in reference to those 20 quid headphones with earplugs on them.
    Set of headphones from Argos and correct sized memory foam earbuds off ebay for a euro does the same job,for less than half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I like to hear everything that goes on around me (I'm nosy like that) ......I see idiots on bicycles with headphones on oblivious to surroundings, can't tell if someone has them on with a helmet........not for me anyway

I only tend to use my satnav/mp3 player system for long journeys.

I love the sound of my bikes and their engines,and the popping and banging on downshifts and upshifts.
    But when traveling for 5-6 hours through Wales and the Uk or up to Crossans in Newry,a bit of music is nice to listen to aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Got one of these recently just for background music. Still like to hear what's going on around me. Can't fault it so far. Works well for calls, radio & music. Should fit pretty much any helmet. Cost just over €30. Bargain IMHO

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000M-6-Riders-FM-Motorcycle-Intercom-A2DP-BT-Bluetooth-Wireless-Waterproof-Interphone-Helmet-Headset-Earphone-New/32686994434.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.YxfwTK

Thats not half bad looking for the price,cant really fault it.
    Does it have a stereo jack for normal earbuds/headphones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Gavin wrote: »
    Helmet with bluetooth. I usually chuck the phone in my pocket if I'm listening to music and have some control over it with the buttons on the bluetooth helmet device.

But I also have a mount on the handlebars that I can use if I need GPS, and a USB cable wired up to power the phone for long journeys.

I'll use it in conjunction with earplugs as well to protect from wind noise.

This sounds like the handiest option for me. But I'd rather phone on the handlebars rather than a gps. I had a garmin zumo for years, wired in so it's powered when the ignition is on. But google maps on my phone is much better to use. And music, podcasts and radio is available.
    I would need a decent handlebar mount, could easily be stopped at lights and some skanger could grab the phone. My bike has no screen, the phone would be really obvious and fairly exposed.

• Advertisement

This sounds like the handiest option for me. But I'd rather phone on the handlebars rather than a gps. I had a garmin zumo for years, wired in so it's powered when the ignition is on. But google maps on my phone is much better to use. And music, podcasts and radio is available.
    I would need a decent handlebar mount, could easily be stopped at lights and some skanger could grab the phone. My bike has no screen, the phone would be really obvious and fairly exposed.

And wet... It's Ireland :)

listermint wrote: »
    And wet... It's Ireland :)

The flexi arm waterproof satnav case I got from ebay china for 8 euro and free postage.
    Takes a garmin Nuvi or a large samsung phone.

I mount it onto the mirror/fairing bracket of the R1 and S1000rr,so I can still see my speedo and it also gets a bit of extra protection from the screen.

DSCN4934_zpstvrn9oto.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

This is the one I got. It's not exactly the prettiest thing in the world, but it has a waterproof cover, it has an extra buckle for attaching it to the bike so it won't fall off, or it's not easily yanked off the bike at the lights, and it has a port at the bottom for plugging in a power cable.

I only use it on long distance rides.

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/givi-s956b-gps-universaltasche-iphone-6-or-similar-phones/10012096?list=273322025&filter_article_number=10012096

givi_S956B_sat_nav_holder_M.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Thats not half bad looking for the price,cant really fault it.
    Does it have a stereo jack for normal earbuds/headphones?

Has a stereo jack for connecting non-bluetooth devices to it. Comes with a spiral cable for connecting and the jack has a rubber plug to keep the weather out when not in use.

I used the supplied Velcro pads to attach it to my flip face and it doesn't budge. Makes it easier to remove for charging and cleaning.

So since I sort of kicked this thing off I thought I'd post a short review of the Bose Quietcontrol 30 which I've been using daily for a couple of weeks.

It's an amazing piece of technology. There are two volume controls on the wire which runs down to the loop around your neck, one for volume and one for noise cancelling.

At maximum the noise cancelling is eerie, it basically turns down the volume on the world to a quiet hush. I can be riding at 130kph on the naked bike in a gale, and still hear talk radio at half volume completely clearly.

So they're superficially like really expensive earplugs with superb audio quality.

The nice thing about the noise cancelling is I can turn it up or down. So for my N11/M11 blast I have it at max, and then turn it down to about half when I hit the 80kph section of the N11 and on into town.

There are two major downsides:

1. The earbuds are large, and the helmet pushes them into my head. It's not super comfortable. I might modify the helmet lining to make more space.

2. All the controls are effectively tucked up inside the helmet, so to adjust the volume or noise cancelling or answer a call I have to use my phone (there is a Bose app for the noise cancelling), and the phone lives in my pocket. So I can only really change the volume when I stop at lights.

I reckon a pair of passive noise cancelling earbuds would probably do the same job at a fraction of the price, and maybe this solution only makes sense with a handlebar mounted smartphone.

Lumen wrote: »
    So since I sort of kicked this thing off I thought I'd post a short review of the Bose Quietcomfort 30 which I've been using daily for a couple of weeks.

It's an amazing piece of technology. There are two volume controls on the wire which runs down to the loop around your neck, one for volume and one for noise cancelling.

At maximum the noise cancelling is eerie, it basically turns down the volume on the world to a quiet hush. I can be riding at 130kph on the naked bike in a gale, and still hear talk radio at half volume completely clearly.

So they're superficially like really expensive earplugs with superb audio quality.

The nice thing about the noise cancelling is I can turn it up or down. So for my N11/M11 blast I have it at max, and then turn it down to about half when I hit the 80kph section of the N11 and on into town.

There are two major downsides:

1. The earbuds are large, and the helmet pushes them into my head. It's not super comfortable. I might modify the helmet lining to make more space.

2. All the controls are effectively tucked up inside the helmet, so to adjust the volume or noise cancelling or answer a call I have to use my phone (there is a Bose app for the noise cancelling), and the phone lives in my pocket. So I can only really change the volume when I stop at lights.

I reckon a pair of passive noise cancelling earbuds would probably do the same job at a fraction of the price, and maybe this solution only makes sense with a handlebar mounted smartphone.

Any ability to make a phone call?

Any ability to make a phone call?

It's all bluetooth through the phone. There's a control pad on the wire with a voice activation button which will integrate with Google to do anything I want (e.g. "navigate to Cotters" or whatever), the problem is that the button is tiny and only about 3 inches from the earbud, so it's basically impossible to operate whilst wearing gloves, tucked up against the base of the helmet.

So in practice I have to use the phone touchscreen to take and receive calls.

If I can find a way to activate "ok Google" with the screen off and without touching the phone it'd be grand. :rolleyes:

Oh i though these were cabled to the phone rather than bt

• Advertisement

Oh i though these were cabled to the phone rather than bt
    The Quietcontrol 30 is bluetooth, the Quietcontrol 20 is cabled, but the control box for that one is right next to the headphone jack (see below), which isn't much better than having it next to the earbud.

(actually it may be that there are buttons on that bit where the cables join, I'm no sure)

B00D42A16E_01.jpg

If feels like the ideal Android bluetooth kit really only needs one button, to activate voice control.

With voice control I can say "set volume 100%" or "spotify play ace of spades" or whatever.

Advertisement