Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a Win 10 Key

Options
  • 16-01-2017 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi there,

Anybody have one or know where to get one w\out costing a lot?

Thanks
    T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

£190 is a lot for something that was free last year. This is for Win 10 Pro.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

You can still get Window 10 for free.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

as Microsoft do not verify if you use 'assistive technologies'.

also see http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/missed-free-windows-10-upgrade-psst-heres-backdoor/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What are assistive technologies and how do you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

cormie wrote: »
    What are assistive technologies and how do you get them?

do not worry what they are! You just need to tell MS that you have them as they do not check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Windows 10 Professional Genuine License Keys on Adverts for €9

http://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/windows-10-professional-genuine-license-keys/11920523

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Windows 10 Professional Genuine License Keys on Adverts for €9

http://www.adverts.ie/operating-systems/windows-10-professional-genuine-license-keys/11920523

Just to point out that they're not legal. MS can and sometimes do revoke them. I mean €9 is a small gamble and the odds are that it will work and continue to do so but just so you know.

Win10 also works indefinitely on a trial copy, so there's not really any need for a key these days.

Just to point out that they're not legal. MS can and sometimes do revoke them. I mean €9 is a small gamble and the odds are that it will work and continue to do so but just so you know.

Win10 also works indefinitely on a trial copy, so there's not really any need for a key these days.

Can you do a clean install of 10 from an ISO without a key? I mean, is there an option to skip or does it even ask for one on a clean install? (only ever upgraded so far).

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you can install Win 10 completely without a key. You can use it indefinitely, but a lot of functionality is disabled until you activate it.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, you can install Win 10 completely without a key. You can use it indefinitely, but a lot of functionality is disabled until you activate it.

Ah right, the official ISO I have for 10 can install either Home or Pro so I'm assuming that is determined by the key you use during install?

Does the key determine which version of 10 is unlocked even if it's entered after the install?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Does the key determine which version of 10 is unlocked even if it's entered after the install?

Yes

Thanks Guys, I offered €9 and we'll see how it works.

I did a full install on a new SSD drive over the weekend and the only thing it does is display a ghost Windows not activated message in the bottom right corner. I've read that no functionality is disrupted during the operation of Win 10.

Thanks

T

While that is true, I've used many, many MSDN keys in the past and have never had an issue with them.

I think the fact 10 is fully functional without a key and the fact MS really want everyone to migrate to 10, there's a high probability they will leave well enough alone?

9 bucks is worth the punt eitherway ;)

Key installed.

Message is:

Windows is Activated.
    You're now running a genuine version of Windows.

Thanks for the tip.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Why did you pay the €9 for a "not legal" key instead of try the assistive tech route mentioned above?

Advertisement