Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music/Headphones system on a bike

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

Cienciano wrote: »
    After reading Lumens thread on exhaust, it got me thinking on getting headphones for the bike. Just wondering what system people use?

I.E. do you use a phone, is the phone mounted or in your pocket and what mount do you use, do you use Bluetooth or wired, do you use earbuds or a built in helmet system?

A few times I've been going somewhere and I needed GPS, so a mount for a phone on the bike would be handy.

a BT intercom, has radio but its kinda a crap signal by times so I listen to tunes from the phone through Bluetooth. which is always handy

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Personally, I feel the only way to go is with custom-molded earphones.

Bluetooth headsets, etc., are fine, but they're no good at high speeds, too much wind noise. Which also makes you deaf/gives you tinnitus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

rat_race wrote: »
    Personally, I feel the only way to go is with custom-molded earphones.

Bluetooth headsets, etc., are fine, but they're no good at high speeds, too much wind noise. Which also makes you deaf/gives you tinnitus.

But noise-cancelling bluetooth headsets are good at high speeds.

Here's a 75 dB SPL "pink noise" test results from noise-cancelling headsets:

AT-Bose-Bose-Sony-Phiaton.jpg
    Source: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-noise-cancelling-in-ear-headphones/

You can see that the QC30s reduce the noise level from 75 to 50 in the range 60hz to 18khz. That's a massive decrease. Subjectively, if the earplugs are fitted correctly the background noise at 130kph on a naked bike is low enough to hear talk radio at normal volume.

(I'm not recommending the QC30s unreservedly, they have issues as I've described above, but they do work)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Just bought a set of Sennheiser CX160 earbud headphones in Argos for 20 euro
    Tried them out this morning on the motorway with some cheap ass ebay memory foam earbuds fitted.

Grand job even over the booming exhaust note from the S1000rr and at a "touch more" than motorway speeds.:D

Those headphones are so good,I stopped off and bought a 2nd set in Argos on the way just there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Those headphones are so good,I stopped off and bought a 2nd set in Argos on the way just there.

Any mic?

listermint wrote: »
    Any mic?

Nope.:pac:

But if someone wants me,and its that important,then they can leave a message.:P

Oh and they are 26 euro,not 20 euro.
    They are 20 quid sterling in Argos UK,i got mixed up.:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

This is my setup:

Bought these headphones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002GAXWFW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these double sided sticky pads: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Adhesives-Sealers/White-double-sided-x40mm-square-sticky-fixers/B01AGKRE3E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1485897474&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+double+sided+sticky+pads

Took the back of the headphones (see attached pic). Bit of electrical tape to cover and secure wires on the back of the headphones. Fire on the sticky pads and into the helmet.

Very decent sound off them, hooked up to an old Philips MP3 player. Not a bit uncomfortable either. No bother hearing music at motorway speeds and beyond!

Advertisement